Start by marking “The Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Sourcebook: A Guide to Healing, Recovery, and Growth” as Want to Read:

Trauma can take many forms, from the most disturbing of circumstances such as witnessing a murder or violent crime to the subtle trauma of living with the effects of abuse or alcoholism. This guide explains the psychic defenses that can go into effect to protect a victim from further emotional harm, and provides information on triggers.
Published January 1st 2000 by McGraw-Hill

To ask other readers questions about The Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Sourcebook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Sourcebook

Start your review of The Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Sourcebook: A Guide to Healing, Recovery, and Growth
Mary Allen
Jul 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone dealing with PTSD
This is the best book on PTSD that I've read, and I've got 4 of them! A wonderful guide to the disorder with practical tips on how to work through the healing process, whether you're suffering from it yourself, or someone you love has been diagnosed with it. I'm writing a book about a woman with it, thus the intense interest.

Highly highly recommend it!
Claire
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very comprehensive and accessible book about PTSD (i.e. the writing does not just target clinicians and psychologists). Among many other topics, the book goes over different feelings such as guilt, anger and shame, processes such as grief, paying attention to dreams and what they mean, and outlines different psychological treatments and relaxation techniques--some of the latter can be done at home. There is also focus on moving on after PTSD. It is also the first time I have read in simple words ...more
Avonlea Rose
Dishonesty has to be the worst crime in non-fiction writing. It's well enough if the author chooses to be upfront, but writing a Christian book on PTSD while not making this bias clear is unacceptable. It is as if the author genuinely thinks the reader is so dull that they'll accept inferences to Job, Jesus, prayer, and confession at a rate of rapid gunfire, without ever noting that they're being evangelized to. It is for this reason that, for whatever merits this book might have, I wouldn't rec ...more
Rebo
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great, inclusive resource on PTSD and various different treatments. It's really a must-read for anyone who is suffering from PTSD, who has a relative who is, or who is interested in the disorder.

It's informative without being overly dense, and easily gives you resources for more information if you so choose to explore it.

My only reason for giving the kindle version 4 instead of 5 stars is formatting. The book is clearly straight from the print version, so a lot of the formatting is iff
jw468
May 17, 2013 added it
Of all the books I read about PTSD, I found this one to be the most accessible.
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yayyyyyy!!!!! I'm finished!!!
This book came into my life at a time when I could manage it and had a lot of really great information and things that really touched me and rang true. That being said, I read every word on every page and many of the sections I didn't feel applied to me. I think with a book like this you take what you need and leave the rest. Not everything will apply and if you don't have as rigid as a reading structure as I do then you would most certainly gloss over sections that
Kat Hodgins
Jul 30, 2012 marked it as to-read
Tried to read this as an e-book., but the set up was horrid. The test only took up about a third of each page, and the resulting white space was annoying and broke the continuity way too much. Might try again if I can get my hand on a physical copy (or a better e-edition) but for now this one is going back on the "someday" list.
Shawn Birss
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very accessible and thorough book on PTSD. I recently also stumbled upon it on my therapist's bookshelf. By my reading, and his recommendation, I'd say it is an essential book on the subject.
Ginger
May 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great source book... lots of good information.
Rochelle
Aug 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Thoes who struggle with PTSD or if you know someone who struggles with it.
Recommended to Rochelle by: My dear friend Laura.
This book was very education and offered practical ways and tools to help deal with the pain and suffering that comes with Post-Tramatic Stress Disorder.
Tracie Griffith
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Truthful but not really illuminating in any substantial way.
Donna
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: trauma
A good sourcebook for the disease.
Susan
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Really good overview on PTSD.
Chie Alemán
Really great, condensed guide to PTSD, symptoms and treatments.
Janna Ladd
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! Highly encourage those with PTSD to use this book with their therapist to gain maximum healing!
Margot Note
"All feelings serve a protective purpose.... Even numb feelings protect us from overwhelming emotions at first and signal a need for healing later" (99).

"Relax and ask yourself, 'What am I feeling right now?' It is normal for survivors to have a tough time identifying their feelings" (99).

"Perhaps you weren't permitted to grow emotionally. That was then. Now the goal is to feel comfortable with all emotions, identify them, and channel them constructively" (99).

