Start by marking “La bestia (Beastly, #1)” as Want to Read:
La bestia (Beastly, #1)

La bestia

(Kendra Chronicles #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  162,977 ratings  ·  8,843 reviews
Soy una bestia. Una bestia. No del todo lobo u oso, gorila o perro, sino una nueva criatura horrible que camina erguida, una criatura con colmillos y garras y pelo brotando de cada poro. Soy un monstruo.
¿Crees que estoy hablando cuentos de hadas? De ninguna manera. El lugar es Nueva York. El momento es ahora. No es una deformidad, no es enfermedad. Y me quedaré así para si
Published September 2009 by Versátil (first published October 2nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about La bestia, please sign up.
Riza Mae I've read Beastly and Bewitching and yes, they're connected in terms of the character Kendra,but no, you don't have to read one to understand the…moreI've read Beastly and Bewitching and yes, they're connected in terms of the character Kendra,but no, you don't have to read one to understand the other because all of them are different stories just narrated and being connected by the witch Kendra...:) (hope that helps)(less)

Cara
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romanitcs
Recommended to Cara by: Ash
So this book has been around for awhile and my sister actually had read it when it first came out and when I asked her how she liked it she said, "It was interesting but kind of cheesy with the internal dialogue. It was eh." But then I saw the movie trailer so of course I had to read the book and see what the deal was. This always happen to me, I think, It's going to be made into a movie? Oh I gotta read that. Then I whip my head around and see I do the same thing like everyone else! Final verd ...more
Wendy Darling
It's hard to feel interest in characters who are so shallow and dull. An interesting concept, but a book lacking in any real depth or beauty or emotion.
Nick
description

You know those rare special times when the movie is better n the book? JACKPOT! This is one.To be honest the movie is way way better than this.

description

Yeah love may never be ugly,but for sure this book is.

As much as I want to talk about how slow this book is and how incredibly boring and how you can't stand it,I don't want to spoil anything.

*"CHEESY"*

My advice to you is :
"WATCH THE MOVIE"

Maria Clara
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Esta vez lo he hecho al revés, es decir, he visto primero la película que leído el libro. Es más, no tenía ni idea de que este libro existía. Pero me ha encantado. Deseando leer el siguiente.
Bookwatcher
Kyle Kingsbury is rich, tall, blond, perfect .... and a spoiled teenager that take pleasure breaking young girls hearts. Really a awful person that deserve a witch lesson about inside beauty.

Well... books exist to this motive... take us to charming and delight worlds helping us to forget the real world we live... place that acclaim anorexic models (that look like dead womans walking) as feminine beauty to follow.

No place to moral lesson, so going on with my review, I may say that this book (as
Ashwood (애쉬 우드).
Awesome, cute story!! Enjoyed it wayy more than the movie.. I wasn't expecting.
The book gave more depth to Kyle's character, feelings, perspective of things, and how he saw the world, than I thought possible and I'm so glad for it because it made this an amazing story!

I thought this would be a bit boring due to the fact that Kyle was a wealthy news anchor's son, and also that entailed him being snobbish, rude, selfish, vain, unfeeling and spoiled... so overall a prick and so forth but it was an
Mario
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did not expect to like this book as much as I did. It might even be my favorite fairy tale retelling that I've read so far.
Elizabeth Sagan
Just like with Nerve by Jeanne Ryan, I feel there are too many below average YA books around. This is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. The fact that I already knew the story behind it had nothing to do with how boring this book was. The characters were stereotypical and not worth remembering. The story was boring and predictable. Don’t lose your time with it...

Kristy
Oct 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I am very, VERY relieved that I enjoyed this. I was beginning to wonder if I just didn't like Fairy Tale Re-tellings, but this one pulled me out of the slump!
I am so glad that Alex Flinn stuck with the "Beauty and the Beast" story... She made it modern, but didn't change the BIG details.

Our Beast, Kyle is a high schooler, a very rich, very good looking (as he describes himself, so obviously he's totally modest right?!?!?) one. He values looks and money over everything. He can't even look a
Exina
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Magic. It was magic, and the magic is called love.”

Beastly is a heartwarming, wonderful retelling of Beauty and the Beast. It is a very delightful read, with the chat sessions, the modern-day setting, the wide range of emotions, lots of references to classics, and tons of roses. It is just perfect. I expected a fairy tale retold, and I’m not disappointed.

The story deals with important issues, such as inner values over appearance, abandoned children, parent-child relationships, friendship, e
Jamie
Feb 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Beauty and the Beast' has always been a favorite fairy tale for me. Therefore reading this had me quite exciting. I had already seen the movie and enjoyed it and I was pleasantly surprised when I learned about the book.

