Start by marking “Paula Deen Friends: Paula Deen Friends” as Want to Read:
Paula Deen  Friends: Paula Deen  Friends

Paula Deen Friends: Paula Deen Friends

A comprehensive and delicious collection of crowd-pleasing recipes that will bring family and friends together for all kinds of occasions.

Sharing a delicious meal is everyone's favorite way of bringing together friends and loved ones. In her new cookbook, Paula Deen & Friends: Living It Up, Southern Style, Paula Deen—author, restaurateur, and Food Network star—turns to
Published April 4th 2005 by Simon Schuster (first published March 22nd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Paula Deen Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paula Deen Friends

A B
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I've always had success with Paula Deen's recipes, particularly her desserts, and was excited to read this cookbook. This is a nifty little cookbook with a wide variety of recipes and helpful, and often charming, little blurbs with each recipe. Many of the recipes remind me of refined versions of beloved recipes from church and community cookbooks (who doesn't like sausage balls?). The writing style reads just like Paula sounds on her TV shows.

Pros:

- I love the format. Recipes are presented as
Shelly Donaghey
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PAULA DEEN & FRIENDS: LIVING IT UP, SOUTHERN STYLE, is, first and foremost, a cook book. I love to cook. I love great recipes. This book is full of them. Therefor, I love this book.
Ms. Deen has organized this cookbook not by the type of food to be cooked (beef, chicken, potato, etc.), or a stand alone collection of cakes, cookies or pasta recipes. What she has done is oganized this collection into event menus. There are sections on food choices and prep for Tailgating, slumber parties, hun
Caylina
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First read winner.

I was so excited to win this book because I know how good some of Paula's recipes can be. The book gives plenty of different recipes in a menu style for different types of occasions, but honestly you can pick whatever you wanted for whatever occasion you feel like! There are very short stories that go along with the different occasions but it's nothing lengthy. The only thing I do not like about this book is that there aren't pictures that go with the recipes. There are some ph
Amy "the book-bat"
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
This time out, Paula Deen incorporates recipes from her friends and family. Again, the dishes sound delicious and easy to make. I enjoy reading the stories behind the food and how things seem to go together. This book is arranged by menu, but you could easily mix and match if you want to. (And her biscuit recipe had me laughing because she tells you to buy the frozen ones.)
Jan
Jan 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
I would have preferred more pictures...and that is why I get some books at the library and not buy them outright. I like Paula Deen; I think she's a hoot and her Praline French Toast is wonderful. I liked the "menu" arrangement of the book as well.
Jennifer Canaveral
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it
It is not one of my favorite Paula Deen cookbooks but there are some delicious recipes nonetheless. The book is compilation of menus for different occasions, much like her Paula Deen Celebrates! book. My favorite recipe in this book is her gumbo because it is out of this world! It has delicious flavor and can feed a crowd. I also liked her wild rice salad but many of the recipes fall short.

