Start by marking “Doctor Who: Code of the Krillitanes” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Code of the Krillitanes

Doctor Who: Code of the Krillitanes (Doctor Who: Quick Reads #5)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  546 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
"I blame those new Brainy Crisps. Since he started eating them, he's been too clever by half."

Can eating a bag of crisps really make you more clever? The company that makes the crisps says so, and they seem to be right.

Published 2010 by BBC Books

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

James Cotter
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
It maybe only 100 pages long but this was an enjoyable well written 10th Doctor story featuring none of his normal companions the Doctor seems to come across with a bit more edge than normal and I like it. The aliens are interesting and the humans come across well too which is a rare treat in a Doctor Who book. I liked the twist at the end and the whole book flowed nicely. I didn't give it a five star rating because their were a few moments that didn't quite sit right for me and although I liked ...more
Hasselhh
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
It was so close to be one of my favorit Doctor Who books, but then came a dark twist that I didn't like. I know this is meant to take place in his dark period post-Rose, but it was still a bit too dark to make to book really good.
Helen
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
It had to be something sinister, or there wouldn't be a story. Such a shame - I really fancy crisps that make you brainier!
Melenia
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reads just like the tenth Doctor should. Great quick fun read. I believe anyone who enjoys the tenth Doctor will enjoy this book.
Andy Hickman
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
“Doctor Who: Code of the Krillitanes” by Justin Richards

Tenth Doctor exposes a dodgy manufacturing company that is actually a tool for global domination.

“I blame those new Brainy Crisps. Since he started eating them, he's been too clever by half.”

“You've undervalued Henry. Just like you've undervalued all the humans on this planet. You're going to pay for that. Unless you leave now.” (p96)
Ella Dijle (book.monkey)
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: whovian
I enjoyed most if the book besides the ending. I did not like the ending but that is just me and without spoilers I can't really say why. although I did feel like in this one you did again get a taste of what the doctor is really like.
Shawn
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, e, sci-fi
Quick read indeed

Another book-episode of Doctor Who down. This one, however, had a certain ineffable something that made it flow better and really captured the characters better somehow.
Great way to spend an hour with the Doctor.
Ian

But the Doctor is worried. Who would want to make people more brainy? And why? With just his sonic screwdriver and a supermarket trolley full of crisps, the Doctor sets out to find the truth. The answer is scary — the Krillitanes are back on Earth, and everyone is at risk!

Last tim
Viola
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jednoduchá angličtina, příběh se mi také líbil.
Becky
Dec 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014
I've always been a fan of the Doctor Who books because I have always felt they added more to the series and that they were a good filler between series'. This was no different!

This book is a twist on the TV version of the Krillitanes, and there are only minor differences throughout - so if you have seen the TV show, the chances are you will already know what is going to happen. Despite how I found it excessively predictable, I did enjoy it and I found myself finishing it in about 30 minutes. Th
Taaya
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Spannend, kurzweilig, wäre eine gute Folge gewesen. Nicht perfekt, aber doch gut.
Artur Coelho
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Na sua eterna e inefável busca de solução para a aleatoridade genética que correntemente os transformou numa espécie de morcegos saurópodes, os Krillitanes contaminam batatas-fritas com óleo de fritura onde o principal ingrediente são os seus chips de memória. O disparo no quociente de inteligência resultante é medido num website que através de jogos complexos coloca os utilizadores a resolver problemas científicos. Controlando a humanidade pelos cérebros e estômagos, os Krillitanes quase conseg ...more
France-Andrée
I didn't like this as much as The Krillitane Storm. If you have seen School Reunion, it's just a kind of sequel, the story really has a lot in common with it. The Krillitanes' are using their oil to enhance crisps (chips to us North Americans) and give a big boost to human intelligence; with the power of the internet and the enhanced humans... they want to conquer which is their nature, I wont say how they intend to reach their end because that would be a spoiler and I hate those... It's a good ...more
Emily
The Doctor is back and so are the Krillitanes. Though sadly, Anthony Stewart Head (Giles from Buffy and the headmaster from the episode 'School Reunion') isn't.

This is a really fun and really short read. I would recommend this book to any younger Whovians--even as young as Elementary school--just based on the length of the story and it's straight forward nature. (I think at one point Krillitanes are described simply as 'bad'.)

That aside the 10th Doctor is in fine form. In the other Doctor Who bo
Jon Sayer
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Chances are, if you're reading a book that's part of the Quick Reads not-for-people-who-read series, you probably aren't on Goodreads. But let's review this f***er.

This is a book I read on a single two-hour flight. It's got Doctor Who in it. I found it for free at a Book Crossing drop spot while traveling, so it didn't cost me anything. The positives end there.

