Start by marking “Elminster in Myth Drannor (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #2)” as Want to Read:
Elminster in Myth Drannor (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #2)

Elminster in Myth Drannor

(Forgotten Realms: Elminster #2)

It is the time of the great elven city of Cormanthor, when the Heartlands are home to barbarians, wicked dragons rule the skies, and the elven people trust no one. Wizards and warriors alike threaten their civilization in vain, arrogant, and ignorant quests for glory.

Thus it was that Elminster was guided to Cormanthor, the Towers of Song, where Eltargrim was Coronal. There
Mass Market Paperback, 378 pages
Published December 1998 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 12th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Elminster in Myth Drannor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elminster in Myth Drannor

Γιάννης Βλαχογιάννης
Γενικά, είχα ενθουσιαστεί με την ιδέα του να διαβάσω βιβλία των "Forgotten Realms" καθως μου αρέσει πάρα πολύ το Dungeons and dragons. Ξεκίνησα με τα βιβλία του Salvatore με τις περιπέτειες του Drizzt, τα οποία τα λατρεψα! Για αυτό, είχα πολλές προσδοκίες από όλα τα "Forgotten Realms" βιβλία.
Λάθος μου. Το πρώτο βιβλίο του Greenwood με τις περιπέτειες του Elminster μου άρεσε αρκετά και αποφάσισα να διαβάσω και το δεύτερο. Το δεύτερο και εν λόγω βιβλίο με απογοήτευσε σχεδόν αρκετά για να εγκαταλεί
Kaila
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
As a young teenager, when I first read this book, I loved it. As an adult, I enjoyed the first third(ish), was fairly satisfied with the next third(ish), and by that point realised that everything had appeared to go downhill. I have never read, and will probably never read, any of the other books in the series.

So, ignoring the first third/half of the book (which actually was pretty enjoyable), I feel like the main problem with Elminster is Elminster himself.

He doesn't have any agency. When a pro
Joe Colistro
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Greenwood continues his streak of penning elaborately woven plots that are more about the place they occur in than the title characters themselves. Indeed, several of the subplots within this book never actually end up having an effect on the main storyline, but their presence acts to flesh out the world around you and render everything in fuller color.

Much like Indiana Jones in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" I couldn't help but shake the feeling that events would have played out more or less as the
Pedro
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this third book be better than the previous ones. I think Elminster's story gets better as you go, more mature. This focuses on Elminster's training with the elves and his relationship with them, as well as their relationship with the world. This book unveils a crucial piece os history from the Realms and bring lots of characters to the front that everyone today will recognize, but that Ed Greenwood was creating. in this remark this stands out for me as one of the best from this author.
Adam Barnes
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just as good twenty years later, the story of the forging of Mystra's most beloved Choosen and the making of the Mythral of Myth Drannor should be read by all who like a book with a good bit of magic within.
Eric Barnum
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Elminster in space! This could have been the best book in the series. A powerful sage.... err Gandalf/Galadriel in a mystery of magic. When the brought in the Scooby Doo tropes and cliches, I gave up and sped read the rest to see of it ever recovers. Sighs. Alas.
Dave
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a good book. Unfortunately, only parts of it felt like a true representation of Elves. Many elves in this book come off as too human. However, the story of the creation of Myth Drannor is important to know. I look forward to reading more about it in future books.

Camilo Navarrete
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Posee un mejor desarrollo que la primera parte, explicando el avance del mago en su aprendizaje.
Mejora mucho en sus descripciones, pero le falta enganchar mejor al lector en varias escenas.
Jesse
Dec 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: forgotten-realms
I don't remember a lot about this book...and it really wasn't that long ago that I read it...

As I've said before, I'm not the biggest fan of Ed Greenwood (but the more I read, the more I am enjoying it....whether this is due to me becoming more accustomed to his writing style, or that his books are better writen down the line...I don't know), but I really struggled to get through this book.

I will say, on its behalf, that there was more of the history of forgotten realms in this book than in any
Tomi
Apr 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: ardent Elminster and Forgotten Realms fans
Shelves: fantasy
As he often does, Ed Greenwood paints a beautiful landscape for his readers, of elves, their city, and the way of life. However, there is no real story in this book. Sure, Elminster is given the task to go to Cormanthyr and the book begins with great promise. Indeed, the first half of the book is interesting but after that you get a great sense of uneasiness that the author had not really planned what to do with the second half.

