Start by marking “The Dirty Great Dinosaur” as Want to Read:
The Dirty Great Dinosaur

The Dirty Great Dinosaur

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  536 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
The Dirty Great Dinosaur is going to eat anything in his way! Only Hal (and his little dog Billy) can stop the hungry beastie, because they know just how to calm that Dirty Great Dinosaur down.
Published September 3rd 2009 by Orchard Books (first published March 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Dirty Great Dinosaur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dirty Great Dinosaur

Aisha
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book by Martin Waddell utilizes Leonie Lord’s cute and cuddly illustrations to depict the story of an angry dinosaur coming to eat a little boy named Hal for his dinner. With the majority of the page being dedicated to Lord’s humorous cartoons, from the dinosaur fixing the fence he broke, to him sitting down to eat a massive plate of spaghetti bolognese, it seems appropriate for this book to be read to early years children either in groups or as a whole class, so they can all enjoy the wond ...more
Kathleen Dixon
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, dinosaurs
I'm trying to figure out exactly what it is about this book that appeals to me so much. We're reading lots of dinosaur books - of course! James is 6 1/2 and loves dinosaurs, so what better theme for our major homeschooling topic?! Along with the factual books and documentaries we've got to read the fiction, and I'd hate to count the number of books there are.

So far we've mostly read picture books (though we are progressing to chapter books, still adult reading to child). Many of them are in bri
Emma
May 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-2015
A rather strange story about a dinosaur that comes to eat a little boy's family. This is a repetitive, rhythmic story that my boys enjoyed. By far, their favorite part was ROARing on cue on each page. The illustrations in The Super Hungry Dinosaur are fair to good. I prefer much more bold and interesting illustrations but there was nothing particularly wrong with these.
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tracy Morton
This could be used for problem solving. There is a lot of chances to growl in this story which is always a hit with the children.
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor-comedy
When a dirty great dinosaur invades Hal and Billy's lawn, they must step up to save the day and keep their family from being eaten.
Anthony
When a super hungry dinosaur arrives and threatens to eat everyone in its path, Hal and his dog Billy spring into action to save everyone and the day.
Hannah Higson
Really enjoyed this book.

Love how the pictures were drawn as if it was a child’s colouring - helped with the characterisation of the main boy.
Amanda
Delightful book for storytime - went over well with my boys most of all. Definitely using again!
Rosita
It is a great book for science activity. Martin Waddell had a non-scary dinosaur book. A little brave boy Hal stands up to a Super Hungry dinosaur that was always always hungry. This Super Hungry dinosaur that has threaten to eat him, his parents and his dog Billy. The boy refuse for this dinosaur take away all that Hal loved. The dinosaur had made a mess in the backyard so Hal and billy chase dinosaur and tight him on the tree. The dinosaur had to realize what he did wrong, so the dinosaur had ...more
Teri Patterson
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: problem-solving
Delightful and lively story; problems get created by having a hungry dinosaur. Hal is brave and reasonable; clever, fast, and patient; and won’t let Hungry Dinosaur eat his family or pet. Hal solves the problem of Dinosaur’s hunger with spaghetti.

Vocabulary: fair, apologize, promise

Polite Words Activity: Using puppets or play-acting, re-enact the end of the story: “I’m sorry,” gulped the dinosaur, as he cleaned up his mess. “Oh dear, I’m still hungry” “Thank you so much!” “Come back soon,” said
Destinee Sutton
A brave little boy named Hal stands up to a hungry (sorry, SUPER HUNGRY) dinosaur who threatens to eat him, his parents, and his dog. Once the dino is tamed, Hal's mom treats the hungry dino to an enormous spaghetti dinner and everything is settled amicably.

I liked this because it's fun, but it also shows pretty successful conflict resolution in action. The dino apologizes and cleans up, nobody gets eaten, and they leave friends.

I also really liked the illustrations--they're cute and add lots
Jill Smith
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book has already become one of my grand daughters favorites. I bought it for them when we went to the shop at the Queensland Museum at Southbank Brisbane.

Hal was playing in his garden with his little dog Billy, when... a dirty great dinosaur burst into the garden.

The illustrations are like crayon drawings and my grand daughters love it when Hal shouts at the dragon 'OH NO YOU WON'T'.

