Start by marking “Jamie's America” as Want to Read:
Jamie's America

Jamie's America

Jamie will try real American food and meet the most interesting cooks and producers that this vast country has to offer. His epic journey will take him to the heart of America: its people, culture, music and, most importantly, its food. Along the way Jamie will be getting his hands dirty - meeting hunters, cowboys, fishermen and local producers - as he finds out about the ...more
Hardcover, Associated with TV series Jamies's American Road Trip, 359 pages
Published September 3rd 2009 by Penguin (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Jamie's America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jamie's America

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
1,185 books — 1,090 voters
The Worst Hard Time by Timothy EganLies My Teacher Told Me by James W. LoewenIn The Neighborhood by Peter LovenheimSeabiscuit by Laura HillenbrandOnly What We Could Carry by Lawson Fusao Inada
American
463 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Jamie's America
Angel
Jan 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jamie Oliver fans, cookbook aficionados
I had some mixed feelings about the book. First, the positive. The photography in the book is excellent. The recipes overall do look pretty good an appetizing, and Jamie's short essay segments are pretty good to read. The negative? This is not a book for those who need to or want to follow a healthy diet. I think that it is a bit of a sharp contrast to Jamie's more recent healthy eating campaign (just look up his TED talk to get an idea what I mean). But ok, I can do go along with that. What I r ...more
The Book Whisperer (aka Boof)
I loathe cooking but I love books (and food!). My husband loathes reading but loves cooking - et voila! I read the book and tell him what yummy foods I want him to cook and he gets down and dirty in the kitchen while I bark orders. Perfect!

Did I mention I hate cooking? Well, I really do. I am totally crap at it. However, I can spend many an hour drooling over a good cook book like Jamie's latest offering. In this one he has toured America and experienced local cooking for himself and
Justin Walshaw
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Entering what can only be called his Bruce Springbean phase of midlife crisis, our hero Mr Oliver boldly wears a white t-shirt to a chilli cook-off and accidentally dismantles the military-industrial complex whilst looking for a lavatory in the White House
Margie
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have marked so many pages in this cookbook - the recipes are interesting, not complicated, and making my mouth water going through them. Bourbon Pecan Tart, Chile Cheese Corn Bread, Southern Pecan & Apple Salad, Peruvian Ceviche . . . I can't wait to try these and many more.

And it's not just recipes in this book. Jamie Oliver states in the beginning of the book that he wanted to get out and satisfy his lifelong curiosity about America: the people, the country, and the food. He includes st
Harpercollins Canada
We've hit stop #11 on our Summer Passport tour: The United States of America!

Unlike so many other countries that have distinguishing features in their cuisine, USA cuisine is not so easy to define. Jamie Oliver thought he knew was to expect from American food, but discovered that once he explored outside of the major cities into the smaller communities the food was diverse and delicious! America has a lot to offer the taste buds and Jamie has narrowed down his favourite 120 dishes th
Sara
Dec 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
It's so cool to get an outsider's perspective on American cooking! Although Oliver doesn't cover all of the regional varieties available here, I'm excited to try his twists on some Southern, Western, and Cajun classics. I also enjoy Oliver's writing style. He gently reminds readers to balance the unhealthier options with light sides, and to only eat the heavy stuff as a treat. He also sprinkles his sense of humor throughout the book. This is a beautiful book filled with delicious-looking picture ...more
Terri
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, cooking
3 stars because for those who live in the Commonwealth, a large portion of the recipes aren't practical for us.
Rianna
38/52 books read in 2018.
14/20 bookshelf reads in 2018.

Part 7 (and the last part so far) of the "OMG I need to figure out what to cook for Christmas" search... 7 books in total to get through (at least).
Conclusion: Definitely not suited for this year's Christmas.

So I have had this book for ages, but never wrote a review of it? Strange. I think I bought this volume at the beginning of my GR journey or something, so that might be the reason why it never ended up here.
April
Feb 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: cook-books
A different sort of cookbook. I enjoyed reading his take on American food, trying to debunk the myths that the British have with regard to American cooking. Beautiful photography and engaging short articles throughout the book about the places he visited, the people he met and worked with in creating this book.

