Start by marking “Green Days by the River (Caribbean Writers Series)” as Want to Read:
Green Days by the River (Caribbean Writers Series)

Green Days by the River (Caribbean Writers Series)

A novel about a boy on the edge of adult responsibilities, this is the story of Shell - a Trinidadian boy wtho moves to a new village and meets two girls.
Published September 27th 2000 by Heinemann Educational Books (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Green Days by the River, please sign up.
Jacelle Philip he isnt dead
our school ordered a whole batch of GDBTR book directly from him he signed them himself
Christian Bolvito Mr. Gidharee acted different than he did because Shell somewhat had sex with his daughter and then Shell was found with another girl; Joan. So then I…moreMr. Gidharee acted different than he did because Shell somewhat had sex with his daughter and then Shell was found with another girl; Joan. So then I believe that Rosalie told her father about what happened and because of that it lead to Mr. Gidharee sending the dogs to attack Shell; as a warning to not play with his daughter and marry her.
(less)

Nalini
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as a part of my Literature class, and I loved every minute I spent with it. The book casts an enlightening spin on a story so enthralling, you have to read it again, and again and again.

Its a 5 star simply for being a Caribbean book that I loved :p
BookOfCinz
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
With the impending release of the movie, "Greens Days by the River" I decided to re-read the book, seeing that I completely forgot exactly what happened. I am happy I took the time I re-read this book, having read it 15years go, most if not all of the book felt completely new.

The first time I did read the book I remembered being curious about the country Trinidad and Tobago- where the novel is set. Fast forward to 2018 and I am living in said country. When you are living in a country where the
Kim M-M
Oct 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: caribbean, fiction
Set in Trinidad, he describes in sweet details, about life in the island. The plot revolves around a boy who falls in love with a popular girl and all the drama it entails. It follows him through some years as he grows into early adulthood, and his experiences of being young, loss, and love... and of course blackmail :)

An enjoyable book though nothing seems to turn out quite right.
Chiv
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coming-of-age
Recently reread this book and I just loved it even more. This was one of my favorite school assigned books. I'm so happy I read this book. Intriguing plot and I love the symbolism in the book :)
Daniel Gamboa
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
This is my second and last book that I will ever read by Michael Anthony. In the last couple of years, I've taken an interest in Caribbean literature. While looking up books by Trinidadian authors, I found Michael Anthony, whose novels are highly regarded. However, I have noticed that the great reviews come from people who read him years ago while they were in school, so they are more like "nostalgic memories" rather than "factual reviews".

I started off with "The Year In San Fernando", which, w
Cindy McKenzie
I read this book in school in 80s and I loved it. I used to long for Literature class so I can
lime between the pages with Shellie and Rosalie. It's a book I will have to reread. It's been years!
Mike Steven
Not really one for me. I read it because it's a potential text to be studied on the GCSE English Literature paper and I've marked it for years but this is the first time anyone had bothered to answer questions on it - usually people select the far superior 'Of Mice and Men'.

Nevertheless, I bought it and read it so I would be fully informed when marking scripts and I have to say that the novel was persistently disappointing throughout. The author uses the technique of 'omission' (or so the candid
Ramona Chanderballi
Feb 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this book in high school and it's one of those coming of age stories that you don't quite appreciate till in your late teens.For the most part,the writing is comforting and relatable(I'm from the Caribbean) but loses you in some parts. The morals are strong and thought provoking. It's as if you're looking into the lives of your grandparents or parents as they faced tough decisions about love and the life they hoped to lead one day.
Vanessa Salazar
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Green Days By The River was a great coming of age story. The characters seemed very similar to how boys and girls would be at that time; enjoying simple country life but still being guided by their hormone.

I love a good twist, and that certainly happened at the end of the book, in two of Shell's major relationships. Poor Shell was blindsided. His attitude after everything was arranged was a little strange to me; however, I understood he was not thinking of himself.

Devon
Feb 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read this book when I was very young, and re-read as a teenager, with vastly different interpretations. Any teenager can relate to the experiences of Shell, as he moves into early adulthood. This book also showcases some of the rural aspects of Trinidad, which most people never see.
Shorrel Skinner
Sep 18, 2015 marked it as to-read
nice
Shawn Freeman
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
you have to read this book. It's wonderful and the author had a sense of Caribbean description.
Coraline
high school was more tollerable with this as a literature book
Neelam Babul
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A remarkably engaging book about Shell, a young boy who has to grow into a man bearing the responsibility of earning a living and casting aside his dreams to support his mother in looking after had s sick father.

