Start by marking “Hounded to Death ("Sister" Jane, #7)” as Want to Read:
Hounded to Death ("Sister" Jane, #7)

Hounded to Death

("Sister" Jane #7)

"Sister" Jane Arnold, esteemed master of the Jefferson Hunt Club, has traveled to Kentucky for one of the biggest events of the season: the Mid-America Hound Show, where foxhounds, bassets, and beagles gather to strut their champion bloodline stuff. But the fun is squelched when immediately after the competition a contestant turns up dead-stripped to the waist and peppered ...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Ballantine Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Hounded to Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hounded to Death

Start your review of Hounded to Death ("Sister" Jane, #7)
Jim
I thought I'd like this since it is set in KY at the Shaker Village where I often ride & is about showing hounds. Nope. Audio is not the way for me to read these books. I read the first few in paperback which is much better since I can quickly skim past all the explanations & opinions. They might be necessary for those who don't know anything about hunting, but that's not me. The narrator wasn't bad, but I just found it tedious.
Barbara
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Rumor has it that this book, published in 2008, may be the last volume in Rita Mae Brown's Sister Jane fox-hunting series. If that's so, I'll be sorry. Like the Nancy Drew books of my childhood, I've gotten used to the characters, the setting and even the rituals of fox-hunting, and I would hate to lose this fictional world which is far more interesting than Nancy's was! Hounded to Death is a bit less tight than the others in the series, but the solution to the mystery is clever and somewhat ...more
Amanda Marshall
Oct 11, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I got this from the library as a playaway (book on 'tape' sort of deal), which, if it had been an actual book I most likely would have stopped reading it. Let me just say that a 'murder mystery' genre does not go well with whimsical talking animals. So ridiculous. She also went waaaaaay overboard with the hound hunting info. Super boring. So to sum things up, it was a ridiculous, boring book; how she's managed to garner a following baffles me.
Megan
Jul 08, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When the author takes up 20 pages introducing each character (info that is not crucial to the story) including each dog, horse, and domestic pet, you know you are in trouble. When the author makes each hound, horse and domestic pet actually carry on conversations in the book you should probably put it down. There was some language. The story was ok with a decent twist. Definitely for insane animal lovers.
Katharine Reynolds
I love all the Sister Jane books. This one seemed a little rushed. I was hoping for more talk between the animals. She hbas been introducing new foxes and I was hoping for more background on them. The human element was good. Love the ending. I do wish Ms. Brown would consider doing more Jane books. She's still young!
Mascanlon
Dec 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy my time with Sister and her horses and hounds. Once again this was a clever mystery set in the hunting community of Virginia. Cast of characters included not only many of the regulars in the Hunt and surrounding neighbors but the hounds, horses, owls, cats and of course the foxes of the area.
Joseph
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those series that I have read over the years and really like. Its not a fast moving plot or anything, but its nice to be home with these characters that Ive followed over the years. I enjoy this series and when I need a happy good book I always look for one of Rita Mae Browns books.

Linda
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Tally Ho! Another "Sister" Jane mystery with all of the characters you have come to know.This time set in the off season,with less hunting and more hound shows. There are mysterious murders, secrets and of course the horses dogs and foxes comment on the goings on of those humans. So cozy.
Loree Harrell
Aug 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, opted-out
Gave it a good shot and opted out on page 87. The writing style felt awkward to me, and the conversing dogs drove me a bit nuts, but it could certainly be a personal problem - as obviously there are enough fans out there to support a whole bunch of books :).
Lori Hendrix
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Brown book. I enjoyed learning a bit about fox hunting. I like how Brown weaves in animal dialogue. The Cast Characters and Useful Terms sections were helpful as well.
Corinna Lewis
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horse-themed
Loved all the Sister Jane mysteries! Not going to list them all, just this one as a place holder.
Diane Large
The plot was a little slow with a surprise ending for me. I do enjoy Sister Jane and certainly learn so much about fox hunting.
Donna
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the animal comments Great plot.
Crystal
Apr 22, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rejects
I almost put this book down after seeing the 12 pages of introductory material, consisting of an introduction to all characters--human and animal--as well as a glossary of fox hunting and hound management terminology. But I didn't; I kept reading. Sigh.

All in all, there was probably 1 page of actual detecting. Some things would happen, the main characters would then make some assumptions, and the ending, the solution, came as a complete surprise. As a mystery, it was not satisfying nor
Tara Choate
Unfortunately, this was another "Jane" book that just didn't deliver. While there were two hunts at the end of the books (finally...) the rest of it had almost no animals. The plot itself was disjointed and thin; literally unbelievable. While I will continue "reading" the series, at least for one more, I'm starting to doubt that reading will really be involved... I essentially skimmed this one. I believe this may be what I did for the last two books in this series, which is why I did not ...more
Rebecca Mulligan
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Hounds Have It.

This is another in the Sister Jane hunt series. Rita Mae Brown does a wonderful job of describing various hound shows which take place in and around Virginia, during one of which the first of several murders occurs. The emphasis in this series is on hunting and country life; solutions to the mystery are fairly obvious, despite a well crafted misdirection by Ms. Brown. If you like a nice, fun to read cozy mystery, this book (and the series) is for you. Rita Mae Brown is a
Tori
Nov 10, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-fiction
Though I love this author's Sneaky Pie Brown mystries about Mrs. Murphy, I honestly don't know why I kept reading this. The characters were okay, but not as engaging, and while the setting was interesting, the plot did not gel at all. And while the talking animals are a source of delight in those other books, they were simply a contrived annoyance in this one that broke up the flow of the narrative. Additionally, the POV drifted so much it was difficult to keep the characters straight, and a lot ...more
Apr 05, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
This book didn't excite me. This is not a story of an active investigation. The characters passively let clues come to them; and they don't even get involved until half of the book is over. Other comments I could make would spoil the end - let's just say the passivity continues all the way through. A disappointing story all the way through, but perhaps interesting for people following the characters from earlier books.

