Start by marking “Camping with the President” as Want to Read:
Camping with the President

Camping with the President

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  80 ratings  ·  19 reviews
In 1903 President Theodore Roosevelt visited some of the western states in the company of notable outdoorsman John Muir. The description of the four days they spent together in Yosemite will appeal to readers of all ages.
Published September 1st 2009 by Calkins Creek (first published 2009)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Camping with the President
Becky B
A picture book retelling of Teddy Roosevelt's visit to the West, especially his time in Yosemite with John Muir.

I've kinda always liked stories of Teddy Roosevelt and how he probably gave his social planners and secret service ulcers. This fulfills all those desires. It also relates how Teddy helped campaign for more National Parks. A delightful read for nature enthusiasts or history fans. Definitely read this to kids before visiting the park to spark their interest. There's more info on both
Laurel
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A well researched story.
Mary Davis
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
good
Kaylen Harper
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.
Gretchen
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classroom-use
Camping with the President is a wonderful memoir about President Theodore Roosevelt. It focuses on his time in the White House and his love of physical outdoor pursuits. It also discusses the time that he and John Muir went camping as Muir was trying to convince him to create more national parks so that nature would be around for their descendants to enjoy and treasure. Personally, I also love that it talks about his love to read and inform himself about places he had never been. It's great to ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
I don’t think I would have ever run across this book if I had not been a Cybil judge and it had not been nominated for best nonfiction picture book. The publisher is a small one and the topic is a small story.

I’m glad I did. It’s a lovely book, with a well-told story and engaging pictures. Camping with the President is the story of a camping trip taken by President Theodore Roosevelt and naturalist John Muir to Yosemite in 1903. They slept on the ground and ate from food prepared over an open
Ofilia
Jul 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
I’m rather surprised that I liked this book. Maybe it’s because I have visited the Muir Woods and have seen the majesty of these trees. Wadsworth captures Roosevelt’s personality beautifully and his passion for nature is well documented. The illustrations are characterized by fine lines and muted colors. They are beautifully realistic and Karen Dugan’s manipulation of light in some of those scenes is majestic (pg. 12-13 & pg. 25). Kirkus points out that the narrative is rather wordy, which ...more
Jacki
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Camping with the President is a historical fiction book written for Primary and Intermediate readers. This book won the 2010 National Outdoor Book Award for Children's Literature.

The simple telling of President Theordore Roosevelt's 4-day camping trip to Yosemite in 1903 is an interesting and fun look into the life of both Teddy Roosevelt and John Muir. Today's Secret Service would never allow the President to camp in Yosemite!

The book is well written and includes notes from the author at the
Mandy
Oct 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Fascinating story about two extraordinary men and a beautiful place. The detail in the illustrations is nice, especially for the setting. I appreciate the additional info about Muir, Roosevelt and Yosemite, and the fact that the author explains how and where he gathered his research. Specific citations are given for many of the quotes, but there are also several very specific (and not terribly relevant) details, including spoken and thought words that are not supported with documentation. This ...more
Erica
Jan 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
In 1903, President Teddy Roosevelt headed out west to see Yosemite National Park. On this trip, he visited and camped with John Muir, the man responsible for petitioning Congress to protect Yosemite as a national park. Without the Secret Service, the President and John Muir explored Yosemite without the press following them. It was a trip that obviously changed President Roosevelt.

The storybook format of this book doesn't make it appropriate for a biography report but it will the author's note
Sara
Nov 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Kind of slow for younger elementary schoolers -- kind of young for older ones. I didn't love this book, although it did make me interested in learning more about Teddy Roosevelt and his role in nature preservation. Interesting facts and pretty pictures, but just could have been more well written.
Mindy
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth
This delightfully depicts President Teddy Roosevelt's childlike desire to escape to the California woods, with John Muir as guide and companion, to avoid politics, the Secret Service, and his life's constant publicity. Following his four-day getaway, he acted to preserve the Seqouia trees and established multiple national parks, monuments, and nature preserves.
Marianna
Jun 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book would make a good introductory read when studying the National Parks. I couldn't help but think about how different things would be today had it not been for the vision of Roosevelt and Muir. and their recognition of the importance of preserving our countries "wild areas."
Karla Talbot
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Imagine the US president sneaking away for a short camping trip without the watchful eye of the Secret Service. Or maybe they were quietly following in the rear. Lovely illustrations show the beauty of nature and John Muir's influence on the development of the National Park System.
Franki Sibberson
Jan 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Interesting story. (reread)
Tracy
Oct 05, 2015 added it
Very good book
Jarm Boccio
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bully example of a well-written non-fiction picture book, with a plethora of resources listed creatively at the end. What an adventurous man Theodore Roosevelt was!
Carrie
Meldeeb
Oct 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

• Where Horses Run Free: A Dream for the American Mustang
  • National Parks of the U.S.A.
  • One Tiny Turtle
  • Vision of Beauty: The Story of Sarah Breedlove Walker
  • From the Good Mountain: How Gutenberg Changed the World
  • Daylight Starlight Wildlife
  • A Wreath for Emmett Till
  • The Highly Intuitive Child: A Guide to Understanding and Parenting Unusually Sensitive and Empathic Children
  • Nelson Mandela