Start by marking “The Westminster Confession of Faith: For Study Classes” as Want to Read:
The Westminster Confession of Faith: For Study Classes

The Westminster Confession of Faith: For Study Classes

This exposition, a standard in the field, was written to aid the church in recovering with certainty the rich heritage of the Reformation faith.
Published November 1st 2003 by P & R Publishing (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Westminster Confession of Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Westminster Confession of Faith

John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A must read for people who need to know what their faith teaches.
Brianna Bratrud
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Forever indebted to the men that made this document. What a heritage and a blessing.
Chad Warner
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
Thorough and helpful commentary on Westminster Confession of Faith. William shows "(1) the firm scriptural foundation of the teaching of this Confession, and (2) the relevance of this Confession for today."

Notes
1. Of the Holy Scriptures
Internal evidence that Bible is God's Word
• NT writers accept OT as God's Word (Acts 4:24-25; Luke 1:68-79; Matt 5:18; John 10:35).
• Christ promised to give Holy Spirit to apostles so they could write NT (John 15:26-27).
• Apostles treated each others' writings as Go/>Internal/>1./> ...more
Rock Rockwell
Oct 07, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctrine
The best commentary on the WCF that I know of. It is a study guide with questions through each chapter. Williamson is thorough without losing you along the way. Many Presbyterian seminarians use this book to help study for their ordination exams. It is a worthy read for anyone to understand basic reformed theological concepts as outlined in the WCF.
May 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Westminster Confession of Faith: A Study Manual by G. I. Williamson (1964)
Vincent Stewart
Great read highly recommend for anyone looking for clarity on their Christian faith.

I have to say Wow! I'm 34 years old at the time of this review. I grew up in and have spent most of my adult life apart of different denominations and non-denominations in the charismatic evangelical church.

I was introduced to reformed theology about a year ago and have been studying its history and theology ravenously ever since my curiosity was peaked. This book brought a lot of clarity to many holes I have h
Jacob Aitken
Aug 04, 2011 rated it liked it
One must evaluate this book according to its purpose and usefulness, and not whether one agrees with the contents. Seen simply as an attempt to explicate the documents which identify the Presbyterian faith, the book succeeds quite well. The book tells one *how* to interpret the Westminster Confession of Faith, which is the document that serious Reformed churches and ministers *must* believe (and if you disagree with that last statement, trying saying that on the floor of Presbytery when you are ...more
Scott Cox
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, theology
This is an excellent exposition and study guide for the historic Presbyterian Westminster Confession of Faith. In my opinion, G.I. Williamson is at his best when he analyzes and explains the Reformed doctrines of Election and Free Will (liberty versus ability), Justification by faith, the Sacraments (signs and seals), Church Discipline, and the Regulative Principle of Worship. He provides excellent analogies, diagrams, and scriptural references. However I feel that Williamson is weakest on the s ...more
Henry
Sep 20, 2016 added it
This is what it says - a study guide to the Westminster Confession. I had mixed feelings on this. Some parts of it I thought were very helpful, but others not as much. An example would be the last chapter, where the author and the Confession discuss eschatology. That comes to mind simply because it was the last thing I read. The book seemed to me to go further than the Confession on that topic in some ways that I didn’t find helpful, needful or charitable to other views. With that said, I did fi ...more
mpsiple
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
The WCF is great, amazing even. But this commentary really got under my skin. He frequently gets to the right conclusion with the wrong (or at least very incomplete) argument. That, and he doesn't really stay on topic, taking every opportunity to talk about his pet enemies instead of what the confession says.

Unfortunately, there aren't any other books like this out there. I would recommend reading the Confession on it's own, along with all the scripture proofs.
Jenny
Apr 29, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: rufinternlist
I like Williamson's discussion on some of the Confession's sections and I get entirely confused and distracted with others. After getting 3/4 of the way through the study guide, I stopped using it and just looked at the Confession and the Bible passages instead. If I were doing it again, I would try to find another study guide that might stay more on task... or just study the Confession and consult a minister who knows his stuff throughout.
Melanie
Dec 28, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: _non-fiction_
For the RUF internship. An overview of the history and significance of the Westminster Confession of Faith, a historic confessional document. Interestingly enough from this side of the turn of the century, having originally published this work in 1964, one of Williamson's primary concerns was to speak to modernism.
David
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
So, love the WCoF. I am impressed by the thorough treatment that G.I. Williamson brings to the table, even if I regularly find myself arguing with his perspective. He has provided much raw material for discussion, frustration and thoughtfulness. My hat goes off to him, but I would surely enjoy arguing with him over a beer about some particulars.
Tyler
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Marvelous guide to the Westminster confession. Williamson is concise but thorough. Not a page-turner but full of wonderful insight. The study questions are immensely helpful for preparing for Presbytery exams.
Faith Bradham
Sep 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Oof, I must admit, this is dull. Such flowery language! Surely our founding fathers could have stated their beliefs in plainer, more easily understood, words.
Amy
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: seminary
Some of the explanations were loosely interpreted and tedious. Not my favorite discursive of the Westminster.
Hong Che Hwee
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Simply THE classic for reformed theology. Learnt so much from this book. Williamson's treatment made difficult doctrines easy to comprehend.
Gregory Rothbard
Oct 15, 2013 rated it liked it
A good basic overview of the Westminster Confession of Faith.
Dan
Mar 21, 2008 added it
still reading not sure why it is in the having read section...
Lady Jane
Jan 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
Good survey of the Westminster Confession, including questions for further discussion and thought. I found some of the author's personal commentary to be reaching.
Steve Murphy
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Worthwhile! Reading it again with the men in the parish and their sons.
Katie
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore this book! Simply for the mere fact Williamson goes into depth and explanation on the Westminster Confession of Faith...he explains each chapter and section so well!
John Davies
Feb 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Summary of Christian Doctrine
  • Christian Baptism
  • Westminster Confession Of Faith w/ Catechisms (1646-7) (and the Larger and Shorter Catechisms, Directories for Public and Private Worship, Form of Presbyterial Church Government, the Sum of Saving Knowledge)
  • The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, and Documented
  • Systematic Theology
  • The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination
  • The Lord's Service: The Grace of Covenant Renewal Worship
  • Putting Amazing Back into Grace: Embracing the Heart of the Gospel
  • The Baptized Body
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • Law and Liberty
  • Training Hearts, Teaching Minds: Family Devotions Based on the Shorter Catechism
  • Christ of the Covenants
  • Christian Apologetics
  • The Church (Contours of Christian Theology, #4)
  • Given for You: Reclaiming Calvin's Doctrine of the Lord's Supper
  • A New Systematic Theology of the Christian Faith
  • The Mystery of the Holy Spirit
“QUESTIONS
1. Is the doctrine of the Trinity revealed in the Old Testament? In the New Testament%
2. Is the God revealed in the Old Testament the Triune God? How can this be proved%
3. Cite an Old Testament text to prove that God is not a single person.
4. Cite a text which indicates that the Angel of Jehovah is Jehovah (God).
5. Cite a prophetic text which shows that God promised to send God incarnate.
6. Why did the apostles accept the "doctrine" of the Trinity?
7. What two essential elements of the doctrine of the Trinity are taught in the baptismal form of Matthew?
8. The Larger Catechism states that each of the three persons of the Godhead is seen to be God because Scripture attributes to each of them such names, attributes, works, and worship as are proper to God only. Can you cite Scripture references showing that the names, attributes, works, and worship proper to God are associated with each of the three persons (the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost)?”
0 likes