Start by marking “Doctor Who: Sanctuary” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Sanctuary

Doctor Who: Sanctuary

(Virgin New Adventures #37)

The Doctor pointed at Bernice. 'The wench’s mind is addled,' he said. 'Arrest her before she spreads her ungodly heresy.'

The TARDIS is caught in the gravitational field of a dark star. The Doctor and Bernice are forced to evacuate, and find themselves stranded in medieval France - a brutal time of crusades and wars of succession.

As the Albigensian crusade draws to its blo
Paperback, 1st, 272 pages
Published June 1st 1995 by Virgin Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Scurra
Oct 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
I noted in a previous review that McIntee had carved out a nice little niche within the NAs, by doing "historicals" - well-researched backgrounds with plausible historical fits. However, this is most definitely the first true "historical" in the NA series, with not a science fiction element to be seen (well apart from a couple of minor medical incidents.) This was something that the early tv stories did, but it gradually died out as the SF took over; this story proves that they can still work.

An
Nicholas Whyte
Dec 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor, who, 7th, na, benny, 2012, 1212, xl
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/2039812.html[return][return][return]A New Adventure novel, with the Seventh Doctor and Benny ending up at the awful end of the Albigensian crusade; a rare case of a purely historical story, with the Tardis crew's presence the only sfnal element.[return][return]I rather enjoyed it. I am a Benny fan, and the fact that she gets a decent, if doomed, romance was cause for cheer. (Apparently there are two other McIntee stories featuring her love interest - one audio, one ...more
Christopher Buchanan
Normally a book taking me this long to finish would be a sure sign I didn't like it much. This'll be an exception. My son was born and I started a new job during the course of reading this so there's my excuse.

Anyway, this is great. It's a historical for starters and additionally it's very well rendered. McIntee did a great job really bringing the setting to life and repeatedly sending me to the dictionary. Why just use a sword when you can have a balisard? Nice little touches like that. The cha
Brad
Oct 02, 2012 rated it liked it
This was by far the best David A. McIntee story I've read in the New Adventures series. The story and characters were reasonably well thought out and memorable, and everything moved along at a decent pace.

I still find he tends to use 3 words when 1 will do, and I'm not a fan of long passages describing battles or other action scenes. But I was pleasantly surprised by this title. After reading McIntee's last few entries in the series, I really hadn't been looking forward to this title.
Daniel Kukwa
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
THIS is a real taste of David McIntee -- it's easily his best contribution to the DW New Adventures line, and perhaps his all-around best Doctor Who novel. Violent, exciting, exhilerating, provocative...this is historical adventure at its most deliciously bloodthirsty and epic. Great stuff all around.
Travis
May 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: doctor-who
A straight historical adventure with the Doctor and Benny stranded in medevil england.
It starts out interesting, but soon starts to meander and I didn't think the last half was as strong.

Liked Sir Guy. He would have made an interesting companion.
The Tardis escape pod was also quite clever.
Leela42
Dec 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: na, seventh-doctor
New Adventure (NA) with Benny. A pure historical. Mostly excellent, but I dock it a full star for being so unnecessarily and distractingly graphic at the climax.
Shannon Appelcline
Great historical detail and good characterization for Benny, but the book is also very slow with not much happening in the way of plot.
Piers
  • Doctor Who: Conundrum
  • Doctor Who: Birthright
  • Doctor Who: No Future
  • Doctor Who: Blood Harvest
  • The Also People (Doctor Who: The New Adventures)
  • Doctor Who: Blood Heat
  • Doctor Who: Legacy
  • Doctor Who: Strange England
  • Doctor Who: Cat's Cradle-Warhead
  • Doctor Who: Deceit
  • Doctor Who: Theatre of War
  • Doctor Who: Nightshade
  • Doctor Who: The Dimension Riders
McIntee has written many spin-off novels based on the BBC science fiction television series Doctor Who, as well as one each based on Final Destination and Space: 1999. He has also written a non-fiction book on Star Trek: Voyager and one jointly on the Alien and Predator movie franchises. He has written several audio plays, and contributed to various magazines including Dreamwatch, SFX, Star Trek C ...more

Virgin New Adventures (1 - 10 of 61 books)
  • Doctor Who: Timewyrm-Genesys