Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes: The American Years: The American Years” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes: The American Years: The American Years

Sherlock Holmes: The American Years: The American Years

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  93 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
A compelling volume of original tales concerning Sherlock Holmes' legendary time in America

With an introduction by Leslie S. Klinger, editor and compiler of all three volumes of the Annotated Sherlock Holmes, this collection of ten original stories brings light to one of the least examined periods in the life of the great detective--his time in the former colonies, the Uni
Published February 2nd 2010 by St. Martins Press-3pl (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sherlock Holmes

Lᴀʏᴀ  Rᴀɴɪ
"There must be a never-ending supply of Holmes stories just as there must be air and water. And they must be the finest Holmes stories we can create. Not the true quill of the Master perhaps, but still nourishing to a parched and hungry soul."

This is the final anthology I'm reviewing for the Sherlock Holmes birthday month last January which managed to bleed into this month as well because I was preoccupied with other readings so I had to take breaks for the last two books in my SH roster. But
Roger
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Time spent with Sherlock Holmes, as I am fond of saying, is never wasted. There are some real gems in the anthology Sherlock Holmes: The American Years. Most of these stories feature a younger Holmes, just starting or thinking of starting his career as a detective. He is less seasoned and learning his trade. In these tales Holmes pays various visits to the Americas and rubs shoulders with such luminaries as Robert Louis Stevenson, PT Barnum, and Mark Twain. The Twain story is especially enjoyabl ...more
Riju Ganguly
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
The 3rd collection of Sherlockian pastiches edited by Michael Kurland is a refreshing one in the cluttered world of pastiches, with its stories covering a fairly large area, geographically as well as emotionally, in the great landmass generally known as America. The contents are:

(*) Foreword by Leslie S. Klinger

(*) Introduction by Michael Kurland

1) 'Inga Sigerson Weds' by Richard A. Lupoff: The Holmnes brothers travel across the Atlantic to attend their cousin's marriage, and in the process save
Christopher Taylor
Apr 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but it was not the strongest of the non-Doyle anthologies I've read. For example Shadows Over Baker Street was finer. Some of the stories held up better than others, such as My Silk Umbrella (which was more properly a Sherlock Holmes story, despite pretending to having Mark Twain writing it). Others such as Inga Sigerson Weds were much less successful.

Nearly all of them were presented as a mashup of other characters famous in history with Sherlock Holmes. Some of that is int
Iami Menotu
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A nice collection of well written stories
Robert
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Michael Kurland’s purpose of writing this book is to let us know about the storied about the great detective Sherlock Holmes before live in Bake street, he want us to know how brilliant that man is and how he solve every problem in the new colony America. This book offers various knowledge and fun stories to its author. From all the stories in this book, we can know that Sherlock Holmes is a charming, smart, intelligence, and mystery detective. After reading this book, it changed my opinions of ...more
C.O. Bonham
Jun 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sherlockia
I didn't really expect all of the authors to collaborate and make this anthology a co-authored novel. But did every author really have to write THE Holmes Origin story about how he learned the trick and became a detective.

I would also like to point out to all of the authors of the world that is possible to write a Holmes pastiche without involving a real historical person into the plot. Not very many of these authors seemed to have recived the memo. With guest stars including: P. T. Barnum, Mar
Jen
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fine collection of tales of the young Sherlock Holmes, before he became the Great Detective, a time frame not often explored (to the best of my knowledge) in other pastiches. It's a refreshing look at the character and the possible adventures he had in America, with many of the stories containing theories of how and from whom he honed his keen sense of observation and possibly where his perceived coldness to women formed.

Recommended for Holmes fans old and new.
Dave
Apr 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed all of these stories. I am a sucker 9 times out of 10 for Holmes adaptations. Doyle created a fantastic character, but I think he got a bit stale in the latter stories. These authors do a good job of breathing some new life into him. I fully admit that some might find some of the premises too kitschy (Holmes out west learning to 'read the signs' from an Indian out west, he meets Mark Twain, P.T. Barnum, etc.), but like I said, I am easily won over.

Alex
Aug 16, 2014 rated it liked it
It's a mixed bag. It's good to read about Sherlock again and to see our friend in action. But the quality of the stories range from entertaining to just okay. As there is not a common narrative how the young detective came to America, this need to be told or indicated in every story anew, which is a bit tiring.
John
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good mix of stories.
Ray Charbonneau
Jun 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
The authors do a good job of evoking the Holmesian aura, but don't do as well with the actual mysteries. Most of them are too easily solved.
Mary
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Fun to read.
Erniepineault
Feb 18, 2014 rated it liked it
l enjoyed the diversity
Julie Horner
Apr 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this groupings of authors and their ideas of Sherlock in America. Only one story seemed quite out of place, but all the rest were very enjoyable. Typical Sherlock.
Kathy Sebesta
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Some of the stories are quite clever.
Lindsay
I skipped more than a few of the stories, but the ones I did read were great!
Cyn Mcdonald
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Short stories are like potato chips. Mostly good ones in this collection, featuring a very young Sherlock and his adventures across America around 1875.
Amy Paget
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Very light reading. Better 'American' Holmes' tales than in some anthologies.
Meaghan
Kathleen
May 02, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
aka Jennifer Plum

Michael Kurland has written many non-fiction books on a vast array of topics, including How to Solve a Murder, as well as many novels. Twice a finalist for the Edgar Award (once for The Infernal Device) given by the Mystery Writers of America, Kurland is perhaps best known for his novels about Professor Moriarty. He lives in Petaluma, California.