Priscilla Melchior
Working my way through the Sister Jane series. Much of my enjoyment is focused on its proximity to where I live (though I'm not THAT close), and I like the characters human and animal a lot. I could do without some of the political asides, though I'm in agreement with her 99 percent of the time. They just seem out of place much of the time.

Like all Sister Jane books, this is a cozy mystery and lots of fun without being incredibly demanding. On to the next!
George
Feb 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#7 in the "Sister" Jane mystery series set in central Virginia fox hunting society. Story involves apparently unrelated multiple murders which Sister eventually untangles. The series revolves around several established characters and the inter-relations between them as well a lot about fox hunting and hound raising.

This is the first in the series that I have read and found it quite enjoyable, especially the slowly unfolding mystery.
Madeline
Much improved over the last book in the series! Brown decided to change the scenery of this book, which made it less formulaic than the previous books. I loved the new information about showing hunting dogs. So far, my favorite in the series. While this series won't win any awards, I always enjoy these for a quick read!
Vickie
Nov 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love her horse and hound series. This was a interesting addition because she talked about showing dogs and a little about the production of fine bourbon. I always respect the power of great old people in fiction - oldsters rule! This one has a gentleman friend and she even cheats on him. Go figure.
Meghan
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery, traded
A much better showing than the previous novel in the series with very little "animal chat" and far less extraneous detail on foxhunting etiquette. This time Brown is back to well-crafted mystery and interesting characters. I figured out most (though not all) of the "why" but it wasn't until close to the end that I guessed the "who." (4 stars)
Rexanna Ipock-Brown
Sister Jane is at it again! I love this series of Rita Mae Brown. The characters are people I would love to know. This book has violence, murder, social commentary and yet it is handled with such finesse I can read it before going to bed and not have nightmares. I can't wait until Rita Mae Brown has a new book published.
Mary Frances
Beginning to get tired of her "educating" readers about fox hunting. This time she also slipped in an anti-Federal reserve comment. Don't need her odd political comments that are not really pertinent to the surrounding dialogue. I finished this one but deleted the other library loan of the next book in the series from my Kindle, feeling it would not be worth my time.
Laura Owens
May 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I never finished this. I am a "horse person" but I think you need to be a diehard fox hunting enthusiast to really enjoy this book. It was way too in depth of stuff that just wasn't interesting to me and not much story development to hold me into it. So I didn't force it.
Laura Brown
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the world of fox hunting as depicted in this series of books. I'm not sure if it is due to my being more familiar with the characters but this tale seemed more enjoyable than some have been. I was really shocked at who the "bad guy" ended up. being.
Michel
Nov 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, va
The mystery part is a little weakish, but what fun to read about my own backyard, with the venerable Keswick Hunt Club, hilltoppings, beagling, riding, foxhunting... Will double my pleasure to attend the Blessing of the Hounds at Grace Church next Thanksgiving.
Robin
Nov 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this new addtion to the Sister Jane murder mystery series. A very quick read and if you enjoy horses, for that matter animals and the outdoors, this would be a good introduction to this series by Rita Mae Brown.
Becky Galambos
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
April 2012 -A good book, wraps up a bunch of storylines from previous novels, really hope there is another book!

2016 - Rereading the series, and really hoping there is another book soon as it has been two years since the last one. I love this series.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
  • The Book of Candlelight (Secret, Book, & Scone Society, #3)
  • Sins of the Fathers (J.P. Beaumont #24)
  • Murder at the Brightwell (Amory Ames Mystery, #1)
  • A Most Novel Revenge (Amory Ames Mystery #3)
  • Let It Snow
  • Murder, She Barked (Paws and Claws Mystery, #1)
  • The Burglar Who Liked to Quote Kipling (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #3)
  • The Mystwick School of Musicraft
  • The Strangers on Montagu Street (Tradd Street, #3)
  • The Art of Theft (Lady Sherlock, #4)
  • Shot Through the Hearth (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #7)
  • Beating About the Bush (Agatha Raisin, #30)
  • The Girl On Legare Street (Tradd Street, #2)
  • Sugarplum Dead (Death on Demand, #12)
  • Plum Lucky (Stephanie Plum, #13.5)
  • Not a Creature Was Purring (Paws and Claws Mystery, #5)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the

"Sister" Jane (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Outfoxed ("Sister" Jane, #1)
  • Hotspur ("Sister" Jane, #2)
  • Full Cry ("Sister" Jane, #3)
  • The Hunt Ball  ("Sister" Jane, #4)
  • The Hounds and the Fury ("Sister" Jane, #5)
  • The Tell-tale Horse ("Sister" Jane, #6)
  • Fox Tracks ("Sister" Jane #8)
  • Let Sleeping Dogs Lie (Sister" Jane, #9)
  • Crazy Like a Fox ("Sister" Jane #10)
  • Homeward Hound ("Sister" Jane, #11)

News & Interviews