It reads like an episode of Doctor Who that was so bad they couldn't in good conscience spend money on filming it. Seriously, "Dinosaur
Richard
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Doctor Who short stories have been a common element of the Quick Read books each year and for the average teenage sci-fi fan they must have boosted the joy of reading.
As an adult and fan of this Time Lord I found the book very readable and liked it in part. The trouble is that the story can write itself due to the confines of the series. Here, the Doctor is re-united with the Krillitanes who plan to destroy the human race. As usual it is the people of this planet aided and encourage by our favou
Gayle
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Chad
Apr 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
The Doctor is back on earth again, but finds that people are just too smart. It all seems to be stemming from a new brand of crisps (chips) that are making people smarter as they eat and go online to test their new knowledge. BUT, the Doctor thinks there is something more devious going on are begins to investigate...

I liked this quick read book, but the Doctor is never as good without a companion. The story was fairly fast paced, but not as twisty and turny as some of the other Who novels. Still
Mikael Kuoppala
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it
A typically mediocre tale from Justin Richards, "Code of the Krillitanes" takes the villain and basic structure of the TV-episode "School Reunion" and reshapes it into an IT-corporate setting. As is often the case with this author, he writes simple, straightforward stories with a language to match that. Nothing sticks out badly, but there's not a lot of merit either. Pleasant, but oh so devoid of the element of surprise.
Nicholas Whyte
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was ok

For what this is - a short New Who book aimed at people who don't read that much - it is rather good, a story of the Tenth Doctor on his own, reprising the Krillitane plot from School Reunion with some extra wrinkles and a one-off young male sidekick who is into computers but lacks social skills. The prolific Justin Richards on a good day (it can't have taken terribly long to write).
Paul
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Review written: sometime before April 20, 2015

Code of the Krillitanes by Justin Richards

Why I read it: Doctor Who rides again.

Rating: 4/5

What I thought: It's a lot of fun to simply watch the Doctor trying to live a normal life. Sadly Anthony Head couldn't make it, and for good reason, but the Krillitanes that do show up get a fair bit of good material, and fun things happen around them too. Also I like Henry. It's all good really.
Andrew
Mar 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
Like it says on the tin, the Quick Reads are the perfect Doctor Who stories for reluctant readers or folks with less than an hour to squeeze in a Doctor Who story. A bit more twisty than the previous one (The Sontaran Games), this felt almost like a novelization of an episode from the TV series. And sometimes, that's just what I'm looking for from a Doctor Who book. Lots of fun.
Tria
100-page Quick Reads novella featuring the Tenth Doctor and the return of the Krillitanes, previously featured in the second-series episode "School Reunion". Short as it is, this is Whovian author Justin Richards at his best, with length enough for quite a good, readable and complete novella, but brief enough that the story's pace doesn't have time to slow down too badly, which seems to be Richards' main failing in longer works, usually due to a tendency to verbosity. 4 stars.
Caron
Ah! The Doctor's back at it again. This was a bit weird in the sense that there were times when I felt the Doctor was out of character but the quirkyness was there and what I loved was how they kept with the doctor wanting to give the bad guys another chance and feeling sorry that he couldn't save them.
Anu
Dec 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: All Whovians
Again, this book is only for Doctor Who fans. Set after Donna leaves and the Doctor is left alone, this book brings back the Krillitanes and their desire to use enhanced human intelligence to further their species. A short read that is very light and quite entertaining. This book is a great read if you are travelling and need something to kill a few hours.
Seth Tucker
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was wonderful. The author completely understood the Doctor (as portrayed by David Tenant). I also enjoyed a story with the Krillitane because they don't have the long history of some of the other Who menaces (the Daleks and Cybermen coming to the forefront of my mind). So if you are a fan of the tenth Doctor then I would highly recommend this book.
Elle
Mar 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
A short read that was fun but nothing new. We already know all about the Kirllitanes and it was predictable to the point where I'd already guessed what Henry would do. Likeable characters and quite funny in stages but nothing amazing about it!
Lives up to the Quick Reads name. Completely devoid of character development, plot intricacies or themes, this is a standalone 10th Doctor plot. Not bad, not good, certainly not terrible, I guess you could say this is the book equivalent to celery.
Charles Frierman
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Just a fun little Doctor Who story with some humorous moments. The Krillitanes are taking over and are using crisps to do it. The Doctor is on to them, though, and that means trouble for the bad guys.

This fun happy read somehow ended up being my #3 favorite book I read in 2016!
Dani
Jul 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Ich habe es in einer halben Stunde gelsen und fand es ok, aber nicht überragend. Die Krillitanes sind zurück, ihre Kartoffelchips machen alle zu Genies und dieses Wissen wollen sie für ihre Zwecke mißbrauchen. Der Doctor wills verhindern. Damit wäre dann auch schon alles zum Inhalt gesagt.
  • Doctor Who: The Sontaran Games
  • Doctor Who: Peacemaker
  • Doctor Who: Hunter's Moon
  • Doctor Who: Forever Autumn
  • Doctor Who: The King's Dragon
Justin Richards is a British writer. He has written many spin off novels based on the BBC science fiction television series Doctor Who, and he is Creative Director for the BBC Books range. He has also written for television, contributing to Five's soap opera Family Affairs. He is also the author of a series of crime novels for children about the Invisible Detective, and novels for older children. ...more
More about Justin Richards...

Doctor Who: Quick Reads (7 books)
  • Doctor Who: I Am a Dalek