This retelling takes place in a more modern day world, and starts with our "Beast" - Kyle. A rich, spoiled, popular pretty-boy who seems to have it all. When he plays a prank on the wrong girl he is cursed into a beast and we quickly learn this guy had nothing. He is moved to a
Marija
One of my favorite fairytales as a child was Beauty and the Beast. I liked the Disney cartoon, loved the wonderful creepiness of Jean Cocteau’s La belle et la bête, yet my absolute favorite version of the tale was Marianna Meyer’s Beauty and the Beast with Mercer Mayer’s great illustrations. When I picked up Beastly, I was looking forward to reading a modern retelling of the story. However, as I finished it, I was ultimately disappointed.

The book starts off well enough. Kyle Kingsbury’s the Adon

...Love is never ugly...

***Movie Poster***

[image error]

Book Review

I've been curious to read this ever since I've watched the new movie trailer of this book which will stars Alex Pettyfer and Vanessa Hudgens, and that would be showing on March 2011. I love Alex Pettyfer and I really wanted to read the book first so I'll have an idea what will be going on when I'm gonna watch the film.

The reason that I gave it 3 stars is because I have
Yin Chien 인첸
Dec 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a charming retelling of the story of Beauty and the Beast. The author added some twists and turns to make the story differ from the original version. And this is what that makes it an enjoyable book.

Kyle Kingsbury is the son of a famous and wealthy newsman, and he also has what it takes to make girls swoon over him - good looks. His life is perfect, yet deep inside, he isn't. When he plays an evil trick on a fat, ugly girl named Kendra, he is cursed to become what he really is - a b
Fiona
Oh my heart just melted into a gooey mozzarella cheese... ❤

description

"That's what true love should be like - the person should be a part of your soul and you should know what they're feeling all the time."

Beastly is a fun, quick, enjoyable re-telling of the popular fairytale; Beauty and the Beast.
Well written, with great characters and a great plot, I finished the book in one sitting and went out to recommend it to anyone who'll listen a second after.

The first thing that attracted me to the book was t
Arlene
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arlene by: Hannahr
Beastly by Alex Flinn is a creative, modern telling of the fairy tale Beauty and the Beast. In this book, Flinn develops a twist to the story by narrating the events from the Beast’s perspective but in a current day setting. I was rather pleased with the book in many regards, and I’m looking forward to seeing this book translated to screen ((not just for obvious reasons... ahem...ahem... Prettyface)) but I think there’s an opportunity to see a few themes pulled from Beastly, so I’m curious to se ...more
Kat Valentine
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beastly just goes to show that you can be beautiful of the face,but be a monster inside. I loved this up to date retelling of beauty and the beast.it was very well written.This was the very first beast that I felt not pity for at first,but as I found out about him I started to understand him better,that's the sign of a great storyteller.Adrian hides himself in a apartment with only his housekeeper Magda and his blind tutor will.The only pleasure he has is a greenhouse were he grows rose's,but wh ...more
JoAnna
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fun..... but I guess I was just hoping for something darker. Happy ending can be such a drag..... LOL all in all I enjoyed the story it just was not what I wanted it to be.
samantha  (books-are-my-life20)
So I've had this book in my TBR list since it came out a believe almost ten years ago i think and I wish I had read it when I was younger.....because I just couldn't get into it. for me the message was as deep as a kitty cool, don't judge people by their appearance is something I learned when I was I kid, and it felt very, very forced in this book, with the dad being awful along with ever background character the one character I loved will who had learned to deal with his disabilly had it cured ...more
Souma BookAddict
Oct 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018

I didn’t like this book, which is pretty much opposing to how the majority of people felt about it. I loved the idea but it was poorly executed. I found it clichéd, boring and shallow. as a retelling, it wasn't enticing enough.
Kyle is still kind of a dick at the end. And I wasn't interested in his redemption story, and I am pretty sure I started skim-reading two thirds of the way through.
Kimberley doruyter
it was better then the movie, truer to the original story.
Lina
Aug 25, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Beauty and the Beast
Since before I was old enough to talk, Disney's Beauty and the Beast was one of my favorite movies of all time. When other girls idolized real life celebrities, I idolized Belle. She was beautiful, independent and, most of all, smart. As I grew up, I learnt more about the origins of the story, I became intrigued. [For those unaware, the original story of Beauty and the Beast was to teach young women to be open to arranged marriages.] As it is a classic, there are multiple versions of the story a ...more
Anne
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a retelling of the Beauty & the Beast from the Beast's point of view.

It's set in modern times in NYC.
The beast is Kyle Kingsbury, a spoiled, selfish, narcissistic, extremely good-looking teen who gets away with much with only his winning smile.
After a cruel joke on a homely, overweight classmate, a witch turns him into the beast.

