Start by marking “The Curse of the Viking Grave” as Want to Read:
The Curse of the Viking Grave

The Curse of the Viking Grave

The popular sequel to his award-winning Lost in the Barrens, this is Farley Mowat’s suspense-filled story of how Awasin, Jamie and Peetryuk, three adventure-prone boys, stumble upon a cache of Viking relics in an ancient tomb somewhere in the north of Canada. Packed with excitement and with little-known information about the customs of Viking explorers, this story of survi ...more
Published September 1st 1987 by McClelland & Stewart (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Curse of the Viking Grave, please sign up.
Grant Palin There was a sickness going around that the natives were vulnerable to, but which Jamie had already had. Alphonse and Jamie kept their distance from ea…moreThere was a sickness going around that the natives were vulnerable to, but which Jamie had already had. Alphonse and Jamie kept their distance from each other to avoid the chance of Jamie passing the sickness to Alphonse, who could, in turn, pass it on to his camp.(less)

Start your review of The Curse of the Viking Grave
Olga
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Хорошая подростковая приключенческая повесть с небольшим экскурсом в историю. Походя затрагивает проблемы расизма и сексизма, выводы по большей части предоставляет делать читателю. Немного не завершенная: приключение окончено, но добились ли герои своих основных целей, не ясно. В целом же, мир крайнего севера и населяющих его людей описан с любовью, характеры героев заметно отличаются (ну почти), эволюция главного героя имеется (существенная, пусть и не кардинальная).
Wayne Walker
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Several years ago, when our boys were little, we watched a couple of Feature Films for Families movies entitled Lost in the Barrens and its sequel, The Curse of the Viking Grave, both based on Farley Mowat’s books of the same names. I have previously read and reviewed Lost in the Barrens in which sixteen year old Jamie Macnair had to leave his Toronto, Ontario, school after his parents died, and went to live with his uncle Angus Macnair, who made his living as a fur trapper and trader, at Macnai ...more
Nicole
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reading
I can’t believe I’ve never read these books. Great fun!
LobsterQuadrille
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes adventure/survival stories
Two Against the North, or in its less evocative title, Lost in the Barrens, is a very good adventure story, but now I think I may actually like this sequel even more. Good old Jamie and Awasin are back, with Uncle Angus and their Inuit-English friend Peetyuk. Awasin's sister Angeline is the only female protagonist, but every bit as clever and capable as the boys.

The plot, pacing, and writing of this book are done well and altogether add up to an absorbing adventure story. All four heroes are c
Owen
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the sequel to "Lost in the Barrens" (1956), written in the mid-1960s. Both books tell the story of a youth who is orphaned and sent to be with his trapper/outdoorsman uncle up in the far north of Canada. In this volume, the southern authorities appear on the scene, wishing to remove the still underage central character back to the south, for "his own good." In company with an Indian girl and an Eskimo lad, our hero sets off into the northern wilderness, trying to keep one step ahead of t ...more
Mackenzie Bakker
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jamie and Awasin are still up to their adventures, but they are joined by a red-haired Eskimo boy, Peetyuk. The three of them find out that the Chipewayantribe in the north has been struck with a plague going around, and are desperately in need of help. the boys decide to help care for them while Angus goes south to the Pas to find medical help. while in the Pas though, Angus falls sick, and the boys, along with Awasin's sister Angeline, must find a way to care for the Chipewayans and pay for An ...more
Fionalennard
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book for reading with your son.
The Wanderer
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book features Inuit culture heavily, and I can't speak to whether the portrayal is accurate or not, or whether the Inuit people generally approve of this representation - especially the book's use of the term "Eskimo", which is no longer considered culturally sensitive. I am well aware that despite the spotlight the book shines on indigenous people, the story still revolves around a white boy, who seems to act as the leader of their little four-man team, despite being the least knowledgeabl ...more
Susan
I enjoyed this book even though I still disliked Jamie. I would love to give more details but the book was published by one of the big five publishing houses (see below).

Note: I used togive full reviews for all of the books that I rated on GR. However, GR's new giveaway policies (Good Reads 2017 November Giveaways Policies Changes) have caused me to change my reviewing decisions. These new GR policies seem to harm smaller publishing efforts in favour of providing advantage to the larger compani
Rants and Bants
This book was okay, but I couldn’t really get into it. It wasn’t really about the Viking cache despite the title, they only get to it very late in. And then you don’t really find out anything about the Vikings and I was lost on what happened after that. The characters were also more annoying in this book. They’d go back and forth with bickering at each other and treating each other like crap (like how Jamie treated Angeline for being a girl, or how the three of them treated Jamie for being white ...more
Darlene Ivy
Jan 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
A typical Farley Mowat adventure set in the Arctic. The title is a bit deceiving since the Viking grave is the impetus for the adventure, but the action and information about the grave doesn't take up a large part in the book. Great wilderness man against nature and interpersonal conflicts often based on the cultural background of the characters and a strong female character for our young adventure seekers to hold onto. The book was published in the 1960s and I would love to know how its treatme ...more
Grant Palin
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good successor to Lost in the Barrens, also by Farley Mowatt. In the same vein, The Curse of the Viking Grave is a story of travel, adventure, and survival. It's an enjoyable collection of culture, improvisation, emotion, and drive.

