Start by marking “Some Sunny Day” as Want to Read:
Some Sunny Day

Some Sunny Day

The remarkable autobiography of the last great wartime icon.

Born Vera Welch on 20 March, 1917 in the East End of London, Dame Vera Lynn’s career was set from an early age - along with her father, who also did a ‘turn’, she sang in Working Men’s Clubs from just seven years old. She had a successful radio career with Joe Loss and Charlie Kunz in the 1920s and ‘30s, but it wa
Published August 20th 2009 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Some Sunny Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Sunny Day

Jordan Finch
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thank Captain America: The First Avenger for my love of WWII-era music, and there are very few musicians of the time that I love more than the lovely Vera Lynn.

As Vera mentions in Some Sunny Day, there was something about her voice and the changing times that made her popular, and whether it's those reasons or some sense of nostalgia for times when people truly looked out for and helped their neighbors, I found myself falling in love with Vera's music the first time I heard it. I made sure to
Madisson
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-read
Delightful. I felt as if she was telling me her life story over tea and cakes.
Danielle
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ok, my nan gave me this book to pass to my godmother. However I thought I might read it before passing it on.

This type of book didn't appeal to me at first but, I shocked myself as I read the first couple of pages I was hooked and struggled to put it down as it was so good.

Ok for some of you are probably wondering who Dame Vera Lynn is like I did, Well she used to sing to the army and this is an extrodinary autobiography. The story takes us through the changing popular music scene in Britain i
Lacie
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographic, arts
What a history. Dame Vera was a brave woman who saw a lot, experienced a lot, and contributed a lot to history. I love her music, and I loved reading her story.
Samantha
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: autobiographies
All I knew about Vera Lynn before reading her autobiography was her most famous songs and the fact that she was known as 'the forces sweetheart' so it was nice to learn how she got to that point, what she actually did with the troops and how she continued after the war.

I enjoyed reading about her childhood and the war period where she flew overseas to entertain the troops. Vera Lynn shared the conditions in which she had to endure to stay with the troops and these weren't nice!! Hats off to her
Vera
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ich empfand diese Biographie als oberflächlich. Leider hat mich diese Aneinanderreihung von Liedertiteln, Konzerttourneen, Auftritten im Hörfunk und Fernsehen sowie ganze Namenslisten von Leuten aus dem Musikgeschäft ziemlich gelangweilt. Vera hat zwar auch einige interessantere Geschichten erzählt, bleibt aber emotional eher verschlossen.
Katie Hiles
May 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Interesting in some parts, but overall I was disappointed. Not as much about the war as I imagined and I didn't recognise many names she mentioned. Probably because I was born in 1987. But still. Sorry Vera!
Lucía Mancuso
Bastante sentimentaloide, pero igualmente se disfruta, y se lee rápido.
Anna Ciddor
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Listened on very well-read audio. A bit self congratulatory but pleasant, interesting and enjoyable autobiography
Becky
Jan 02, 2012 marked it as to-read
Currently reading: Vera is one of my favourite singers, so I HAD to get this book and know her story. I'm not at all interested in the war, just want to know her story. I really like her as a person and in her 90's she is a very happy, friendly and outgoing person. I'm astounded! I'm a little concerned about what I may read I may find disturbing or if I will get through this and still be interested, as in only 19, not 70. So I hope I can get through it alright
PastAllReason
Jan 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Dame Vera Lynn's autobiography is interesting in her description of her childhood, growing up as a child performer in a working class family. It is moving in her description of her war-time tour travelling through Gibraltar, Egypt, and then on eastward through Iraq and Burma as she performed for the troops. What is somewhat puzzling to me is her notable hard to miss failure to address the War's end.
Nina
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book really didnt match my expectations. In places I was bored, especially in the post war period.
I also had to roll my eyes when she kept saying 'its not like nowadays'
or 'not like children today' etc etc
I really didnt enjoy reading her stereotyped and presumptuous attitude to this group of people.
Penny Linsenmayer
Jan 03, 2010 rated it liked it
The post-WWII section dragged, mainly I suppose because her career never took off after those Golden Years. I enjoyed the WWII section the most, but I also was not aware of her special relationship with the Queen Mum. I also thought she had some poignant thoughts back on her life and accomplishments in the last chapter.
Joy
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes it's the little things that counts and when you look back they were big things to the people you have come across with. That's what this woman did during the war. She made a difference through her music. It wasn't easy during her time but she did it anyway. What an inspiring woman!
Nicki
Mar 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I did enjoy reading about Vera Lynn. All I really new about her was that she was the 'forces sweetheart' during WW2. this a fascinating account of her life before and after the war.
Robin Fox
It's certainly worth a read, and Dame Vera certainly has a story to tell, but this is a book which will appeal far more to the more mature reader
Alexander
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A blooming marvel. They don't make them like that anymore.
Andrea Hart