Start by marking “Out of the Blue” as Want to Read:
Out of the Blue

Out of the Blue

Grieving over the death of his lover, British flying ace Bat Bryant accidentally kills the man threatening him with exposure. Unfortunately there’s a witness: the big, rough American they call “Cowboy” – and Cowboy has his own price for silence.
Published August 31st 2009 by Liquid Silver Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Blue

Ingie
Written December 12, 2015

3.2 Stars - Rather short but hot, intense and fairly romantic - add that it is all set in a terribly dangerous WWI environment - ...a hundred years ago

I listened to Josh Lanyon's historical Out of the Blue novella. Three audiobook hours well narrated by Alexander Masters.

Jolly good, chaps! ...Or?
Not JL's very #1-class best book but for sure a nice and well done novella for three enjoying and interesting M/M romance audio hours. ~ 3 stars compared to Lanyon's other
Bev
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq-mm

Another good Josh Lanyon tale, short but sweet, if you can say that about World War I

This was the tale of flying aces in middle of the first World War, and yes, the relevant episode of 'Blackadder' came to my mind several times I'm sorry to say.

'Bat' (Aubrey, yep, they mostly had crazy nicknames), was an ace pilot with a number of kills, who just happened to like one of the other pilots 'Owl' (Gene). Gene had unfortunately been killed, and Bat's mechanic Orton had discovered incriminating eviden
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Oct 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Emanuela ~plastic duck~ by: Snowtulip
Michael
Nov 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Sofia
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it

A good read. Extreme situations lead to extreme solutions.

(view spoiler)
Johanna
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, m-m, josh-lanyon
I better start this review with two obvious facts:

1) This story was about a British fighter pilot stationed in France during World War I.
2) I would never have thought that I'd enjoy such a story this much.

Out of the Blue is a perfect example of how talented and multifaceted Josh Lanyon is as a writer. I can only imagine the amount of research it takes to write a story like this one. And the amount of daring it takes, too.

There is certainly sadness about the story. I like the way the horrors of w
Natasha
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

Beautiful little snippet into a sad time in the life of Bat.

Very gorgeous, stark, and just enough.
Jenre
Sep 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historicals, m-m, drama
In this novella, Josh Lanyon has stepped out of his comfort zone and written, not a mystery, but a drama set in 1st World War France. It tells the story of Bat, who is serving as a pilot and the equivalent of a squadron leader, in the RFC (the forerunner of the Royal Air Force). This involves patrolling over enemy lines twice a day, in what was basically an aeroplane made of wood, canvas and engine parts, looking for, and engaging with German planes. It's a dangerous job and nearly every time th ...more
Lauraadriana
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fave-authors, m-m
This short story was just another example to me that Josh Lanyon CAN WRITE ANYTHING WELL...

This is a war story...Bat a British pilot serving in France during WWI accidentally has killed a mechanic trying to blackmail him about his relationship with another pilot who has just been shot down...In comes Cowboy a Yank pilot...Cowboy helps Bat to sort out the mess.

Cowboy wants Bat, and he not beyond being sneaky to get him, they begin a sexual relationship new territory for Bat despite his past relat
sage
Ami
Nov 27, 2009 rated it liked it
OUT OF THE BLUE is set in 1916; story about two pilot/fighters. Again, it's a nice and light read. I wish that it is not a novella because I think it will be more interesting if it's longer. The setting can be epic, the love story can be more depth.
Aug 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbt-fiction
After the death of his lover Bat is a man who seems to have no reason to carry on other than leading his squadron into battle. There he takes unnecessary risks and is filled with despair. Things get even worse when, on the verge of being cruelly blackmailed, he accidently kills the man trying to extort money from him. Cowboy, an American pilot proves to be an unlikely ally after witnessing the crime and comes to Bat’s aid. Cowboy has his own agenda however and exacts a high price for his assista ...more
Emma Sea
May 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Typical Lanyon story: he made me cry yet again. I would have liked an HEA, rather than a barely HFN, but I loved the storytelling on the way. I'm not generally a fan for war stories but the dogfight sections were marvellous. Thank you for the great pick, Cheryl :)

Kati
Sep 15, 2009 rated it liked it
I think this is my least favorite book written by Josh Lanyon. I just had a hard time empathizing with the characters. Especially Cowboy's attitude towards Bat bothered me. Telling someone, I know you want it, while you're blackmailing him into having sex... I don't know, it really bothered me.
J
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Poignant and beautiful story of men who face their mortality daily and the loss of lovers, friends, brothers, and comrades. Bat experiences passion and intimacy in Cowboy's arms. Through Cowboy's persistence, affection, and tenderness, (Bat) allows himself to live, love, and make the moment count...
Katharina
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Again, I have to concede that Josh Lanyon is simply a master at writing short stories. This book again shows that you can put character depth and development, thorough world building, selective minute descriptions, and a rounded and satisfying story into a book length that (in the edition I bought) was less than 100 pages.
Having said that, I have to admit that this is not my favourite story plot-wise, but Lanyon's familiar writing proficiency, his talent for story construction and pace - all tha
JR
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: romantics
Such a simple story, but so much packed into a few pages. The days of a pilot in World War I are recreated with loving detail. A romance between a Brit and a Yank, who could ask for more. Well, I could but that would be for the story to be longer. Another amazing piece of writing by Mr. Lanyon.
Tami
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I stayed away from this one for some time, because of the setting (WWI). And I was right, it made me cry.But it was also so very beautiful.

