Start by marking “The Associated Press Guide to News Writing” as Want to Read:
The Associated Press Guide to News Writing

The Associated Press Guide to News Writing

Discover the methods and skillful tricks of master news writer, Rene J. Cappon, to create your own compelling and clear writing style. Designed to help writers at any level improve the quality and flow of their writing.

Former long-time Associated Press (AP) General News Editor, Rene J. Cappon offers timeless, practical advice and lively commentary on writing like a pro for
Published October 11th 2005 by Peterson's (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Associated Press Guide to News Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Associated Press Guide to News Writing

Start your review of The Associated Press Guide to News Writing
Billie Pritchett
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Associated Press Guide to News Writing is a short manual of style for writing news stories and contains good tips for writing in general. Ernest Hemingway claimed he learned to write from the advice his editor gave him. With any luck, a book like this will help you write clearer prose. Here are a half-dozen guidelines writing rules from the first twenty some-odd pages:

1. Writers should ask themselves three questions before letting go of a story: (a) Have I said what I intended to say? (b) Have I
Bethany
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every writer, every reader, every reporter.
Rated PG (although how do you really rate a how-to book?)

WOW. I started working as a newspaper reporter earlier this year, and I picked this up to get a crash course on journalistic writing.

It was amazing. I learned so much more about the news-writing field as compared to the academic-writing field. I can't recommend it highly enough, because it has basic writing guides as well as journalistic writing advice. I love this and can't wait to return to it again (although I feel now like I'm making
Putu Agung
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is written with the assumption that the reader is already somewhat familiar with the basics of writing, especially for the media. It assumes that you have started writing, and you're now looking to get better. As a result, I wouldn't recommend this book to complete newcomers who want to get started with writing. After reading this book I felt like I needed a refresher on the basics.

That said, this book is a handy resource for anyone writing for news publications, or even any consumer
Andy
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Search the author's name for the updated version of this book (different title). Some stuff really is out of date.
Rachel Brutsch
We used this as one of our textbooks for my Advanced Media Writing class at BYU-Idaho. Cappon gives a lot of good tips, and excellent examples of what makes good and bad news writing. I think you'd need to have some knowledge of writing for media already to really apply what he's demonstrating here, but it's a lot of good information and has helped me improve my writing.
Dave
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was incredibly helpful in my quest to write better articles for Wired.com. I plan on reading it again at some point. The real world tips and hints for saying what you mean succinctly. The section about writing ledes was also wonderfully eye-opening.
Adam
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to read for anyone who needs to know how to write - well...there are a ton of things in here that you can pick up for grammar, punctuation and spelling that you would never guess you have been doing wrong.
Annalisa
I use this as the textbook for the Advanced Journalism class I teach. We read one chapter a week and discuss in detail. The students' work improves with each discussion, as they become aware of their own usage. It's wonderfully to watch. An excellent resource
Becky C. Hennessy
Much like Strunk and White's little book, this was produced in the same vein. It's invaluable. Highly recommend.
Amber Hunt
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Twenty years in the news business, and I still find it useful to flip through this now and again to dust off some cobwebs.
Benjy
Oct 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2007
I'm taking the journamalism crash course for my NY Sun job.
Joy
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful
Lindsay Coppens
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It only took a few hours to read, and for an almost textbook-like guide to journalistic writing, this book was surprisingly interesting with thought-provoking examples.
Adam Cogbill
Not really sure how to rate this, since I don't have much to compare it to. Seemed like a brief but informative discussion of News Writing though.
Michael
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Buy it. Read it. Enjoy it.
Marwan Asmar

• The Unpassing
  • Zen in the Art of Writing
  • Cinnamon
  • Rise Up: The #Merky Story So Far
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • Who Is Jesus?