Start by marking “The One That Got Away” as Want to Read:
The One That Got Away

The One That Got Away

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  365 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Molly Greene is having trouble packing up her old life to embrace the new challenges and grown up adventures that are waiting in the wings for her and husband Dan. She loves him, but with life as she knows it about to change forever, she just can't quite seem to make the final jump. Then, just as she's teetering on the brink of the biggest decision of her life, she stupidl ...more
Published October 14th 2010 by Sphere

To ask other readers questions about The One That Got Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One That Got Away

Gemma Forrest
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
I think I'm getting over some kinds of chick lit. Was waiting for the "sinister twist", which I am afraid never arrives! Ok for a brain number in between heavier reads..
Lynsey
May 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: chic-lit
Chic-lit of the lowest order. Too much dialogue, too much unnecessary detail & a simpering, spineless leading lady.
Oh, and sue that doctor for breach of confidentiality.
Chloe
Dec 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010-release, arc
Molly Greene loves being married to her husband Dan, and thinks that the pair of them have a pretty perfect life. They both have good jobs, a nice house, and are both still very much in love. However, when Molly finds one of her ex-boyfriends on Facebook, she can’t resist sending him a little message to say hi. She doesn’t realise though that it is going to set off a chain of events which just might ruin everything Molly has ever worked for, and might push her beloved Dan away for good. Molly kn ...more
Zoe
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was really exciting! Somehow the author - Lucy Dawson - managed to mix chick-lit with a dramatic thriller type of story and it worked incredibly well.

This book starts with Molly and her husband Dan having an argument about her lack of enthusiasm about getting pregnant - this continues throughout the story. Molly finds her ex, Leo on facebook and they start conversing. He then unexpectedly starts turning up at places she visits and well, it all becomes a little frightening and out of contro
Tracey
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2012
Nice, easy read. Protagonist wasn't entirely likeable, and revelation leading to climax was so unlikely as to annoy me for the rest of the book. Overall was ok, and perfectly suited to my rainy caravan getaway.
Cheri Mackay
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a brilliant book - the way the author thought of this story was so good. The twist was unbelievable - predictable happy ending but I really enjoyed the book and will definitely be looking at her other books.
Liz Lawson
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Frustrating, story but I loved it. On tenterhooks the whole way through.
Rebeccat
Apr 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Watch out for ex's on Facebook!
Lucy Mitchell
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Leah
Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Would you risk your future for a night with your past? Molly Greene loves being married. Exciting adventures lie ahead for her and husband Dan that will change their lives for ever, but Molly’s not sure they’re making the right choices. While teetering on the brink of the biggest decision she’s ever faced, she sends an impulsive message to the very last person she ought to contact, someone who should have stayed forgotten, and is now coming looking for her. When he finds her, there is no turning ...more
Elusive
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
In ‘The One That Got Away’, Molly Greene’s perfect relationship seems to be falling apart after an argument with her husband, Dan. Although he wants to start a family, she doesn’t. While she’s trying to figure out how to settle this major problem, she looks up her ex Leo on Facebook out of curiosity. In a moment of sheer stupidity and spontaneity, she sends him a message. But that simple action triggers a chain of terrifying consequences..

I’ve never read any books by this author but after readin
Lauren Crossley
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
The whole concept of this book was fascinating to me, the idea of being tempted by something we know we should no longer want. The idea of wanting to experience something we once wanted. It was intriguing to me and knew I wanted to read this book right away. I first read the book when it came out and found it very enjoyable. I've read it a couple of times since then which goes to prove how much I liked it.
My only criticism would be that I wanted to read more about Leo. I felt he could have fea
Boekenfans
GESCHONKEN DOOR COSMOX.NL

RECENSIE

GESCHREVEN DOOR JANA ZWAENEPOEL
Wat ik vond van het boek?
De eerste 30 pagina's zijn doorsleurpagina's. Hiermee wil ik toch eventjes mee bedoelen dat het moeilijk te lezen is. Ook verspringt het steeds van het ene naar het andere waardoor het eigenlijk zeer moeilijk is om te volgen. Na die 30 pagina's... Dan wil je gewoon niet meer ophouden met lezen. Dit is vooral door de schrijfstijl. Ook hier vind je terug flashbacks (maa
Cath
Oct 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ik begon aan dit boek met hoge verwachtingen, maar ik werd een beetje teleurgesteld. Het was een ontspannend boek om te lezen, maar erg veel diepgang kende het niet en het had best wat spannender gekund.

Een groot deel van het boek gaat over de discussie over het krijgen van kinderen en soms hing me dat de keel uit. Door de vriendinnen van Molly werden de meest griezelige verhalen verteld en haar man probeerde haar steeds maar over te halen om er toch eentje te krijgen, wat resulteerde in een bes
Caroline
Apr 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Having enjoyed Lucy Dawson's previous two 'dark chick lit' novels, I was looking forward to this one.