"PTSD is an avoidance disorder.
Robin Fry
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
One of the best sourcebooks I've read on post-traumatic stress disorder--in fact, I'm reading it again. Dr. Schiraldi explains many aspects of PTSD in easy-to-understand terms, and he provides several practical exercises that help people understand where they may be in their respective healing journeys. It's a great guide for anyone wanting to understand PTSD better, and it debunks a lot of myths and misconceptions other people may have. It's also a great guide to help patients, psychologists, p ...more
Jackie
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is an encyclopedic list of PTSD treatments available. This is overwhelming. Even though these options are apparently available, it does not address the difficulty to find even one specialist in an urban area, such as for EMDR therapy.

Its chapters cite works by various researchers. By using that material by permission, the subject reader changes the addressed audience regularly. This makes for difficult reading.

Hugh Mason
Straightforward, accessible and readable overview of PTSD that could be helpful to anyone who has received that diagnosis, or for the friends and family around them offering support. Generally neutral on all the issues except that the author's Christian faith bubbles through in a few places.
Jason Carle
Considering I bought this book for a reason, I am going to keep it around. It is a very good tool to have now, and will be in the future as well.
Amy Morgan
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: counseling, trauma
Has some nice summaries of issues that people face with post traumatic stress, as well as some practical tools.
Rachel Burkett
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have constantly referred back to this book since reading it. I read it for a crisis counseling class but since reading I have used some of the relaxation techniques on myself with amazing results! I use this as a reference on everything PTSD and healing from trauma. Great book.
It is a good, if I got it an year earlier it would made a huge difference. Instead I read mostly books about parental abuse and neglect which helped me a lot which is covered a little.
Brian Gillum
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is what it says it is...a guide to dealing with PTSD, for those still struggling with it, those who have learned to cope with it and for those who love them.
PWRL
Mar 25, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-new
O
Kelly Sherwood-Catron
Actually I am not finished with this book but have found some enlighting information.
Hannah Edwards
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mental-health
Useful in understanding what post-traumatic stress disorder is, how it affects your brain, and what can be done about it. I'm hopeful that I'll use this knowledge as a clinician.
Vanessa
Apr 22, 2019
Sumini
Oct 22, 2018

• Lola et la machine à laver le temps
  • How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy
  • Work: How to Find Joy and Meaning in Each Hour of the Day
  • You Were Gone (David Raker, #9)
  • The War on Normal People: The Truth About America's Disappearing Jobs and Why Universal Basic Income Is Our Future
  • A Ghost Tale for Christmas Time (Magic Tree House, #44)
  • Summary of A Beginner's Guide to the End: Practical Advice for Living Life and Facing Death
  • George Carlin Reads to You: An Audio Collection Including Recent Grammy Winners Braindroppings and Napalm & Silly Putty
  • Fascism: A Warning
  • An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good
  • Meg and Mog
  • Coping with Trauma-Related Dissociation: Skills Training for Patients and Therapists
  • The Sexual Healing Journey: A Guide for Survivors of Sexual Abuse
  • Healing from Trauma: A Survivor's Guide to Understanding Your Symptoms and Reclaiming Your Life
  • Polyamory: The New Love Without Limits : Secrets of Sustainable Intimate Relationships
  • More Than Two: A Practical Guide to Ethical Polyamory
  • Sex for One: The Joy of Selfloving
  • The Body Remembers: The Psychophysiology of Trauma and Trauma Treatment

News & Interviews

“Not surprisingly, people with PTSD commonly feel detached or estranged from others. People who have endured combat, rape, disaster work, and other forms of trauma often assume that they are now different and that no one could possibly relate to their experiences. They might feel that they can’t tell others about what happened or what they did for fear of judgment, and the secrets and fear of being shunned lead to their feeling disconnected from others. Because they no longer feel comfortable in social situations, they might avoid gatherings—or they might go but find no pleasure in them. Of course, to connect with others, people need to be emotionally open. This is difficult when one is still struggling to contain memories of the past.” 0 likes
“Sometimes, PTSD sufferers will shut out memories of painful periods in their lives and experience amnesia. Thus, a traumatized individual might not remember when his spouse died in a car accident. Another person who was abused might have gaps in her memory of childhood.” 0 likes