Start by marking “The Ice Cream Girls” as Want to Read:
The Ice Cream Girls

The Ice Cream Girls

As teenagers Poppy Carlisle and Serena Gorringe were the only witnesses to a tragic event. Amid heated public debate, the two seemingly glamorous teens were dubbed ‘The Ice Cream Girls’ by the press and were dealt with by the courts.

Years later, having led very different lives, Poppy is keen to set the record straight about what really happened, while married mother-of-two
Published 2010 by Sphere

To ask other readers questions about The Ice Cream Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ice Cream Girls

F
Jul 10, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this a long time ago.
I remember liking it.
I do remember the storyline but not the ending.
Elaine
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Don’t be fooled by the cute pastel cover on this one. It isn’t the light summery girly friendship story that I was expecting. In fact, it is probably one of the darkest reads I have read in a long time and Poppy Carlisle and Serena Gorringe are certainly not friends but love rivals. The object of their love is Marcus, an older man and Serena’s teacher.

This is a story of two young naïve girls who are reeled in by Marcus, a predator of the first order in this story of seduction, first love, manipu
Tea Jovanović
Dorothy Koomson's masterpiece! I fell in love with her writing with "My Best Friend's Girl" I and was acquiring Serbian editor of that novel...
This title, despite the chick-lit covers, is serious book, having serious theme of child abuse, murder, and impact on lives of two girls and their families... Perfectly researched topic and masterfully written!
#mustread
Barbara Elsborg
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Siany
May 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2010
I could NOT put this book down.
So different to Dorothy Koomson's other books but her best book in my opinion.

I love the characters of Serena and Poppy, and is a shame they couldnt stand each other because they are so alike.
Serena was a very strong character, much stronger than Poppy at times. But I did prefer Poppy. She went through a lot despite being innocent. And in the end it was good to see her "catch a break" as far as her personal life went.

Marcus was scum of the earth and he deserved
Dem
Apr 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Ice Cream Girls by Dorothy Koomson was an interesting and easy to read novel.
As School girls Poppy and Serena were the only witnesses to a tragic event. They both end up in different ways paying the price and become known as the Ice Cream Girls. Years later Poppy is keen to set the record straight about what happened while Serena wants no one in her present life to find out about her past. But secrets have a habit of coming back to haunt and this is certainly the case for the Ice Cream Girls
Blair
The cover and title, which both suggest a fluffy chick-lit book, didn't attract me to this (I'm really annoyed that I now have to have those hated pastel colours messing up my 2011 Reading Challenge page); but I'd gathered from several sources that it was actually a gripping thriller, and from all I'd heard and read about it, I was intrigued enough to pick it up when I spotted it in the library. The Ice Cream Girls - the title referring to a nickname bestowed upon the main characters by the tabl ...more
Dale Harcombe
Two and a half stars. I debated for a long while over a rating for this. In the end I gave it two and a half stars because it was okay but I couldn’t say I liked it. That no doubt has a lot to do with the subject matter. Serena and Poppy stand trial for the torture and murder of Marcus, an ex teacher. Poppy is convicted of the murder and gets sentenced while Serena does not. However she still lives each day with what happened and the secret she has kept from her husband.
While it kept me reading,
Anne
Feb 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Ice Cream Girls is one of the most cleverly crafted novels that I have read for a long time. It would be so easy to judge this book by it's cover and assume that it's going to be frothy chick-lit - don't fall for the cover - this is a psychological thriller that gripped me from page one and kept me hooked until the very last page.
The story is narrated in turns by Serena and Poppy - the 'Ice Cream Girls' of the title. Serena and Poppy were never friends but their lives have been linked togeth
Ari
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2011
I really did not like reading this book. As an American I found it hard to believe because the press, in fact the whole case was ridiculous. I'm no expert on the American justice system but USUALLY what happens over here is in a case where an adult is sleeping with a teenager (minor), it's considered rape. People do not immediately jump to the conclusion that the teenager SEDUCED the GROWN MAN/WOMAN. And yet that is exactly what happens in The Ice Cream Girls. The press is slimy and the courts a ...more
Melizza
Aug 15, 2010 rated it did not like it
Liz
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A friend recommended Dorothy Koomson so when I saw this at the library I grabbed it without reading the blurb. Seduced by the pretty pastel cover I was shocked at the opening page. Shocked but totally hooked! It’s not a book you actually enjoy reading due to the subject matter but it’s one of the most gripping thrillers I’ve read for a while. I did guess the ending though!
Redfox5
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh My! What a book! Although I've read a lot of good books recently, nothing comes close to this! This really was one of those books that it's very hard to put down. I had to know what happened!

