Start by marking “The Dying Days” as Want to Read:
The Dying Days

The Dying Days (Virgin New Adventures #61)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  159 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The first, last and only New Adventure to feature the Eighth Doctor. Britain is under threat of invasion by the Ice Warriors from Mars. The only people who can save the country are the Doctor, the two Brigadiers and Professor Bernice Summerfield.
Published April 18th 1997 by Virgin Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Dying Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dying Days

Shannon Appelcline
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
A strong first-take on a new Doctor that's so much better than BBC's The Eight Doctors. It's unfortunate that this was Virgin's only use of the character.

Positioning Eight with his old companion, Benny, was a great way to help define him — even though Benny does take over toward the end of the book, to highlight her own upcoming series. The adventure is also very nicely conceived, with the Ice Warriors invading modern London. There's tons of continuity here, all paid proper respect, but it doesn
Matthew Kresal
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If Doctor Who has shown us anything in the last fifty years, it is that change is inevitable. 1996 and 1997 certainly proved that was the case as the optimism surrounding the TV Movie gave way to cynicism when it failed to give way to revived television series and many wondered if the show was dead for good. In the world of the Doctor's paper bound adventures, change was in the air as well as the BBC effectively revoked its license to Virgin in favor of starting its own series of novels. While t ...more
Malin
May 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Doctor Who is the longest running science fiction show in the world. The British show ran for 26 seasons from 1963 until it got cancelled in 1989. The Doctor, a time travelling alien (a Time Lord) from the planet Gallifrey, travels though space and time, experiencing adventures and righting wrongs all over the Universe (but strangely seems to spend most of the time in his televised adventures on Earth). His time machine/space ship looks like a 1950s blue police box, and is quite a lot bigger on ...more
Aaron Smyth
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm not a huge fan of Doctor Who books from any era. This book certainly does feel it's age, also. Email was just becoming a mass commodity and mobile phones were in the hands of the rich and powerful. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the Ice Warriors in any of the series out there. I mostly read this book because it was the only book that featured Bernice Summerfield and the Eighth Doctor in the same book.

I really like Benny. I got to know her from the audio plays that are actually placed in her tim
Jacob Webb
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Notice: It’s worth mentioning here that I haven’t read any of the previous Virgin New Adventures, nor in fact any Who-related media from Virgin (except Dancing The Code, which was awesome), there are therefore several contextual layers to this book upon which I cannot comment, I am given to believe that it’s stacked with in-jokes and references, but I can’t say much about those, just as I can’t tell you weather Bernice Summerfield is in character or not. this did not interfere with my appreciati ...more
Just A. Bean
Dec 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This book is better than its cover art!

The author is going for a Tom Clancy Writes The War of the Worlds sort of angle, which is fine except he doesn't have the page space for proper Tom Clancy (and I've been kind of Over Tom Clancy since I turned sixteen), and the dependency on multiple PoV to show the full situation somewhat sidelines the Doctor and Benny.

What we get of Eight and Benny, especially as it's her first meeting with this regeneration, is a delight, and I love the ending. I came at
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/535272.html[return][return]This is a story of the Eighth Doctor, Bernice Summerfield and the Brigadier defending 1997 London from an invasion of Ice Warriors from Mars. There is lots to like here. I especially liked the setting - the casual name-dropping of real celebrities from 1997 (including Lalla Ward twice, once as herself and once as Romana), but in the world of Doctor Who (the Whoniverse?), where the UK has had a massive space programme since the early 1970s - a ...more
Michael Otway
Mar 10, 2013 rated it liked it
This is one of thosebooks I wish I could give half stars for. I would actually give this a 3.5 but couldn't bring myself to give it 4 because although it is enjoyable, there is just too much wrong with it.

The writing is good, the story is good, the action is great and the characters well realised. It is well worth reading and I would definitely recommend it.

My main problems were that the entire middle of the book has no Doctor in it at all and just drags on, he's really only in the beginning and
Kieran
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Given that Doctor Who is now a BBC staple, a multi-million pound flagship programme for the Corporation, it is hard to remember that between 1989 and 2005 the show was dead in the water, at one point consisting of a single desk in the BBC Books office. The Dying Days comes in halfway through this long time in the wilderness. And what a book. I couldn't put it down! So many 90s references were a dream to this 90s child. Good monsters, good villains, good cast of heroes... And at the centre of it ...more
Wesley Asbell
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A must read for all Doctor Who fans (or just fans of the 8th incarnation of the popular Timelord). It's the only Virgin - New Adventure to feature the 8th Doctor as portrayed by actor Paul McGann in the FOX TV movie. It shares a lot of themes with the latest version of the show, making it accessible to new fans; A massive alien space ship over London, pop culture references galore, a spunky time-traveling archeologist and of course the Doctor snogging somebody...
Victor
at one point, in order to get access to an internet cafe, the Doctor tells Bernice 'she's not a child anymore...' heavily implying that she should bribe the attendant (a man) with what must be assumed to be sexual favors.

it turns out she just talks to the guy about star trek but the way it was written was just fucking awful. the doctor would never imply for his companions to do shit like that.
Daniel Kukwa
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
If you don't fall in love with Paul McGann's 8th Doctor after reading this breathless novel, then you have no romance in your soul. :) I've always had an appreciation for Lance Parkin's writing...and he gives the 8th Doctor a fabulous, outrageous & epic print introduction.
Lori S.
Jun 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Good.
Angela
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Worth the wait. Benny, 2 brigs, Bessie, Ice Warriors, and the Doctor. A fun but serious invasion story that keeps the reader hooked.
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tossed, club-specials
The Ice Warriors show up to subjugate Earth, but are ultimately defeated by the Eighth Doctor, Bernice Summerfield, The Brig and Brigadier Bambera. This kind of sagged in the middle for me.
Alejandra
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doctor-who
Any book with a party with Jarvis Cocker, Stephen Hawking, Richard Dawkins, Gillian Anderson and The Doctor as guests, is okay with me.
J. Burton
  • Doctor Who: Alien Bodies
  • Doctor Who: Bad Therapy
  • Doctor Who: The City of the Dead
  • Doctor Who: GodEngine
Lance Parkin is an author who has written professional Doctor Who fiction since the 1990s. He is one of the few authors to write for both the 1963 and 2005 version of the programme — though much of his fiction has actually been based on the 1996 iteration. Indeed, he was notably the first author to write original prose for the Eighth Doctor in The Dying Days. He was also the author chosen to deliv ...more
More about Lance Parkin...

Virgin New Adventures (1 - 10 of 61 books)
  • Doctor Who: Timewyrm: Genesys