The story followed nicely from the first book, but I found the ending unsatisfying. The final chapter built up in me some expectations for further details, yet kind of just cut off. I would have liked another chapter or an epilogue to wrap up the story.
Bobbiann Markle
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sequel to Lost in the Barrens, this is a great adventure story for all ages. Four teenagers (two Cree, one white, one Inuit) make a long and dangerous journey across the arctic. The Inuit are sometimes called Eskimo, but the book was written in 1967, and there is nothing in the story that would be insulting to native people.
John Geary
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More adventures in the far north penned by Farley Mowat. This is a sequel to “Lost in the Barrens“ and is set a year after that story, even though the book was not written until 10 years after that first book. Lots of fun and adventure with more canoeing action.
Debi Robertson
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Typical Mowat, great writing, excellent Canadiana and fabulous insight into the native cultures. This is the sequel to Lost in the Barrens and both books are aimed at youth but written to expand anyone's mind. Well worth the read. ...more
Cathy Faye
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Reminds me of something I’d have had to read in school as a kid. I love Farley Mowat’s writing and his descriptions of landscapes. I think I’d have loved this book as a kid.
Kurt Vosper
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sequel to Two Against the North (also known as Lost in the Barrens). Another great read for young readers.
Keith
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
An entertaining sequel to "Lost in the Barrens". I read this many years ago when I was young, ...more
Rob
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this many times as a kid (and adult). One of the greatest adventure stories of all time. In my opinion. Give it to your 10-14 year old (and then read it yourself).

Timeless
Molly
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
Not at all as good as its predecessor.
Thomasin Propson
Mowat's novel was published in 1966, and while it's described as a book "For Younger Readers" it's notably different than the YA of this century. There is some (very innocent) adolescent romance, but the story is primarily a travel and adventure tale. (Maybe the difference in story is that this book was probably marketed for boys, and much of the YA today is intended for girls? Publishing houses working stereotypes would account for some of the differences.)

Though originally considered a childre
Beth
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wobble, kidlit
It was funny how homo-erotic I found Jamie's jealousy of Peetyuk, especially when he and Angeline start glancing each others way. Thirty years ago it just would have been the misogyny expected of teenaged boys, but years of fanfiction have turned my instincts (and lowered my tolerance for contempt towards women). But I still enjoyed the kids against the wilderness theme. ...more
Robert
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ages 8+
Shelves: classic, mowat
In this thrilling sequel to Lost in the Barrens, Jamie's only relative, his uncle, gets sick which sets POLICE to take Jamie into The Pas, forcing Jamie and his 3 friends up north to the Eskimos. The Eskimos help Jamie & his three friends, and at the same time, share a big secret to them. Next, they canoed east in hopes of reaching Churchill, and succeeded. The story ends in a train ride.

I especially like how they agreed about the brave decision to the east. Lots of people would be scared at tha
Fellini
Sep 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Продолжение Lost in the Barrens. Если первую книгу я читала и перечитывала не раз, то про существование этой узнала недавно. Наверное, лет 15 назад она бы произвела более сильное впечатление =)
Нечто среднее между приключенческими повестями Купера или Верна и набравшими популярность в 90-е бесконечными "детскими детективами". Путешествие, приключения, простой юмор и непременно счастливый конец.
Anthony
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic book!! Even better than the original. Makes you want to visit northern canada! Ended a little abruptly though.
Debbie
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
The sequel to Lost in the Barrens and like it a great preteen book. I enjoyed it too!
Bryan
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Could have been another one or two chapters at the end, for my personal preference.
Meghan Graham
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was great and I will have to read the first book. I think it ended really soon though
Shirley
Jan 05, 2017
Emma
Feb 04, 2021

• The Billionaire Murders: The Mysterious Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman
  • The Cat in the Hat and Other Dr. Seuss Favorites
  • Winterkeep (Graceling Realm, #4)
  • An Imperial Affliction
  • Знак Истинного Пути
  • The First Strawberries
  • F comme Français: Un Livre d'Alphabet sur le Québec = F Is for French: A Quebec Alphabet
  • Fluff: The Sticky Sweet Story of an American Icon
  • Adventuring Together: How to Create Connections and Make Lasting Memories with Your Kids
  • Duel at Araluen (Ranger's Apprentice: The Royal Ranger #3)
  • Гадюка (Повесть об одной девушке)
  • The Lost Spells
  • Ember's End (The Green Ember, #4)
  • The Peasant's Dream (Hagenheim, #11)
  • Ember Rising (The Green Ember, #3)
  • Hip, Hip...Beret!
  • Москва слезам не верит
  • Chicago's Great Fire: The Destruction and Resurrection of an Iconic American City
Farley McGill Mowat was a conservationist and one of Canada's most widely-read authors.

Many of his most popular works have been memoirs of his childhood, his war service, and his work as a naturalist. His works have been translated into 52 languages and he has sold more than 14 million books.

Mowat studied biology at the University of Toronto. During a field trip to the Arctic, Mowat became outrage