Start by marking “Four Plays by Eugene O'Neill: Beyond the Horizon, the Emperor Jones, Anna Christie, and the Hairy Ape” as Want to Read:

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  214 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Contained within this volume are some of the best of O'Neill's early one-act plays, which foreshadowed the longer plays that have given this dramatist his most enduring fame. "Beyond the Horizon" was the first of O'Neill's three Pulitzer Prize-winning plays. It follows the disappointed dreams of two brothers on their family farm. "The Emperor Jones" is an expressionistic t ...more
Published January 30th 2009 by (first published February 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Four Plays by Eugene O'Neill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Plays by Eugene O'Neill

Feb 12, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
the emperor jones is all kinds of fucked up. the story is basically about an african-american who has set himself up as emperor of a caribbean island, but the black savage inhabitants of the island are now rebelling, and he must escape through the jungle. jones' dialogue is written in that typical "i sho' is hungee" dialect, yet the play somehow seems to have something to say about what w.e.b. dubois called double consciousness. extremely problematic and therefore extremely interesting.
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Early works that show it. Rough and difficult to read, a few great lines, but overall not worth the effort.
Beyond the Horizon, 4 stars

Albeit sad, I didn't find this play to be as dark and bleak as I had expected.

Indeed there is a love triangle; however, that aspect of the play didn't strike me as the most central.

For me, the play was more about choices and how one deals with and reacts to decisions once they've been made. Does one keep moving forward? Does one become embittered? Does one despise the one who hurt him?

What moved (and surprised) me most was the tenderness the brothers displayed toward
May 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
یوجین اونیل (1953-1888) نمایش نامه نویس آمریکایی برنده ی نوبل، متاثر از تیاتر واقع گرای چخوف و هنریک ایبسن بود. او که سال ها روی کشتی کار کرده بود، در اغلب آثار اولیه اش به زندگی ملاحان و سفرهای دریایی پرداخت. آخرین نمایش نامه های اونیل، بهترین آنها هستند که به نوعی تراژدی شخصیت های نومید مشهور اند.
Candice Beever
Apr 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed all of these plays. They're easy to follow and still relavant today. O'Neill is an amazing playwright. Not surprisingly, two of these plays won him Pulitzers (Beyond the Horizon and Anna Christie). I'd recommend them even if you don't really like reading plays. He uses enough stage direction that it feels like you're reading a novel.
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the Ibsen-like Anna Christie and Beyond the Horizon (depressing, but well-told stories), but the Emperor Jones and Hairy Ape were a little much for me. I found O'Neill's written accents to be distracting to wade through.
Mike Hammer
god stuff, oneill is a great playwrite who puts together tense situations and drives them with good basic dialogue
these are some of his early plays and creative at some points and repetitive at others
but nice overall
D'Argo Agathon
Jan 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
Read *The Emperor Jones* and *The Hairy Ape*. Insane amounts of dialect -- more than Twain? Is that possible? Interesting plays, and I can see why O'Neill was hailed as the first great American playwright, but... to me, they simply aren't *entertaining* because of how moralizing they try to be.
Nicole Marino
Aug 16, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would give it a higher rating, but O'Neill's always better on stage, in my opinion.
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
have most of his plays. great playwrite.

Feb 23, 2008
Aug 30, 2013
Aug 03, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page number 3 131 Oct 13, 2015 12:55PM
  • Six Plays: The Children's Hour / Days to Come / The Little Foxes / Watch on the Rhine / Another Part of the Forest / The Autumn Garden
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature
  • The Four Major Plays: The Seagull / Uncle Vanya / Three Sisters / Cherry Orchard
  • Tiny Alice
  • The Scarlet Citadel
  • Büyülü Dağ (Büyülü Dağ, #1)
  • XML in a Nutshell
  • Five Plays: Antigone, Eurydice, The Ermine, The Rehearsal, Romeo and Jeannette
  • Seventeen
  • Modern Information Retrieval
  • Three Plays: Juno and the Paycock / The Shadow of a Gunman / The Plow and the Stars
  • Three Plays: Exit the King / The Killer / Macbett
  • Incident at Vichy
  • Six Plays: Peer Gynt / A Doll's House / Ghosts / The Wild Duck / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • Four Plays: Summer and Smoke / Orpheus Descending / Suddenly Last Summer / Period of Adjustment
  • Dutchman & The Slave
  • The Penguin Book of Lesbian Short Stories
  • The Best of McSweeney's, Vol. 2
Eugene Gladstone O'Neill was an American playwright who won the 1936 Nobel Prize in Literature "for the power, honesty and deep-felt emotions of his dramatic works, which embody an original concept of tragedy." More than any other dramatist, O'Neill introduced American drama to the dramatic realism pioneered by Russian playwright Anton Chekhov, Norwegian playwright Henrik Ibsen, and Swedish playwr ...more
More about Eugene O'Neill...
“For de small stealing dey puts you in jail, soon or late. But for de big stealing dey puts yo' picture in de paper and yo' statue in de Hall of Fame when you croaks! If dey's one thing I learned in ten years, listenin' to de white quality on de Pullman cars, it's dat same fact. And when I gets a chance to use it -- from stowaway to Emperor in two years. Dat's goin' some!” 1 likes