He covers New York City (Pizza, Burgers), Los Angeles, Louisiana (New Orleans - Cajun), Georgia (BBQ), Arizona (which incorporates Native American dishes as well as Mexican foo
Nat
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have to say I wasn't a huge Jamie Oliver fan but I watched every episode of Jamie's America and some of the meals sounded so good I had to buy the book. This is now one of my go-to books for something tasty when I need to live up to the reputation that I can cook! I've made the odd change here and there to fit the taste buds of the people I'm feeding and because I'm not always able to source the exact ingredients he mentions. I thoroughly recommend the Best Baked Beans. I soak 3 choices of bea ...more
Ina
Sep 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
I confess I'm addicted to Jamie. That's why I normally buy every new book of him. Last time I didn't cause I knew most of the recipes in 'Ministry of Food'. This time there were lots of new and promising ideas in the book. The appearance was appealing as always - designed in the usual solid (Jamie)style: Great pictures, clearly arranged recipes and some enjoyable stories. But after trying the fist ones I recognised most of the things were just not my taste. I liked the wild west rice (p 320)and ...more
Kerri
Dec 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, cookbook
Jamie's America is a lot "prettier" of a book than Food Revolution because it not only details recipes that he's learned from various grouped regions of America, but it also highlights photos of the landscapes and people he meets along his travels to discover the best of what American cuisine has cultivated.

The recipes in Jamie's America are for a more advanced and cultured palate than what may cater to fans of Food Revolution, however he does include some staple comfort foods along
Sandra
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
I've made about a quarter to one half of the recipes in this cookbook. Maybe buying a cookbook on American cooking by a Brit was a mistake. I'd say that this cookbook favors pics over precision in the recipes and the lack precision which was frustrating. I followed the peach cobbler recipe precisely and it ended up a mess (though it did taste good)

. Do not, let me repeat, do not even attempt the "Cowboy Apple Pancakes"---what a disaster. The gumbo recipe isn't bad. If you don't know
Christopher
Oct 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: cook-books
I liked this book, there are a lot of great ideas and I tried making a lot of them. The one big inconvenience about this book was that the measurements were ridiculous. I live in Ireland, we have the metric system here, why am I buying a cook book in a shop in ireland where I have to go home and look up on google the equivalent of 1, 2 cups in grams. That was very annoying, and made me want to give up in this book. But after making the burger from the New York chapter, I was curious.

Well done J
Eling
Apr 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I wasn't expecting much out of this, and found myself pleasantly surprised. While I'm not particularly fond of Oliver's chatty "it's like I'm right there talking to you" writing style, I love the concept behind his book almost as much as I love his lightened up versions and takes on classic "American" recipes.

Also rates exceptionally high on my desire for as many photos as possible in a cookbook -- there are accompanying pictures for EVERY recipe.

Got this at the library and have already made a
DianeER
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Well, I found 3 or 4 recipes in here that I copied for adaptation and later use, but somehow I'd thought this might be something other than just a cookbook, not sure why. Never saw the TV series, but I usually like watching Brits work their way around the USA and find their comments enjoyable and sometimes highly insightful. Maybe I'll see if I can find the TV show streaming somewhere so I can engage in armchair drooling.
Steph
Apr 18, 2012 rated it liked it
As someone who is most likely to boil pasta and toss it with spaghetti sauce and call it a home-made meal, I can say I probably won't be attempting very many recipes out of this book. Despite that, I found the stories that came with each recipe interesting, and they were some that really caught my eye (I've already started bugging my boyfriend to make the apple pancakes). I wish I was willing to spend more than 30 minutes or so in the kitchen, cause a lot of the recipes look delish.
Patrick Wasik
In my opinion, ALOT of the recipes don't work well, but the pictures and illustrations work well as a coffee table book. It is a good icebreaker to grab a persons attention that may not be involved in your other conversations. However I must add, had this book not been 80% off in a bin and I didn't recognize Jamie, I definitely would have kept walking past it. Meh!
Deb
Aug 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My favorite Jamie book to date! Love the recipes and stories. It gives a real look at American cooking and opens people to the idea that its not all doughnuts and pizza! Love the fact that there's viable suggestions for ingredient substitutions for things just not available on this side of the pond, although chorizo will never replace real andouille in my book! ;)
C
Oct 14, 2010 rated it liked it
A flip through showed some REALLY tasty looking tex mex and americana good-eats. Looking forward to trying a couple recipes.

