Start by marking “Aesop's Mirror: A Love Story” as Want to Read:
Aesop's Mirror: A Love Story

Aesop's Mirror: A Love Story

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  59 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
“Everything I needed to know about Fox and Grapes mirror, I knew the moment I first I saw it” What antiques restorer Maryalice Huggins knew when she stumbled across the mirror at a country auction in Rhode Island was this: She was besotted. Rococo and huge (more than eight feet tall), the mirror was one of the most unusual objects she had ever seen. Huggins had to have it. ...more
Published November 10th 2009 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Aesop's Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aesop's Mirror

Barb
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Buffalo News hosts an "e" book club, and this is the April 2011 selection. It's my first time participating and I really enjoyed the book. Huggins writes wonderfully well, follows a train of thought to its logical conclusion, and masters the art of keeping the reader engaged. This book likely would not have been in my reading queue had it not been for the Buffalo News Book Club. I'm hopeful the May selection meets this high standard as well.
Bill
Dec 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book. The first part of the book tells about the ins and outs of the world of antique dealer. The book then delves into Rhode Island family history which I will admit might be a problem for someone living outside the area but if you are from Rhode Island or Southeast New England this book is a must read.
Linda Smatzny
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the author's true story of her love for a very large mirror that she purchased at an auction. The follows as the author tries to trace the history of the mirror and families in New England who may have owned it. The author tries to show that the love for an object sometimes is not logical but very heartfelt. The book was an easy read. It has a few black and white photos.
Scotchneat
May 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Huggins is an antiques restorer with longstanding family ties to Rhode Island. One day she comes across a beat up mirror at an auction and falls in love. She calls it the "Fox and Grapes" mirror.

This is the story of her efforts to prove the mirror is an American-made rarity, based on a collection of famous 18th-Century designs. She never does get the "Antiques Roadshow" moment, but along the way she reveals a lot about how provenance is established, how antiques sales work in the states (and tha
Louisa
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
New England is a funny place. The people grow out of a sturdy heritage, yet the details of their lives get worn away by the weather, changing fortunes and inconstancy of fashion. How does anyone stay connected to a place when time, people and nature keep changing it? This is a story about one woman's search for the origins of a discarded, outdated, and off beat mirror, and finding her own way. If you like to travel through the not too distance past at the pace of a train, or steamer or a comfort ...more
Evan Thomas
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable trip into the often concealed world of art restoration and decorative antique dealing. Beyond all that, Maryalice is a passionate amatuer historian and it was hard not to take as much pleasure as she seemed to while unraveling the mirror's past and the story of some of Rhode Island's most prominent families.
Odoublegood
Mar 02, 2010 rated it liked it
not for everyone, but enjoyable for me, particularly the portions that were most specific about the appraisal, restoration, and auction and sales generally of antiques; a sort of detective story, although an inconclusive one; glad I read it
Trent
Jan 24, 2010 added it
The first half, which explains the history of mirrors amid a lot on the current-day American high-end antiques business, is fascinating. As Huggins (full disclosure: whom I've met socially) traces the history of the family she believes her prize mirror came from, the book hits shakier ground.
Susan
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a great story - - great research and she can enjoy it always!
Dee
Nov 12, 2009 marked it as to-read
Learned about this here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/12/gar...
Mike Silva