This book teases you by telling the story of two girls who were accused of killing a teacher. Poppy went to prison for his murder, Serena was found innocent. The press painted them out to be 'The Ice Cream Girls', two young seductresses who tortured and killed Marcus for fun.

The truth is far from this.
Leah
Jan 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
After the murder of teacher Marcus Halnsley, Poppy Carlisle and Serena Gorringe find themselves suddenly in the glare of the worlds’ media. Poppy ends up convicted of the crime and gets life in prison whereas Serena gets to walk free. Years later Poppy gets released from prison and is determined to clear her name and get Serena to confess to killing Marcus. Serena, however, wants to keep the past firmly where it is: in the past as she never actually got around to telling her husband Evan about t ...more
Katherine
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars-books
I think Dorothy Koomson has an extraordinary talent and an incredible originality when she writes her books. I real all her books and to be honest I prefer when she writes something that can be considered a policial or near it (as this book). I think she can create the perfect world and the perfect characters when she writes one and she never forget the romance and this special thing that I couldn't still understand what is but that makes her books perfect.

- First of all, the plot. Complex, full
Bill Kupersmith
Apr 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: me-emma
According to the media & the prosecution, a popular teacher was murdered twenty years ago by two teenage girls who were photographed kissing & eating ice cream, hence the title of this book. One of them, Serena, was acquitted & is now married to a doctor & the mother of two children. The other girl, Poppy, was convicted & sent to prison for life & has just been released on licence. In fact, the teacher Marcus was a total sadistic sleaze who seduced & abused first Sere ...more
The Book Whisperer (aka Boof)
Despite the appearance of the cover (which although it didn’t put me off, I am convinced that it will disuade others from even picking it up to read the blurb on the back) this is more pyschological thriller than chicklit.

The Ice Cream Girls has two narrators: Serena Gorringe and Poppy Carlisle. The book starts with a newspaper clipping reporting the story of the trial of two teenage girls accused of the murder of history teacher who is reported to have been the victim of a jealous school girl
Gemma
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: drama
I think this is more of a 2.5 but, when I finished my boyfriend asked "was it good" and I just replied, "it was ok". Which disappointed me, because after reading the back, and the first few chapters it started off really good and I was gripped. But it lost a bit of it's charm, it was a tough subject, domestic violence, abuse, murder which I felt was handled really well. I can't Quite put my finger on what spoiled it for me.

The story was told through the eyes of the two 'Ice Cream Girls' Poppy &a
Amma
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book. It was essentially about 2 young girls, Poppy and Serena, who were abused and taken advantage of by a sick and predatory older man. He wound up dead having suffered a fatal stab wound to the heart and one girls ends up serving 20 years for it. This is my problem- despite the failings of our Criminal justice system I fail to believe that the media and courts would have been so quick to paint the deceased as the victims nad the two teenagers as partner's in c ...more
Julia Ibbotson
May 15, 2013 rated it liked it
A little disappointed as I had read a couple of other Dorothy Koomson and loved them (especially Rose Petal Beach). I love psychological thrillers, but this one was somewhat hard to swallow in its implausibility. The whole plot rests on the accusation that two young teenage girls had been tried for the murder of a respected teacher some years previously. However they were underage when the abuse began and therefore the trial is odd; surely mitigating circumstances would have played a major part? ...more
Razvan Banciu
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Probably this novel is one of the most misleading ones when we speak about titles, as I've rarerly seen such a tough, rough and sad book, almost to its ultimate letters. The story is about little mistakes which are paid too dearly, about life in couples, about truth and more or less innocent lies, and most of all, about fear. Characters are alive, their moves are the consequence of their former mishaps, the final sweetens somehow the state of affairs, but some questions remain to be answered.
Sur
Miz
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-owned
What a horrifying and disturbing backstory! While the narrative style is easy to read, the story itself is anything but. I got annoyed at parts (view spoiler) but the two female protagonists were shaped right in front of my eyes and I kept reading, hungry for more information.

