Start by marking “Motivating Black Males to Achieve in School & in Life” as Want to Read:
Motivating Black Males to Achieve in School & in Life

Motivating Black Males to Achieve in School & in Life

If you've ever been uncertain about what to do about the chronic achievement gap between black males and other student populations, then here's a book that will forever change your approach to these students and equip you with a whole new plan for motivating black males to achieve in school and in life. Award-winning educator and author Baruti K. Kafele draws from his 20 y ...more
Published August 15th 2009 by Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development

Be the first to ask a question about Motivating Black Males to Achieve in School & in Life

Whitney
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Meh. Not much I didn't already know in the slim volume. The bibliography seems helpful.
Kevin English
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: teaching
A quick read. The questions, if anything, are helpful for daily reflection. The list of I-statements in the back are helpful too and challenge much group-think that can occur.
Trisha
Aug 21, 2010 rated it liked it
There's nothing more comforting than to know what you have been doing is actually what you should be doing. It's a quick read and would be a great way for teachers to begin a conversation on how to start to try to consider the unique needs of the Black males in their school.
Marc Medley
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Confirmation for me that I am on the right road in my school building. The principles are geared toward teaching African American Males; however, they will work with any student. Principal Kafele did an outstanding job with this book. I can truly attest to the methods working.
Trista
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
A must read for all educators.
Sydney Walker
Jul 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Baruti gives some good ideas in his book. I know the subject was about motivating Black Males, I would think his advice applies to
all students.
Aug 03, 2015
Desmond
Aug 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
“I pledge always to demonstrate respect for myself. I pledge always to demonstrate respect for my peers. I pledge always to demonstrate respect for my teachers. I pledge always to demonstrate respect for every adult in my school. I pledge always to demonstrate respect for my parents. I pledge never to resort to fighting or uncontrollable arguing to solve my problems. I pledge never to use or sell drugs. I pledge never to join a gang. I pledge never to engage in criminal activity. I pledge always to strive to be the best young man that I can be.” 0 likes