Elminster is truly nothing more than an observant in the events and
Doppelganger
Jan 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Elminster in Myth Drannor is a story about a developing, somewhat naive but powerful mage that is sent to Cormanthor to aid the city in some manner deemed necessary by his god, Mystra. I think it was an overall great story resulting in something that had nothing but good willed intentions for Cormanthor (Myth Drannor). Although good intentions are often met with hardcore opposition, as is the case in this novel.

While I enjoyed the book and the story, I think it could have been handled in an over
christopher larue
Thanks for another adventure Ed. I'm reading all your books.
William Bentrim
Sep 21, 2009 rated it really liked it

Elminster in Myth Drannor by Ed Greenwood

Mystra, Elminster's personal lover and god has made him her chosen and sent him on a quest. A major problem with this is that Elminster has no idea what her eventual goal might be and therefore does a lot of painful floundering.

Elves bring new meaning to discrimination and prejudice. It appears that the Elves are mankind's KKK. The prejudice is exemplified by their myriad ways of trying to kill Elminster.

The book delves into the political maneuverings a
Fco. Salvador
Jun 10, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reinos-olvidados
Esta segunda entrega de la serie, tras Elminster: La Forja De Un Mago, comienza con el viaje hasta la Ciudad del Canto, y la dura negativa de la mayoría de los elfos nobles a aceptar entre ellos a un humano. La siguiente parte (francamente aburrida) sitúa a Elminster aprendiendo magia élfica bajo las órdenes del Enmascarado, para finalmente enfrentarse a los elfos que desean eliminar a su rey (que pretende abrir las fronteras a todos los pueblos).

A mi parecer, un libro francamente innecesario.

{M
Forgotten Realms Queen
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not too shabby. We join Elminster, Old Mage and the last Prince of Athalantar as he enters the elven city of Cormanthor and helps them to weave the magic of the first of the great Mtyhals and transform the city forever into Myth Drannor. A place destined in Realms history to be a place of great magic, beauty, and terror.

This is the beginning of the end of a great elven age here. Cormanthor, long walled off from the rest of the world, opens their doors to the 'lesser' races, and in time this atte
JJ
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm really starting to like Ed Greenwood's writing. He has become one of my favorite D&D writers. I did not like Elminster in Myth Drannor as much as the first book in the series (Making of a Mage), primarily because Elminster is offstage for a large portion of the book; also because he does not have as much agency in this one, calling on his goddess Mystra to bail him out of trouble a little too frequently. Despite this, I'm still giving the book four stars because Greenwood is excellent in ...more
Nate
Oct 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Forgotten Realms Elminster” was a little confusing he was a young wizard trying to go somewhere he gets attacked by bandits he killed them by using his powers and then he slit their throats and took his knife back from one of them and he gets on his horse and then he meets some elfs and he had a gem that they recognized and he was acting like he was incharge of them and when he was walking back to there castile with them on of the guards saw him but he was blurry to him and then he goes in and g ...more
Billy Rodriguez
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: forgotten-realms
Finally! This took me forever to read!

Greenwood did not have a good writing style back then. I often found myself restless after less than a page of reading. And, El spent way too much of the book beseeching aid from Mysta. Do something for yourself! You're supposed to be one of the greatest mages ever. Even this early in your journey, you should be able to stand on your own sometimes. Also, so many times, it just felt like nothing was happening, plot wise. I really wanted to give this a 2, bec
Mark Wilson
May 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Ed Greenwood has some very awkward ways of writing lust and romance into things. Just hamfisted and kind of creepy. Huge cast of characters that either do very little or are pointless in the story. There are times the story moves forward and is interesting and then other times you just feel lost. There's a 20 year story jump as it feels Ed would have gone on for 1000 pages if you let him but he had to cram the resolution of the story in.

Might have been a better story with the editor telling him
Stephanie
Feb 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
I have never disliked a book more. I have no idea what the point of this book was. there were so many characters that served literally no purpose. I cannot think of a single part of this book that I actually liked. the character's choices were beyond dumb and yea. it really sucked. If the rest of the books in this series are like this, it will take me all year to read them because they suck so bad
Morgan
Apr 16, 2013 rated it liked it
While I won't say it's the best writing, it's not bad. The problem I had with this book is it feels has if a huge chunk was cut out in editing. The story goes along at a reasonable pace for the first 2/3's, then for reasons I don't understand everything just jumps and a ton of unexplained things just begin happening. Perhaps if I read it again, I'd feel less like the ending was rushed. *shrug*
Paul
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: forgotten-realms
Elminster travels by foot to Cormanthor, finding a dying elf along the way Elminster promises to fulfill the elf's last wish. Doing so takes Elminster to Cormanthor, where the king grants Elminster the title of Armathor, a knight of Cormanthor. Elminster finds himself as a forced apprentice to an elf for twelve summers learning how to feel magic and learning to bend it to his will.
Pierre
Jan 08, 2008 rated it liked it
I had a love/hate relationship with this book thats very hard to put into words.