Edit 10/29/10
I probably won't try any specific recipes, but a few have inspired other ideas. I recommend the book for Jamie Oliver fans or as a coffee table book. The recipes look good, but ... I got sidetracked.
Felicia
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: taste
I love the physicality of the book, the weight of it and the paper. I would love to display it as a coffee table book one day. I found Jamie's curiosity about American life and cuisine to be heartfelt and sweet without being cloying. And of course the recipes are outstanding, I'm going to enjoy making them!
Scottsdale Public Library
This beautiful book is an enjoyable illustration of a British chef's take on American culinary tradition. Recipes are interesting and relatively simple, and Mr. Oliver's recounting of his experiences with the everyday Americans who inspired many of his dishes is entertaining as well. A fun read for Jamie Oliver fans.

-- Meagan
Alien  Citizen
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Interesting read, even for two vegetarians. My boyfriend liked reading the stories about Jamie's experiences across America and accused me of liking it just for the cute pictures of Jamie out in the American wilderness, sometimes trying to look like a trucker but too cute to even pretend to have the edge of someone who lives a hard life like that.
Bob
Oct 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've always LOVED Jamie's books (his show and books taught me to love cooking), but as an American I always found his recipes a little challenging due to their European slant. This book takes American favorites and presents them in the way I can fully grasp.

This is a library book, but it's on my 'to purchase' ASAP list!
Amie
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Love this collection of recipes! More recipes than I expected. Found this at TJ Maxx for only $8. He divides the recipes by region: New York, Georgia, Louisiana, Arizona (including Mexican and Navajo recipes), Los Angelas and the Wild West.
Amy
I love the design and the photography and Jamie mixing it up with the locals and their fare, but I only really gravitated towards a couple of recipes... but the Awesome Apple Pancakes are FANTASTIC. It was worth a check out at the library.
Rosann
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I like to read AND use my cookbooks. Jamie Oliver's love story to both America and American cooking was a lovely read, and chock full of good ideas, helpful asides, and personal notes. Great inclusion of wine suggestions with each dish.
Henry C.
Jan 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Years ago Jamie has a great cooking show on the Food Network. I watched regularly and learned a great deal creating flavor from simple ingredients. This book is a must read for any serious foodie who's looking to try a different approach to some old time standards of American food.
Stephanie Graves
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I love his cookbooks.
Don't judge me.
And yes, I know it's ridiculous to buy an "American" cookbook by a visting Brit.
Whatever.
The Dan dan noodles and Candied Bacon Salad alone are worth your derision.
Alison
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
Meh...there wasn't really much I wanted to make in this (though I did try a few things), and the design drove me insane. Is it so much to ask cookbook authors to make a table of contents?!?! Especially when there are SO MANY RECIPES.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey
  • Baking Made Easy: 100 Fabulous Easy to Bake Recipies
  • Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes
  • Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook
  • The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old Fashioned Recipes From New York's Sweetest Bakery
  • Apples for Jam: A Colorful Cookbook
  • Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You'll Make Over and Over Again
  • River Cottage Every Day
  • Gordon Ramsay's Fast Food: Recipes from the F Word. with Mark Sargeant and Emily Quah
  • Nigella Express: Good Food, Fast

James Trevor "Jamie" Oliver, sometimes known as The Naked Chef, is an English chef and media personality well known for his growing list of food-focused television shows, his more recent roles in campaigning against the use of processed foods in national schools, and his campaign to ch