Start by marking “The Sherlock Holmes Handbook” as Want to Read:
The Sherlock Holmes Handbook

The Sherlock Holmes Handbook

“My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don’t know.”

This reader’s companion to the casework of Sherlock Holmes explores the methodology of the world’s most famous consulting detective. From analyzing fingerprints and decoding ciphers to creating disguises and faking one’s own death, readers will learn how Holmes solved his most celebrate
Published September 1st 2009 by Quirk Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Sherlock Holmes Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sherlock Holmes Handbook

Start your review of The Sherlock Holmes Handbook
Molly
Apr 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Now I know how to fake my own death. Heh. Heh.
Eva Müller
Good thing about this book: The cover is really pretty

Bad thing about this book: I've no idea at whom this book is aimed.
For someone who is new to Sherlock Holmes the books contain certainly some interesting information about him and give a good overview but they also contain spoilers for many stories (and I don't mean only 'The final Problem')
For someone who already knows the stories the book doesn't really offer anything new. It has only superficial information about the stories and quite a lo
Lisa
Nov 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
What a fun little book! Part how-to, part summary of Holmesiana, this book contains tips for detection bolstered by examples from the Holmes canon, as well as a slew of interesting factoids about the time period and the possible inspirations for Holmes (and Moriarty), and quotes from Holmes and Watson on a variety of topics. Now that I'm done, I want to go back and re-read the original Holmes adventures.
Alexa
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sherlock enthusiasts, detective fans
Shelves: favorites
This was a fantastic, casual, and quick read. It was difficult to understand the organization of the topics covered in the book, but this did not harm the flow of the book at all; it instead provided a great element of surprise.

Fun fact: Ransom Riggs actually met the editor of this book through a chain of acquaintances, which started with John Green!
Todd
An excellent primer on the critical thinking skills of Sherlock Holmes. How he was able to deduce or discover how each of the crimes were committed. Each chapter details the methods Holmes would use to help him learn things and how he made those discoveries in detail by presenting those actions or thought schemas work in finding details in the minutae.

This is a pretty spiffy primer on how to be able to deduce with logic and knowledge how crimes have been committed both on paper and in real worl
Stacy Fetters
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: roro
Always expect the element of surprise...

I now know how to solve the mystery of my own fake death, interrogate myself and fight myself with a sword.

Yes, in that order exactly!
Mark
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
This is an informational booklet on Sherlock Holmes, like a handheld Wikipedia article. It goes through the usual “he was a tobacco pipe smoker” to “he used cocaine”.
I was said to have an investigative personality growing up, and wanted to read Sherlock Holmes, but read this guide first, around the time the Robert Downey Jr. movie came out.
Siri Olsen
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is written like a straight up how-to guide to becoming Sherlock Holmes, but in reality, it's more of an exploration of different sides of Sherlock Holmes' character and skill set, including everything from deduction over martial arts to social manners. For someone who has already read all of the original stories and is familiar with Sherlockian lore, the book doesn't contain any new information, but I found it to be a quite enjoyable read nonetheless, especially because of the entertai ...more
Mike Hogan
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sherlock-holmes
A useful summary of Sherlock Holmes' characteristics and expertise. Among many other useful skills, we learn how to crack a safe, how to outwit a criminal mastermind, how to survive a plunge over a waterfall and how to raise bees. Item four on Mr Rigg's list of necessary steps for success in the last pastime is - Procure some bees.
Sherlock's equivocal relationship with women is examined, and the author gives cogent advice, in a ponderous tongue in cheek style, on how to manage siblings and child
Brenda A
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-con-2015
The Sherlock Holmes Handbook seems kind of useless truthfully. There's a good chance that if you're reading it, you're already a fan of Sherlock Holmes. If you're already a fan of Sherlock Holmes, there's a good chance you have read many of the stories or have watched TV or movie adaptations of those stories. If you have read the stories or watched the adaptations, you will not see anything new in here. This is literally just all information you can get just from watching an episode of your chos ...more
Grace Jensen
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Holmes fans
Recommended to Grace by: Saw it, had to have it
I bought this at Barnes and Noble, just being a cute little compendium to Sherlock Holmes. It's small in size, and you don't get a whole lot about cases, it's more like facts about why some things would be accurate (and where in the canon it's cited) and factoids about Victorian England.
I enjoyed it, it was a fun read. I put little tabs for The Hound of the Baskervilles to take to book club.
When I got to the back, I saw the author was a Mental Floss blogger and was assisted by John Green (who al
Annie
Feb 13, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is more of a compilation of Sherlock Holmes' adventures where he applied certain skills, rather than a handbook on how to develop those skills. For example, there is a section on disguises with a short guidance on seeing yourself as playing a role and then selecting the outfit to go with it. The rest of the section then describes incidents where Holmes had donned disguises so effectively that he even fooled Dr. Watson on several occasions. There are also sections about the life of Sir ...more
Gemma
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If ever you want to look at the methods of Sherlock Holmes to determine how one would go about interpreting them, then this is the book for you.
From handling children, dealing with royalty and staging a dramatic entrance, this book is full of hints and tips to follow, all of which are taken from the Holmes stories.

