Start by marking “Spice & Wolf, Vol. 02” as Want to Read:
Spice & Wolf, Vol. 02

Spice & Wolf, Vol. 02

(狼と香辛料 / Spice & Wolf: Light Novel #2)

Following his good fortune in Pazzio, Lawrence is confident that he is on the path to realizing his dream of becoming a town merchant. One ill-informed business decision, though, leaves him teetering on the brink of bankruptcy and ruin! With no assets to his name - other than the cunning of his fetching traveling companion, Holo the Wisewolf - Lawrence may need to resort ...more
Paperback, Novel, 283 pages
Published June 15th 2010 by Yen On (first published June 10th 2006)

Start your review of Spice & Wolf, Vol. 02
Kenchiin
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: light-novel
That was intense for a second volume lol
Selena
Lawrence, Lawrence, Lawrence... However did you survive before meeting Holo?

As usual, Lawrence manages to get himself into trouble, which Holo promptly gets him out of, which gets them once more into trouble, which they both ultimately work together to get out of. Despite the easy formula, you'd never guess what would happen.

I have to say, having the "realistic" cover as a sleeve was nice. I get to protect the cover I really like with the cover that's so-so while I carry it around to read.

If you
Doc
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With a bad stroke of luck Lawrence's future is in trouble but thanks to the wise wolf Holo and honest shepherdess Norah he might be saved from a ruined future. With conspiracies, betrayal, and a crime against the church itself this is a story of recovering from financial ruin, guilt, and affections as Lawrence learns valuable lessons. :)
Chibineko
Oct 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you've been hesitating to purchase this volume due to the cover art of the previous volume, rest assured- Yen Press has heard your complaints. The books now have the original artwork on the book itself, while the "realistic" covers are now a slip cover. That really is a marked improvement, I must say. While I understand what they were trying to go for, the target audience for these books is the manga & anime crowd. (Especially since these books are almost always placed in the manga ...more
Brandon Varnell
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: light-novels
For original review, click here: http://pokemaster12.blogspot.com/2015...

Once again, Hasekura must be commended for creating a wonderful light novel that I enjoyed thoroughly from beginning to end. Spice & Wolf volume 2 was thrilling to read and managed to somehow keep me hooked from beginning to end.

Volume 2 continues where volume 1 left off. Holo the Wisewolf is still traveling with Lawrence, and Hasekura accurately captures the charm of the original book by having the two continuously
Niquie
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, much more than the first book. After Kieli and Sword Art Online finding a light novel series I still haven't felt like I needed to finish, a series I have yet not to enjoy, is really nice. Soothing.

Book two is more serious than book one, I learned more about the world and its cultures which was interesting, Holo was more developed, and the banter between Lawrence and Holo made me smile even if I felt confused at times.

All in all this series is interesting (it's
Nicholas Alexander
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Spice and Wolf vol 2 was a good book, a slight step down from the first entry, but a very good story nonetheless. Lawrence and Holo's interactions are more subtle and refined as they come to understand one another better. The bankruptcy and gold-smuggling plot were a step up from the economics of the first book. Norah's innocence and honesty make her a great foil to Holo. My only real complaint with vol 2 would be that it took a bit longer for the story to get moving, and there were some parts ...more
Jessie
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Spice and Wolf volume two just proved that I truly enjoy this series, and have grown to love Holo and Lawrence.

Volume two follows the same dynamic of volume one with the characters going into a new town, Lawrence getting into another problem, betrayal and getting out of the problem. The translators at yen press have done an incredible job of translating the novel into English as I read some books from other countries which translation are horrible.

I enjoyed the character which is not much but
phoenix296
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Last chapter felt a bit rushed. Otherwise very enjoyable!
Derek
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novel is the merchant romance story I didn't know I wanted. The light novel format makes it very easy to read and follow, and has a simple style of linear narration where I am only required to pay attention to the problem at hand, and enjoy the banter between Holo and Lawrence.

Despite being an easy read, the author uses some economic concepts which seamlessly blends in with the story. The problem in this volume involves a successful haggling that leads to buying a higher volume of goods on
Mars Dorian
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
A solid continuation of the first Spice & Wolf book with the same interesting background of trade and business. In his story, the duo even meets a shepherd girl working for the Church which brings another dimension to the relationships.

However, the problems I faced with the first novel become more discernible now: What do the main characters want? Lawrence's a trader, but what is his goal in life and in the novel?
The same goes for his quirky companion. What does Holo The Wisewolf want?
Rosie_Posie_Reads
The tension rises after a purchase deal gone bad...

After their great fortune in Pazzio, Lawrence feels confident in his choice to buy armor. It seems like it would make a decent profit... until he learns that the armor markets has tanked and now he owes a large sum of debt! On the edge of bankruptcy and ruin, Lawrence resorts to a risky illegal gold smuggling operation to pay off his debts. With his traveling companion, Holo by his side, a and a new friend they met along the way, they will
Robert R.
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second in a quirky adventure/romance/travel story.

To some degree this feels like the obligatory "guy is tempted by another girl" story that follows the two main protagonists meeting. It is that, but it's somehow more too. As is typical with the Spice and Wolf series the witty dialog between Lawrence and Holo is one of the big draws.

The story adds depth to the world building, helping to accentuate just how harsh a world this is. We see the protagonists grasp on how far they will go for each
Jessica  (Ihaveseenthedragons)
Definitely on par with the first volume. Of course, the two get themselves into trouble again which takes some clever and original out of the box thinking to solve. Norah was a nice character addition to the novel as well. I just cannot get enough of Holo and Lawrence arguing with each other and I just live for Holo getting jealous of everything and everyone and pretending not to care at all, while when everything resolved and they can finally take a breath again, they grow a bit closer ...more
Love
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
I like the idea of Spice and Wolf more then the actual novels. The premise of having a light novel series focused on economics and trade, with a travelling merchant and his wolf girl companion in leading roles appeals to me.