He has 2 years to find someone who will truly love him as he is, and whom he must also love.
When she kisses him, the curse is lifted.
But if he fails to find
Michelle
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Primero vi la película y me gusto, no sabia que existía este libro, y me ha encantado!!! Y ha superado a la peli por mucho!!!
Tatiana
Apr 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, ya
I enjoyed this new take on Beauty and the Beast. It was definitely an easy read, I finished this 300-page book within about 3 hours. The message about inside and outside beauty is a good one for young teens. I don't really think this book would have been very interesting for older teens, 10-13 year-olds is a target audience.

Having said that, this was an uneven book. It started very strong, but fizzled a little by the end. It just became a bit too simplistic and cheesy and the lessons learned in
Adi (Reading in the Windowseat)
A modern Beauty & the Beast, this story has it all - romance, angst, realism, humour & action. I loved every moment of it.

Honestly, I learned about Beastly through the news that Alex Pettyfer was going to play the main hero in the movie adaptation, but it was the fact that the plot was based on my favourite fairytale that made me eager to read it. I was a little cautious about starting it, but once I began, there was no stopping.

Beastly is a modern rendition of a man without kindness cha
Terry
Aug 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps I was tired and feeling a little raw when I read this in one four-hour sitting, but that isn't the only reason I got a catch in my throat and a drop in my eye. It follows the fairy tale closely, and I still was taken in by this story. This might be a love story that male readers can stomach, even enjoy. Could the female character have been more richly developed? Sure. Could either of the fathers in the book have been more fully-formed? You bet. But I think this is a good story, well told ...more
Iliana Simeonova
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Книгата е един съвременен преразказ на една от любимите ми приказки, а именно "Красавица и звярът". Тази приказка ми е любимата, защото тя разказва, че външната красота не е важна, вътрешното ни аз е значимото, а и да не забравяме и факта, че Бел обича книгите.
Зареди това книгата ми хареса, защото разказва една от любимите ми детски приказки, по един съвременен, забавен и лек начин. Неусетно приключих книгата и останах с желанието най-после да изгледам филма по книгата. Който за сведение в моме
Tiff
I truly enjoyed this book - which is no surprise considering my soft spot for fairy tales! I love a good fractured fairy tale, and this was no exception. The character development was wonderful. At the beginning of the story, I truly hated the main character and felt he definitely deserved to be turned into a beast! But I did change my feelings as his actions and thoughts took a turn for the better.

I highly recommend this modern day version of 'Beauty and the Beast.'
Kc
Feb 12, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Blah is the word to describe this novel.
Blah, blah, blah, and more blahs.
I got it because I want to see the movie, I'll admit it. And I hope it's a whole lot better than this book.
It's a remake, modern-take on Beauty and the Beast. From the beast's point-of-view. I don't know, maybe some people enjoy reading a book that is kind of a silly take on themes that could be a bit more serious. Personally, I couldn't finish this because it was very boring, and the characters seemed lacking, stereotypica
Goodreads Librari...: Add cover to a book 3 17 Apr 10, 2018 09:25AM
SQHS Sci-Fi/Fanta...: Beastly by Alex Flinn 7 16 Jun 04, 2017 07:31PM
A Little Bit Of This: Beastly 24 7 May 18, 2017 01:54PM
  • Spirited (Once Upon A Time)
  • The Crimson Thread: A Retelling of Rumpelstiltskin
  • Belle: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast
  • Sweetly (Fairytale Retellings, #2)
  • Jekel Loves Hyde
  • Scarlet Moon: A Retelling of Little Red Riding Hood
  • Snow: A Retelling of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  • Red Riding Hood
  • My Unfair Godmother (My Fair Godmother, #2)
  • Wicked Jealous
  • The Rumpelstiltskin Problem
  • Princess of the Midnight Ball (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #1)
  • Saving Juliet
NOTE: If you would like to contact me, please visit my Facebook, Twitter, or website or e-mail me (alixwrites@aol.com), but DO NOT MESSAGE ME THROUGH GOODREADS. While I have a bio on Goodreads as a service to my readers, I do not visit Goodreads on a regular basis. Like literally twice a year.

Okay, bio.

I was born on Long Island and grew up on a street called Salem Court. This probably influenced m

Kendra Chronicles (4 books)
  • Bewitching (Kendra Chronicles, #2)
  • Mirrored (Kendra Chronicles, #3)
  • Beheld (Kendra Chronicles, #4)
“Just because something is beautiful doesn´t mean it´s good.” 953 likes
“those who do not know how to see the precious things in life will never be happy.” 590 likes