I love Paula Deen and I hate to give her three stars but she definitely has better books out there. In her
Virginia Campbell
Jul 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
"Paula Deen & Friends: Living It Up, Southern Style" is such a delightful book! The recipes are beyond mouth-watering! The menus are titled by the type of event such as: "The Boss Comes to Dinner", "Comfort Food", "A Weekend Campout", and many others. Great variety of recipes, interesting tidbits about the origins of the recipes, and a wonderful feeling of shared good times with family and friends. One of the best parts of the book is the Foreword, written in Paula's distinctive, descriptive ...more
Liz
Oct 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
I was surprised that a few of the recipes in here are good. The tomato tarts are a great starter to make when people come over, and the grilled pork tenderloin is really good, too. The breakfast casserole is a tasty brunch dish. This is a hit-or-miss cookbook for me, though; when I made the cream of broccoli and cauliflower soup, it was so bad that I had to throw it away.
angrykitty
Nov 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008, its-tv, food
ok, so this book has recipes that were basically taken from her tv show when it was on in the beginning. what sucks, is that like soooooo many food tv cookbooks, it doesn't have pictures. i mean, it's not like they don't have money at that network.
Ronda
Sep 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a great cookbook with some southern lowfat (yeah right) recipes. The desserts were the best. I didn't actually read it word for word, but there were great pictures and plans for complete dinners.
Susan
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks, author-d
I love Paula's books and shows. She is very down to earth and sometimes uses shortcut ingredients, which I love. There's nothing better than Southern cooking and her choices of recipes is varied and creative.
Denise Waggoner
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I may be mad at Paula for all her shenanigans of late, but I have to say I return to this book over and over again. It was a gift from my Mom several years ago and has helped me host a number of lovely parties! Thanks Mom!
Heather
May 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
If you want real Southern cooking Paula Deen is the queen! I wouldn't call her recipes the healthiest :) but this cookbook is true Southern cooking at its best! She also separates the recipes into themed menus and occasions.
Vicky
Jun 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This book has the best brownie recipe ever!!! Of course you have to ignore the fact that it has way too much sugar and butter, but if you can do that (which I have no problem doing!) they are the best!
Amy
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookingstuff
Use this all the time. Love that it is arranged by "menus". Praline French Toast is my husband's favorite -- first served it at a brunch baby shower. Huge hit, as is everything that I've ever made from this book.
Amanda Anderson
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: have
This is one of my favorite cook books
Ginnie Grant
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Paula never disapoints me! so many wonderful gems for entertaining in here, both fancy and simple but always amazing!
Lee Duncan
Jun 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
I haven't read it but I don't like Paula Deen so I thought I'd get on here and give her 1 star just because. I'm throwing a stone at you Paula Deen!
Bradley
Oct 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Everything is better with Butter...
Miss Clark
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking-baking

Could really use more photos to accompany the recipes as that is usually how I choose a new recipe. But most are good, solid classics and new variations.
Jean
Feb 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good recipes for Brunch.
Mychael-Ann
Aug 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is full of yummy recipes that I can't wait to try out.
Janet
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love cooking with Paula. She has some awesome recipes. Her books are my go to books for something new and Southern.
Gloria
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
great Southern cookin' ..... not for a diet but you change a few things and lighten up these recipes.
Lisa
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Paula is one of my favorite chefs. I have tried many of her dishes and they have all turned out superb!
Mar 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Anything with that much sourcream and or butter has to be good Ya All!
Michelle
Nov 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Didn't like this one AS MUCH as her others, but still found some good recipes inside.
Jack
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I cooked almost every recipe in Paula Dean's book!1 I really enjoyed tasting all of her creations. If you love cooking or Paula you will love this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111!!
Nancy Lines
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
I'm glad I bought this book from Chapters, the recipes are easy to follow and well written. I have already tried a couple of recipes and they were fantastic, I love this cookbook!
Natalie Scoggins
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is my go to cookbook for everything from easy week night cooking to WOW worthy desserts. Paula's recipes never disappoint.

• Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: An All-American Road Trip . . . with Recipes!
  • Rachael Ray 2, 4, 6, 8: Great Meals for Couples or Crowds
  • Food Network Favorites
  • Giada's Kitchen: New Favorites from Everyday Italian
  • Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook: Explosive Flavors from the Southwestern Kitchen
  • Emeril's TV Dinners: Kickin' It Up A Notch With Recipes From Emeril Live And Essence Of Emeril
  • The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook
  • Molto Italiano: 327 Simple Italian Recipes to Cook at Home
  • Alton Brown's Gear for Your Kitchen
  • Hungry Girl: Recipes and Survival Strategies for Guilt-Free Eating in the Real World
  • The Taste of Home Baking Book
  • Tyler's Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time
  • Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook
  • Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor
  • Food Network Magazine Great Easy Meals: 250 Delicious Recipes for the Whole Family
  • The Best Make-Ahead Recipe
Paula Deen (born Paula Ann Hiers) is an American cook, restaurateur, author, actress and Emmy Award-winning television personality.

Deen resides in Savannah, Georgia, where she owns and operates The Lady & Sons restaurant with her sons, Jamie and Bobby Deen. She has also published five cookbooks. Though married in 2004 to Michael Anthony Groover, she continues to use the surname Deen from her f