Along with this, he also experiences love and attraction to two beautiful girls. The sweet innocent love presented in the book will tug at your heart and Shell's journey will most definitely carve a special place within your heart.
Khadine
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Green Days is a lovely coming of age tale

A wonderful story with a surprise towards the end. Anthony is a skillful writer and I read every page with glee as I imagined where Shell's "adventures" would lead him. I definitely recommend. Only about 220 pages long and a great summer read
Aurora Gayle
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful Caribbean story about young love! A must read!
r. Bentinck
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Read this in 1990 as part of my reading for CXC literature and I love love love it. The storyline lit up my teenage imagination
Darcy Hoover
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A charming and innocent story that carries me back to the days of my youth. Living in Trinidad and Tobago now, I identify with the scenery and cultures that this tale portrays.
Sherylann Joseph
👍

It was a great read. First book like this I have read and would love a part two to it.
Liam Jones
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I still have this book. I am going to read it again!
Danielle
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: going-to-read
i really want to read this book
Sash
Aug 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: west-indian
This novel took me by surprise.

The plot commences with lightness and simplicity, but eventually turns dark and dangerous.

The themes of youth, love and confusion are handled well through the eyes of the protagonist Shellie who has bitten off more than he can chew.

However, sometimes the narrative style of the novel seemed somewhat juvenile in nature, though it could be effective if the argument is because it is only through the eyes Shellie. Yet, for a seemingly uneducated young man he seems rath
Maria
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Found this randomly in my house and decided to give it a re-read. This was one of those cxc books we analysed to death in school and I found myself reverting to that analysis when I was reading. Sighs. Memories lol.
A good, short read. I loved reading about Trinidad and how places were, the descriptions, the context of growing up, a good throwback read for this month :-)
Bernice Batson
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
The character of Shellie displayed the attitude and characteristics of a Trinidadian boy all too well. A very good read indeed from the literary structure to the story-line Mr. Anthony left the reader wishing for more.
Janet
Dec 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I read this book on the heels of a V.S. Naipaul phase to further experience Trinidad. I liked the story. I'm left with a lingering memory of his description of vegetation that I never heard of before, and I'm grateful for that.
Debbie Jacob
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This touching coming-of-age story of a teenager who must grow up too fast is a Caribbean classic that fits comfortably within Young Adult (YA) literature. Shell is caught between two girls and the responsibility he must take when his father becomes critically ill. This is truly a timeless book.
Khadija
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book for my literature class many moons ago and fell in love with it's authentic Trinidadian trademarks. A beautiful story of love and friendship that had me wanting more. A must to add to my collection.
Arshaad
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As with any locally authored content it was so very refreshing to be able to relate to the characters, their struggles and the various settings. No matter how many times it is re read you appreciation of the story and the effortless way it was written only ever increases.
Khrys
Feb 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Comess! Funny how a desire you once had comes back to haunt you! When you get it after you no longer want it and the dream becomes a living nightmare.... Youth and folly can sometimes lead to a lifetime of regret paying for an error made in one minute.
Isabella
May 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great Book. Really relates to growing up.
  • A Brighter Sun
  • Crick Crack, Monkey
  • Harriet's Daughter
  • The Wine of Astonishment
  • Beka Lamb
  • Escape to Last Man Peak
  • The Wooing of Beppo Tate
  • Masters of the Dew (Caribbean Writers Series)
  • Summer Lightning and Other Stories
  • The Bond: Three Young Men Learn to Forgive and Reconnect with Their Fathers
  • Who Slashed Celanire's Throat?
  • The Whole Stupid Way We Are
  • My Start-Up Life: What a (Very) Young CEO Learned on His Journey Through Silicon Valley
  • Miguel Street
  • The Pagoda
  • In the Castle of My Skin
  • The Day They Came to Arrest the Book
  • The Day I Became an Autodidact
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Considered one of Trinidad’s foremost historians,
Anthony travelled to England in 1955, where he
worked in factories and as a telegraphist. His
literary career began with contributions to the
magazine Bim. His first novel, The Games Were