I have to say that this book should com
Linda Boyd
I enjoyed this book even though the subject matter is disturbing. Poppy Carlisle & Serena Gorrings met each other during their teen years. Poppy & Serena were the only witnesses to a high profile murder. Several years later Poppy looks for Serena to set the record straight as to what happened to them several years ago. Poppy remembers the story one way and of course Serena remembers it another. Their lives have turned out differently and Poppy needs Serena "tell the truth" about what hap ...more
Jane
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I would give 4.5 stars if that was an option as I have to take off the half because I felt quite ill in the abuse scenes...I guess that's all credit to Ms Koomson for being able to make you feel that way. She is an amazing writer and it was a real page turner towards the end. Hard to acknowledge that this actually goes on let alone write about it with such clarity and depth of understanding.
Betty
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazing-books
I am in awe of Koomson. This book was compelling right from the start. Its subject matter- of domestic violence and manipulation- is tough; however, Koomson explores the psychological effects of it all with understanding and at the same time has you on the edge of your seat wanting to find out how it is all resolved.
Amanda
Nope, nope, NOPE. To quote Turk from Scrubs: "No, it can't go down like that! It just can't go down like that!" I did not spend 13.5 hours listening to the audio book for that ending.

Major spoilers ahead. I'm serious, I spoil the plot and the ending. Don't open if you plan on reading this book.
(view spoiler)
Sleepless in Phoenix ✨
Regret Reading: N Would Read Again: N Would Recommend: Y? Maybe?

Finally finished this one! It took a while mainly because of how long the book took to get to the actual action/explanation of the story. It seemed like 70% of the book was buildup and it started to get a little old. The story spends most of it's time dancing around any explanation of the meat of the story. Spoiler alert: (view spoiler)
Hananaki
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I did not see that one coming.The cover does not prepare you for the intensity of this book.I had trouble reading it because the emotional and physical abuse described in it, is extremely real.Even though I have never experienced anything of the sort,I felt angry and scared,terrified even because I could imagine this happening as it unfortunately does way too often.
Serena and Poppy two 15 year old girls meet Marcus ,a much older man and a teacher of Serena and both end up having a disastro
Hajar Zahid
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Woah! I really didn't expect this book to contain such dark and sinister plot. I was duped by the colourful cover thinking that it's a light and fluffy read. I was dead wrong about that!
The book covers child sexual abuse issue and if I had known about this, I wouldn't have read it. I started to feel depressed reading this book and I cringed every time the bad guy appears in the plot.
But the story has opened my eyes and it scares me to think of the kids that have faced and are facing this nausea
Bookworm
The premise was really good but the build up was awfully and painfully slow. What could have been finsihed in max 250 pages stretched on and on to 465 pages!!!!

There were so many incredulous incidents. Especially when the paedophile tortured and kicked them so hard that the bruises showed and the parents didn't see them. Really!!!

On what basis was Serena acquitted and Poppy imprisoned?

So many questions that are unanswered.

pure ceramides youth cream 1 3 Jan 05, 2018 02:52AM
Kotolena Cream 1 2 Dec 14, 2017 01:57AM
Antiaging Absolute Best Solutions As A Way To Retain Youthful Skin 1 1 Dec 12, 2017 03:16AM
Lumineux Cream 1 1 Nov 30, 2017 02:04AM
Claire Hydrafirm Cream 1 2 Nov 19, 2017 09:04PM
How To Help Keep Your Skin Looking Young In 3 Easy Steps 1 2 Nov 01, 2017 03:55AM
Skin Failures Of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome 1 1 Sep 04, 2017 02:28AM

• Hidden
  • Breaking The Silence
  • Lizzie Jordan's Secret Life
  • Inverno de Sombras
Hello, my name's Dorothy Koomson and I'll try to make this bit that's all about me as interesting as possible.
I wrote my first novel called There's A Thin Line Between Love And Hate when I was 13. I used to write a chapter every night then pass it around to my fellow convent school pupils every morning, and they seemed to love it.

I grew up in London and then grew up again in Leeds when I went to u
“Quando se segue um caminho, rumo a uma mudança na nossa vida, não vale a pena parar para cheirar as rosas, digam os famosos livros de auto-ajuda o que disserem. As rosas têm espinhos, e cheirá-las pode ter muito maus resultados. Uma pessoa pode auto-mutilar-se ao fim de anos sem o fazer e acabar por passar a noite no chão da casa de banho, demasiado fraca para se mexer. Parar para cheirar as rosas pode enterrar essa pessoa debaixo de toneladas de memórias de tempos e de coisas que fez que preferia esquecer. Pode acabar por se lembrar que tem um propósito na vida e obrigar-se a voltar ao plano inicial, sabendo, no entanto, que, se não se tivesse distraído com as rosas, já poderia ter alcançado os seus objectivos.” 2 likes
“I did not know that when you drop a stone of a stupid choice in the pool of your life, it can cause a tidal wave to surge outwards, destroying everyone and everything in its path.” 1 likes