Start by marking “The Lady or the Tiger? And Other Logic Puzzles” as Want to Read:
The Lady or the Tiger? And Other Logic Puzzles

The Lady or the Tiger? And Other Logic Puzzles

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  330 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The paperback reprint of Smullyan's most successful book of puzzles--a mind-bending, pleasurable romp through the world of logic. For all ages and all levels of difficulty, these puzzles range from those that can be solved in minutes to those that will beguile for hours.
Published October 27th 1992 by Random House Puzzles & Games (first published May 12th 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Lady or the Tiger? And Other Logic Puzzles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lady or the Tiger? And Other Logic Puzzles

Mike
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Beware! This starts out as a puzzle book, then evolves into a challenging look at modern logic. Good stuff, but it turned out to be beyond me.
Serdar
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
More logic fun from Smullyan! Not quite as wide-ranging as some of his other collections -- it's essentially a second helping of the Boolean logic puzzles he first served up in "What Is The Name Of This Book?", followed by an allegorical introduction to Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem (among other things). Still a great way to kill a Sunday or three, though. Bring plenty of scratch paper.
Juliana Jaeger
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An aunt gave me this book when I was around ten years old, and I read and re-read it into my teens; alongside chess, it was part of my introduction to logic, and has heavily influenced my methods of reasoning all the way into adulthood. It's probably the most memorable and pragmatic book of my youth.

It's certainly great for anyone who enjoys puzzles and wacky novels involving non-Einsteinian algebra, though it's really more a very accessible introductory handling of logic which won't terribly ch
Yogi Saputro
This is one of most original puzzle book I've ever read. It is hellish in difficulty. For amateur puzzle lover like me, Metapuzzle is the furthest chapter I can enjoy. From The Mystery of Monte Carlo Lock, it is interesting but I can't fully grasp the concept for now.

Reading it was fun, though. It is like playing game with gradually increasing challenge. First three number is warm up for brain. Then things get more difficult. It is recommended to read the book in order since the puzzle difficult
Isaac Lambert-lin
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book is alright.

I learned about the text from a very basic discrete math class I took Freshmen year of college. This is exactly what I think this book would be fun for: teaching a class like that, and assigning some puzzles.

Otherwise, for most parts, I'm not going to spend a lot of time thinking about these complex puzzles. They get pretty ridiculous- such as involving vampires who only tell lies who may or may not be insane. There are also puzzles about algorithm generation, which turns in
Angela
Aug 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A book of logic puzzles. I used to devour these things as a kid. Now, once I've figured out the general approach of how to solve the puzzle, I lose interest. (i.e., I can definitely relate to this Order of the Stick comic.)

That said, this collection is a great example of it's kind.
Yuval
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is an interesting combination of logic problems, brain-teasers and a brief explanation of Godel's theory. Well written!
Angela Randall
I had a quick look at the puzzles about the Lady or the Tiger and they were pretty good - especially the last one. Looking forward to having time to read the rest.
Swarner
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Raymond Smullyan is my Logician Dumbledore. I own and read every book of his I can get my hands on. Which is well over a dozen.
Atanas Atanasov
Priss Lee
Mar 27, 2014
Ilham Ahed Khatib
Mar 27, 2013
  • Aha! Gotcha: Paradoxes to Puzzle & Delight (Tools for Transformation)
  • The Pleasures of Counting