I liked:
-The detailed descriptions of spell casting and fight scenes.
-The writing drags you into the story and keeps you at the edge of your seat wanting more.
-The detailed political plotting
I disliked:
-Portrayal of elves as evil "surface drow".
Matt
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm a Forgotten Realms Fanboy if there ever was one. So judge accordingly. Greenwood is brilliant. The setting is ridiculously rich. Those outside the club will probably get lost in the countless elven names. The story attempts to paint a picture of a people, so it's bound to get hairy.

Regardless. Amazing. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Zachariah
May 03, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As is the case with many goodreads, rereading this book brought back memories of the events of my life surrounding the first perusal.

This was a wonderful expository portrayal of the ancient elves of Myth Drannor. Wonderful insight into the minds of said race. Read to the end, and you'll even find out where the name originates.

I recommend this wholeheartedly to any D&D fanatic.
Nick
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
This 2nd book in the Elminister series disappointed me. I thoroughly enjoyedvthe 1st book then in this reading I became completely lost in the elf names, the political intrigue and exceptionally long battles. I started the 3rd book with the hope of returning to the much better writting style of the 1st book. I hope I won't be disappointed again.
C.A. Perez
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Much improved from the first book though there was a lot of writing that bewildered me. Also a differing opinion of elves, one where they were racist, genocidal, almost nazi-like, was original too me. There's too much of a fascination in their perfection instead of a look at their ferocity. Excellent work Ed!
Matt
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Regardless. Amazing. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Reese
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have always wondered about this character Elminster from the Forgotten Realms games and I finally got a chance to learn more about him in this book and the world of Faerun.

I enjoyed the book and the general personalities of the characters throughout. I recommend this book to any D&D fan who wants to learn more of the gaming world of Faerun, especially Myth Drannor.
Greg Strandberg
Apr 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I didn't like this book as much as the first one, but it was still good. I actually went and re-read it a few years ago (I first read it in high school) and I thought it was better on the second go-round.

I will say that this was the last book I read in the series as I kind of got the impression they started to go downhill after this one.
  • Evermeet: Island of the Elves
  • Sands of the Soul (Forgotten Realms: Sembia, #6)
  • Black Wolf (Sembia #4)
  • The Siege (Forgotten Realms: Return of the Archwizards, #2)
  • Farthest Reach (Forgotten Realms: The Last Mythal, #2)
  • Prince of Lies (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #4)
  • Mistress of the Night (Forgotten Realms: The Priests, #2)
  • The Lost Library of Cormanthyr (Forgotten Realms: Lost Empires, #1)
  • Dangerous Games (Forgotten Realms: Netheril, #2)
  • Queen of the Depths (Forgotten Realms: The Priests, #4)
  • Heirs of Prophecy (Forgotten Realms: Sembia, #5)
  • Shadow's Witness (Forgotten Realms: Sembia, #2)
  • The Council of Blades (Forgotten Realms: The Nobles, #5)
  • Bloodwalk (Forgotten Realms: The Wizards, #2)
Ed Greenwood is the creator of the Forgotten Realms fantasy world, which became the setting for his home D&D game in 1975. Play still continues in this long-running campaign, and Ed also keeps busy producing Realmslore for various TSR publications.

Ed has published over two hundred articles in Dragon magazine and Polyhedron newszine, is a lifetime charter member of the Role Playing Game Associa

Forgotten Realms: Elminster (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Elminster: The Making of a Mage (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #1)
  • Den trolddomskyndige (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #2)
  • The Temptation of Elminster (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #3)
  • Elminster in Hell (Elminster, #4)
  • Elminster's Daughter (Elminster, #5)
  • Spellstorm
  • Elminster Must Die (Sage of Shadowdale, #1)
  • Bury Elminster Deep (Sage of Shadowdale, #2)
  • Elminster Enraged (The Sage of Shadowdale, Book #3)
  • Elminster Ascending (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #1-3)