But I dislike the old fashioned English used in the translations of these books. Light novels are supposed to be 'light' and have an anime/manga feel to them. These novels doesn't fit that description at all. They just don't feel like light novels.
Schzzy
Whilst the first volume ended up too dense with information, therefore boring, the second lacked chemistry between the main characters, whom, to me, felt very 2 dimensional. Meanwhile the actual plot was fantastic: very tense and gripping. A real page turner.
This volume was, even with its flaws, better than the first, which was, in a sense, forgettable.
Dat Nguyen
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another good story involves everything I expect from Spice & Wolf, the main characters's traumatic and problems are surprisingly enormous that it could make you think the first book is just a trailer for this one.
Alicia
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel consisted of many heart-stopping moments, which kept my attention held and my mind interested. Through this book, I look through the eyes of a desperate person striving to avoid their grim fate even through using illicit methods. It allowed me to see that people can be deceiving in situations like these, and do anything to bring themselves back up. This book was definitely an interesting novel to read.
Jose
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic
The story is still interesting, but some of the characters just don't fit that well.
Anniken Haga
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2018
So while I knew rather well what would happen in the first book of this series because I'd watched the anime, that was not the case with this book. I've only watched the first few episodes of season two, so I didn't really know how things would turn out.

As with the first book, I found this one had a nice flow to its language and interesting dialogue. I do wish we'd gotten a bit more character-growth, and a bit more show rather than tell, but I still found it a fun and enjoyable read.

I'm
Tiina
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, j-lit
A cozy read with lovely illustrations. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
Danielle Mercado
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love Spice and Wolf really great story
AJ Fritzke
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: light-novel
This is a fantastic novel that is worth reading. if you enjoy low fantasy settings and a bit of drama, romance, and economics this is a book for you.
Karla Schneider
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is a lot of plot twist and tension in this series, if somehow in your heart you can bare past it, it's worth it in the end.
Nataliek
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A brilliant continuation of the travels of Holo and Lawrence.
Michael H (Mouse UK)
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel-finnished
2nd in the series... Continuing their journey home they come into a little luck, then a little more trouble but overall with the help of the wise wolf they manage to get through it...

Enjoyable read...
Katsuro Ricksand
Dec 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
This was not a good novel. At all.
Only one character--Holo--was the slightest bit interesting. The rest left me cold.

And don't get me started about the writer's style. Hasekura has a way of over-explaining things. He'll tell you all you need to know, and then clarify it a bit even though there was no need. He uses elegant variation, too, constantly switching between referring to the protagonist with his name--Lawrence--and "the merchant." He does the same with all the characters. It gets
Jorge de la Vega
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Seldom are the heroes thrown into such disarray from the start (unless, of course, it is such calamities which propel the narrative to begin with), yet this volume quickly pushes Lawrence and Holo into a very precarious position, on the edge of bankruptcy and with nowhere to go but a fellow unfortunate, yet kindly, soul. At once advancing the relationship between our two leads and hindering their every step towards their ultimate goal, this volume aims to illustrate some of the less-savory ...more
Chad
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Alas, I'll keep this short.

I enjoyed the heck out of this story. I'm invested in the main characters, and I found the story absorbing. I felt disappointed every time I had to put the book down to do something else.

I'm quite amused by the fact that, apart from one event near the beginning of the story, every bad thing that happened was motivated by the danger posed by government -- even when the government in question was the church. (view spoiler)
Mike
May 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: light-novels
Quick thoughts: Finally came back to this. I like Holo and Lawrence and the general idea behind the series, but it gets so bogged down in the economics I find it a chore to read. Further hampering my enjoyment of this volume is the fact that it's my second exposure to the story, so there was no mystery to the plot progression to keep me engaged. And the anime executed it better to boot. It's also becoming hard to get caught up in Lawrence's pride in being a merchant considering absolutely no one ...more
Japanese Novel an...: Spice & Wolf, Vol. 2 20 17 Jul 12, 2015 05:20AM

• Bakemonogatari, Part 1 (Bakemonogatari, #1, Part 1)
  • 空ろの箱と零のマリア 1
  • 空ろの箱と零のマリア 2
  • 盾の勇者の成り上がり 2 (Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, #2)
  • ノーゲーム・ノーライフ 3 ゲーマー兄妹の片割れが消えたようですが……?(No Game No Life, #3)
  • Bakemonogatari, Part 2: Monster Tale (Bakemonogatari, #1, Part 2)
  • 空ろの箱と零のマリア 4 [Utsuro No Hako To Zero No Maria 4]
  • 空ろの箱と零のマリア 3
  • やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。2
  • オーバーロード 1 不死者の王 (Overlord Light Novels, #1)
  • 空ろの箱と零のマリア 5 [Utsuro No Hako To Zero No Maria 5]
  • 傷物語 [Kizumonogatari]
  • 空ろの箱と零のマリア 7
  • この素晴らしい世界に祝福を! 5 爆裂紅魔にレッツ&ゴー!!
  • オーバーロード 5 王国の漢たち [上] (Overlord Light Novels, #5)
  • Bakemonogatari, Part 3: Monster Tale (Bakemonogatari, #1, Part 3)
  • ノーゲーム・ノーライフ 1 ゲーマー兄妹がファンタジー世界を征服するそうです (No Game No Life, #1)
  • 本好きの下剋上 ~司書になるためには手段を選んでいられません~ 第一部「兵士の娘I」(Daughter of a Soldier, #1)

狼と香辛料 / Spice & Wolf: Light Novel (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 01