A poignant short novel about two pilots - it was simply beautiful.
Heather C
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
It took me a little bit to get into this one and much of the sex was pretty much dubious, but I ended up really liking it in the end. I loved Bat and Cowboy and it saddens me to know that these two probably won't be together forever. :(
Arlyn
I absolutely consumed this book. It was one of the most readable historical books I've ever come across. Josh Lanyon is a wonder at pulling a reader in and evoking a depth of emotional investment in the main characters. This book was heartbreaking, suspenseful and sexy. Both main characters had charisma and sex appeal in spades. Their plight, however, was daunting.

Both men were ace fighter pilots in an elite squadron in WWI. The odds of either man surviving the war were slim. The odds of both m
CrabbyPatty
Franch, 1916 - Lanyon really has a great style with action - not flowery and overly descriptive, but just enough that you can see the planes dog fighting above the trenches and the staggering loss of life. Bat, Cowboy, Tubby and all the pilots of A Squadron know that any day could be their last. Do you succumb to the terror and distance yourself from everyone, or do you grab life by the balls and hang on?
What did it matter really? Both he and Cowboy could also be dead the next day — within a fe
ttg
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This historical romance novella was an intense and riveting read. Set in France during WW1, the story focuses on Bat, a British soldier who leads a squadron of pilots. The novella begins with Bat accidentally committing a crime, and then to his rescue comes Cowboy, a swaggering American pilot on his team who steps in to assist in covering things up. Only Bat realizes that Cowboy has a price, and that Bat’s relationship with his teammate, recently killed in battle, was not as secret as he’d thoug ...more
Ryan Loveless
Sep 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Allybaba
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this - this is how a novella is done - it's almost unbelievable how much detail and development happens in 100 pages. This is one of the few authors from which I will consciously buy a novella. As a rule I don’t like them because I always end up feeling cheated that it's too short, too expensive, plain stupid and I typically will not purchase unless they are part of a larger story arc.

Even with a HFN ending and the threat of death to the MCs because of the war, it was still satisfying.
Charly
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 8/10

PROS:
- Some excellent writing. Here’s an example: “A crust of frost sparkled on the ground like broken stars and a hint of cordite drifted on the breeze.” I just discovered Lanyon pretty recently, and I’m impressed.
- Well-formed and interesting characters.
- Intricate and all-encompassing WWI details. The historical setting is depicted very well. I found the air battles particularly intriguing.

CON:
- Kind of sad.
John
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Delightful story, well written and attentive to detail that gives the reader the sense of being among WWI flyers. In a short novel, it's admirable to be transported to a remote time and place so effectively. It's a compelling plot peopled by believable characters, and not without it's twists. Like many of Josh Lanyon's stories ends like a ski-jump: You know where you'll land, but you're still flying through the air when the final page arrives.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Okay guys, my last Josh Lanyon post but... price drop to $0.99 at Amazon US for Kindle! 6/14/13!
Bryl Tyne
Oct 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historical Military M/M romance fans
Out of the Blue is some of Lanyon's best writing. I loved this story.
Calila
Eh. An okay read set during the first world war. The characters were fine. Bat's grief over his ex was well written. Cowboy's refusal to let Bat give up on life was nice. I'm uncomfortable with the dubious consent, but the characters are both aware and seem to not care so I'm not that bothered. It would be interesting to read what happens after the war, if they both survive, do they go their separate ways?
Lynn
It's really hard to say why I didn't like this story without giving away major spoilers. What I can say is the story was all over the place and the actions of the characters were at best stupid and at worst dubious / ludicrous.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Because of the Brave
  • According To Hoyle
  • Skybound
  • The Auspicious Troubles of Chance (The Auspicious Troubles of Love, #1)
  • False Colors
  • Ransom (Royal Navy, #1)
  • Lessons in Discovery (Cambridge Fellows, #3)
  • Bonds of Earth
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • Well Traveled (Gideon and Jedediah, #1)
  • Whistling in the Dark
  • Dash and Dingo: In Search of the Tasmanian Tiger
  • Lover's Knot
  • Seducing Stephen
  • Kindred Hearts
  • One More Soldier
  • Bound Forever (Bound, #3)
Josh Lanyon is the author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance.

Her work has been translated into eleven languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be published by Harlequin Mondadori, the largest romance publisher in Italy. Stranger on the Shore (Harper Collins Italia) was the f