A unique look at the techniques Holmes employs in each of the stories, and one that happily compliments.
A must read for Holmes fans.
Tac Anderson
Jul 03, 2014 rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable read. I really enjoyed the added context about Victorian England and other real world facts that are relevant to the stories. A lot of the "advice" given in the book is based on one or two anecdotes from the stories and are superficial at best, but still interesting. Still a good read for a fan of Doyle's work.
Shelby Loren Scott
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
As a hardcore Sherlockian, I absolutely loved this book! I learned things I hadn't known before about one of my favorite classics! There's plenty of useful tips, and certain areas of the book made me laugh! I recommend this little handbook to anyone who loves the Sherlock Holmes stories, as I find it to be a necessary addition to my collection.
Beth
Dec 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Any Holmes fan needs to read this. It's a super fun read and I really enjoyed it. It was awesome to delve deeper into a world I already love and learn about the times and life of people who lived in them. I will definitely reread this.
Courtney
May 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Eh this was a little bit serious and a little bit hilarious at the same time. I found myself thinking "no sh*t Sherlock* to a great deal of it. But I did enjoy the quotes from the book and the historical bits throughout.
Ishtiaque Alam Russel
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Succinct, specific, no nonsense guide to understand and employ methods and techniques put in action by world's greatest fictional consulting detective, The Sherlock Holmes. The illustrations are simply brilliant.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Sep 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010, fandom
Really worth the read.
Ashley
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It is very difficult to find things about Sherlock Holmes that I do not already know, but this book did that in a highly entertaining way. Plus, the author's name is awesome. :)
Dyah Rinni
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
fun little book and shortcut into how sherlock investigate things.
Tucker
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tucker by: Craig Gurchinoff
A pleasingly obsessive, well organized breakdown of the character and antics of Sherlock Holmes, a fictional person believed by some to be very nearly real.
Stacey
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easy to read and witty, overall, I thoroughly enjoyed it! Ransom Riggs brings Holmes to life!
Cliff Poche
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everything you always wanted to know about the master detective and how to be like one as well! (sort of)
Fox
The Sherlock Holmes Handbook is an entertaining look at the world's most famous consulting detective. The book is amusingly written, full of wry humor and little asides to the experienced Sherlockian. It is broken up into various sections of lessons to be learned from Sherlock. Included herein are: How to Fake Your Death, How to Break a Cipher, How to Defend Yourself, and How to Track Footprints. While not comprehensive, it would prove a funny addition to any enthusiasts library.

Ransom Riggs i
Izzy Rose
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well, if you are planing on being a detective or simply aspire to be like Sherlock Holmes, this is the book for you. Not only will you be able to observe and detect like the famous sleuth, but (if you are willing to go all out on your attempt to be Holmes ;D) how to fake your own death, outwit a criminal mastermind, how to keep bees, and how to stage a dramatic entrance. This book was both amusing and informative. I would recommend it to any Holmes fan so long as they've read all the Arthur Cona ...more
Grrlscientist
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
My name is Sherlock Homes. It is my business to know what other people don’t know.

 — Sherlock Homes in “The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle” (1892)

Are you Sherlocked? Do you wish to hone your thinking and observational skills to meet the high standard set by Sherlock Holmes? Maybe you want to learn how to better deal with friends and relations? Or, having tried that, maybe you now wish to learn how to disguise yourself or to fake your own death? Or perhaps you just want to learn how to crack you
Jason
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this little light hearted book about the various techniques and methods Sherlock Holmes uses throughout his adventures. However, my biggest issue with it is that it’s full of spoilers! I’m like, man can’t you give us this cool information without spoiling major Sherlock stories? So if you’re wary of that, don’t read it. But if you don’t care, it’s a fun read.
Diah R
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sleuthing-job
I refrained to read every words too deep because, admittedly, I haven't read every Holmes' stories out there. There were spoilers and basic wikihow stuffs and funny comments. Otherwise a simple read for an afternoon.
Ellen
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
It took me over a year to finish this slim volume. I kept asking myself why anyone would take the time to write it. It wasn’t particularly enjoyable. And no one is going to use it as a real reference book.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Mrs. Poe
  • The Mysterious Mr. Quin (Harley Quin, #1)
  • Vägen till din första miljon
  • The PROX Transmissions
  • De 7 nycklarna
  • Hjärnfokus - Så blir du lugn, kreativ och fokuserad
  • The Black Mountain (Nero Wolfe, #24)
  • The Complete Cooking For Two Cookbook
  • The Return of Mr Campion: 13 Collected Stories
  • The Calleshire Chronicles Volume One: The Religious Body, Henrietta Who?, and The Stately Home Murder
  • Più lontana della luna
  • Cleopatra: La regina che sfidò Roma e conquistò l'eternità
  • The Night Country (The Hazel Wood, #2)
  • L'arte di essere fragili: Come Leopardi può salvarti la vita
  • Flashpoint: Batman - Knight of Vengeance Special Edition #1
  • Choke Gasp! The Best of 75 Years of EC Comics Sampler (The EC Archives)
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
Hi, I'm Ransom, and I like to tell stories. Sometimes I tell them with words, sometimes with pictures, often with both. I grew up on a farm on the Eastern shore of Maryland and also in a little house by the beach in Englewood, Florida where I got very tan and swam every day until I became half fish. I started writing stories when I was young, on an old typewriter that jammed and longhand on legal ...more