Start by marking “Prefabulous and Sustainable: Building and Customizing an Affordable, Energy-Efficient Home” as Want to Read:

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  91 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Prefabulous and Sustainable dispels the negative myths associated with prefab homes and shows the reader how beautiful and remarkably green prefab homes are.

In this guide to prefab home-building author Sheri Koones, demystifies the prefabricated house by using 25 unique homes to showcase how factory-built homes are greener, more efficient, sturdier, and more cost-effective
Published April 1st 2010 by Harry N. Abrams (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Prefabulous and Sustainable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prefabulous and Sustainable

Steve
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Simply beautiful. Who knew prefab, modular homes could be so green and sustainable? This book profiles examples of homes built through modular/prefab construction while incorporating many sustainable materials and technologies available (Including one home in my hometown of Saint Louis!). Every conceivable aspect of home construction from photovoltaic system and recycled blue-jean wall insulation to construction waste reduction and passive heating and cooling is covered. Most surprisingly is jus ...more
Megan Clardy
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
I wished this book would focus more on affordable, and customizing. It was more like a glorified issue of Dwell magazine. The featured houses were very lovely, but this book was not what I hoped.
Tressa
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Prefabulous + Sustainable had different styles and levels of “greenness.” There were a lot of ideas to consider.
Lauren
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Affordable? No. Eco-friendly? Not...really. It's part of the way there. But "recycled" (usually only partially) and "recyclable" materials are not necessarily all that awesome, and there is a lot of focus on energy star appliances. The appliances alone do not an eco-friendly house make. This kind of seemed like a book to assuage the guilt of rich people looking to build second houses...there are far better sustainable housing books out there. But at the same time, I enjoyed looking through it, s ...more
Nell
Nov 27, 2012 rated it liked it
It's a pipe dream of mine that someday I'll be able to build a home. Prefab has come a long way since the double-wide; it can be attractive, energy saving, and built using fewer resources and creating less waste than stick-built structures. Not that I think it will ever happen for me. Sometimes it's nice just to sit and look at the pretty photos.
Stacy
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read this twice. First time, I went through all of the pictures saying clever things like, "Oh!" and "Ah!" and "Love that!" Second time, I read everything I could about the building of the homes feeatured in the book. I'd happily move into almost every home in here!
Tuck
Aug 10, 2010 rated it liked it
good examples of green or greenish pre-fab homes and home building. lots of nice color pics and descriptions of greener ways to build. but all this is unbelievably expensive from a poor oklahoma librarian point-of-view.
Nora
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Today's prefabricated houses are a far cry from the mobile homes of the past. These homes are more environmentally friendly to build & more energy efficient to live in. They come in a variety of styles with hundreds of options to choose from.
Sandy
Dec 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting book of 25 house designs and concepts of building modular and green. The way of the future.
Oct 07, 2011 rated it liked it
"Affordable" seems like it's a bit of a stretch. Even still, I found my dream house in this book. None of the other houses really did anything for me.
Heather
Jul 20, 2011 marked it as to-read
Self note: for bldg @farm, Mollyeo.
Megan Tiede
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot! While I'm not planning on a house right now, it was fun to read and look at.
Lisa