It is the story of Molly Greene, a happily married woman in her early thirties who in a brief impulsive moment, contacts an ex-boyfriend via Facebook. The repercussions of this are the basis of the rest of the book, and things rapidly spin out of control for Molly, who is also wrestling with serious doubts about becoming a parent, while her husband is very keen to start a family.

As with both her
Hannie
Lucy Dawson weet wel hoe je de spanning er in moet houden. Nooit meer met jou gaat over Molly Green. Na een ruzie met haar man, komt ze haar ex tegen. Na deze ontmoeting wil hij weer een relatie met haar beginnen. Daarom begint hij haar te stalken. In het begin lijkt het allemaal nog redelijk onschuldig, maar op een gegeven moment gaat hij steeds verder. Molly wordt er gek van en probeert er een einde aan te maken, maar niets helpt. Haar ex is niet voor rede vatbaar. In het begin moest ik er eve ...more
Karen07814
Nov 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've read Ms Dawson's other books and liked them enough to give this one a try. Some authors write their best book first but this one is rather like the best firework saved until last.
Molly has a loving hsband and a happy life with just the two of them enjoying each other.
A few too many drinks at a works party changes all of that. The book takes an idea that is topical and makes it a what if with a twist. It illustrates the mental torment of making a mistake, living with it and being unable to m
Lucy
Dec 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book had me hooked from the 1st page, it is definately one to read, a great twist on your standard chick-lit.
The story & subjects covered within are extremely relevant to todays society & does actually make you think about the potential negative impact of social networking & also the type of technology available today!
Excellent book, read this within 4 days over Christmas & will most definately be reading Lucy Dawsons other 2 books.

Highly Recommended.
Tara
Dec 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Another book down in one day's time. I wonder if it's the book or the time on my hands.

Anyway, this was a good chick lit book. It was interesting as it has a woman connect with an old friend via Facebook. There is quite a lot of drama and suspense to keep it moving fast. I thoroughly enjoyed this read and wish for another 4 1/2 stars!
Sara
Jun 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Started this yesterday and I'm finding it impossible to put down! It was quite a page turner, but although it was really well written and fast paced I felt it lacked depth and the ending in my view could have been a bit more drawn out.
Ilana Fox
Feb 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Not sure about this - I read it on the basis of other people's reviews, and was expecting something a bit darker. I'd have liked it if there had been subplots and if the ending had been more drawn out. Great writing style though, looking forward to reading more by this author.
Sheradan Faye
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was an easy read as I managed to finish it in just 2 days! It was an unfortunate yet obvious love story however the twist at the end got me wrong which I enjoyed. Great book to read when travelling train or plane :)
Jul 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-hardcopies
It was definitely a page turner for me, and very relatable.
I did feel that Molly was a bit too weak, too much of a damsel in distress.
She didn't stand up for herself enough.
Ex's are Ex's for a reason.. no matter how boring you think your current relationship is, do not go back.
Kelly Tanner
Good but expected a better ending

I did like this book and it kept me reading more and more but by the time I could see that I was 90% through I did wonder where the story line would go.... and I was quite disappointed. Good book, not so good ending.
Alejandro Shirvani
Dec 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Not bad, I could relate to the characters involved and thought it was a pretty realistic portrayal of stalky-obsessed exes. I think this would appeal to people interested in relationships and relationship gossip but you might want to avoid if you find that kind of stuff dull.
Denise
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've read & enjoyed all of Lucy Dawson's books and this was another brilliant read. The One That Got Away highlights issues such as internet privacy, obsession and stalking. The characters are well developed and believable and the story had me gripped right to the end. Highly recommended.
Lucy Taylor
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good story with a twist, enjoyed it a lot
Karen perry
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
enjoyed this author was a nice easy read will be definately reading more of her books
Bev Dulson
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved this book! The moral of this story is never look up your ex on Facebook, they're an ex for a reason!
Kim Esparon
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'd say.. lesson learned. Sometimes its better to leave the past, in the past. 'Cause then they come right back and bite you on the ass!
  • No Turning Back
  • The Perfect Lie
  • One Kiss in Havana
  • Uzol
  • Wild Things
  • The Secret Shopper Affair (Secret Shopper, #3)
  • Before I Knew You
  • The Parisian's Return
  • Love is On the Air
  • Living la Vida Loca
  • To My Best Friends.
  • The Marriage Deal
Lucy studied Psychology at Warwick University before becoming a children’s magazine editor. Her first bestselling book – His Other Lover – was published in 2008. Since then she has published four other novels and her work has been translated into numerous other languages. She lives in Exeter with her husband and children. Lucy finds writing in the third person uncomfortable.