This is on the girls bookshelf at our home in an easy to reach position, as they reach for it often.
Kristen
This went over well in preschool story time. The art is awesome; I just love it, and the kids liked the story and liked giggling over it. They talked about a lot of the elements, like Hal capturing the dinosaur with the garden hose (they needed a little help understanding what had happened), and what Hal's mom fed the dinosaur in the end. Lots of fun details to pick up, especially for a small story time crowd.
Danielle
Good for preschool storytime. Might be a bit scary at first (the dinosaur threatens to eat everybody) but it all works out in the end. The hero of the story, Hal, is fast and clever and outwits the dinosaur, then gives him dinner so he doesn't have to eat anyone after all. This book is full of action and just a bit of crude humor. The art is simple crayon drawings that youngsters would be happy to copy.
Treasure
A great book for dinosaur story time! A hilarious story about a little boy and his dog, innocently playing in their backyard, when a super hungry dinosaur shows up and threatnes to eat his parents! The boy refuses, because he loves them, and proceeds to chase and wrangle the dinosaur. The dinosaur must clean up the mess he has made and then the mom feeds the dinosaur spaghetti! A fun, non-scary dinosaur book!
Heidi-Marie
A fun book. Cute pictures. A lot of the humor is there, so it might be hard to do for a storytime. But a lap-read would be great--especially if there is someone to do the voices.

3/29/10 The PJ storytime group was quite wide in age range. This book's story went well for the older kids, yet still caught up some of the younger ones in the telling of it. I made sure to emphasize the voices and growls. I think it worked.
Sunnyvale Librarian
Author Waddell offers a story of empowerment for young children. The Super Hungry Dinosaur threatens to eat young Hal, his parents, and his dog. Hal stands firm and says, "No." The dinosaur insists, but Hal doesn't budge, and the Super Hungry Dinosaur relents. Of course the dinosaur is still hungry, so Hal's mom cooks him dinner and he becomes the Super Full Dinosaur. The artwork denotes a childlike quality, and the dinosaur looks more comical than scary.
Renee
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelby Usrey
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is about a brave little boy who rescues their family from a super hungry dinosaur! This book is full of adventure and all about a hero! The illustrations in this book truly bring this book alive and help the reader feel the adventure! This book could be used in a classroom to jump start the lesson about dinosaurs! This book is a book that should be in a children's library in the classroom!
Kelsey
Age: Preschool-1st grade
Animal: Dinosaur
Emotions: Brave

I'm sure kids will love this book. It also has subtle messages about standing up to a bully that is bigger and meaner than you. The ending was unnecessary and fable-esque "And that's how Hal and Billy saved everyone from the Super Hungry Dinosaur." Okey-dokey.
Michelle
I really enjoy the illustrations in this book. The expressions on the dinosaurs face make me smile. There are a few sections of comic strip style illustrations which are fun to look at in a one on one situation but make a read aloud for a large storytime group a little tricky- even so my storytime crowd enjoyed the story. (There is a giant BURP in the story- which = instant storytime succes~)
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
The Super Hungry Dinosaur is somewhat of a bully as he attempts to eat Hal. Hal remains calm and through his rational behavior he is able to save himself, his parents, and his dog from being devoured by the dinosaur...he even gets the dinosaur to change his behavior.

I love the illustrations, the structure/layout of the book, and the dialogue. Great book!
Skye Kilaen
What happens when an extremely hungry and rude dinosaur crashes into your backyard, threatening to eat your family and even your dog? You save the day and teach that dinosaur some manners, that's what! Lord's art is fun, and the victorious kid narrative never gets old around here.
Maya
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
kids thought this was pretty funny. What kid doesn't like a kid triumphing over something bigger and stronger than him? I also like how the attitude of each character is so well put in their spare dialogue. well done.
Morgan
Nov 09, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sort of scary for a read aloud to the very younger set because dinosaur says he is going to eat mommy, daddy and puppy. Eventually, the boy and his dog overcome the Super Hungry Dinosaur with trickery.
Chris
We haven't checked this out in ages, but the kids saw it today and immediately requested it again.
A sign of a good book.

Personally the sequential nature of it doesn't fit picture books well, but they don't seem to mind.
Dawn
Apr 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story about a boy who convinces a dinosaur that eating him or any of his family members would be a bad idea. I like the pastel-crayon illustrations, and there is a lot going on that would hold a child's interest.
The Book Box
Mama read this to me after my nap today. It's a really cute book. I loved how it made Mama "ROAAAAAR!"

Re-read this one on October 6, 2015. Mama had forgotten we already read it so she got it from the library again!
Rosa Cline
Mar 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
A super hungry dinosaur threatens to eat the little boy, then his family, and his dog. He then goes and tears up the back yard. The little boy finds food for him and saves everyone from the dinosaur. At the end his parents tell him good job and it shows the puppy caring a stuffed dinosaur...
  • Tiny Rabbit's Big Wish
  • The Purple Kangaroo
  • Brontorina
  • Kiki's Blankie
  • Stormy Weather
  • Are the Dinosaurs Dead, Dad?
  • One Pup's Up
  • Moo!
  • Look Out, Suzy Goose
  • The Squeaky Door

Also writes under the pen name Catherine Sefton

Martin Waddell is the author of more than one hundred books for young readers.

Awards: Hans Christian Andersen Award for Writing (2004).