Start by marking “The Timekeeper’s Moon (Farwalker Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Timekeeper’s Moon (Farwalker Trilogy, #2)

The Timekeeper’s Moon

(The Farwalker Trilogy #2)

When Ariel Farwalker hears the moon talking to her, she thinks she must be going crazy. Then she discovers an ancient map, and learns that the moon is part of a mysterious summons that's calling her on a new journey.

With her surly guardian Scarl by her side, Ariel sets out on an adventure that leads her to new friends-the beautiful Flame-Mage Sienna and the mute boy Nace,
Published March 2nd 2010 by Bloomsbury

To ask other readers questions about The Timekeeper’s Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Timekeeper’s Moon

LOPzero
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love NACE!!!!
A.
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't resist giving this one a five. It had all the good qualities of the first book, and it was so deliciously well done.

My favorite part though was how it was an integral part of the story from the first book, without you ever realizing while reading the first book that anything was missing. You'll know what I mean if you read it, so go do that.

I'm in awe of the magic of it all, truly. And sincerely hoping that there is a third adventure waiting for us.
Robert Kent
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
From time to time, I will read a sequel to a book I haven’t read, which I did this week. I do this because the project I’m working on is a sequel and reading the sequels to books I haven’t read helps me to understand the fine art of exposition. Every sequel has to do a little “Previously on” summary of the first book in some way if the events of the second book are in anyway tied to the events of the first. For some reason, I find studying the techniques writers employ to accomplish this in diff ...more
Maggie
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
A continuation of the Farwalker’s Quest, The Timekeeper’s Moon continues the tale of Ariel and her talents as a Farwalker. With her guardian Scarl acting as her father, Ariel must embark on a journey that will be trying and dangerous in order to prevent a fearful fate from happening. Joni Sensel’s The Timekeeper’s Moon gripped me with it’s moving tale and unique talents.
Ariel is a girl who is only fourteen years of age. She has already endured many trials, but in this book, more trials are ye
Eva Mitnick
Jul 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
As with the first book, the emotions of each character are authentically and carefully described, and it is Ariel's reactions to the people around her - and their reactions to her - that form the heart of the tale. These aren't larger-than-life characters in an epic fantasy, but rather ordinary folks who are just trying to figure out how to muddle through life (while enduring a scary hissing moon, terrible nightmares, and strange visitations from the past).

Kudos also to the author for keeping a
Tessa Joy
Apr 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Ariel Farwalker finds an odd map inside the Vault. Soon after the map’s discovery, Ariel begins to hear the moon calling to with threatening messages. When the trees are asked what is wrong, they counsel her to leave Tree-Singer Abbey and find the person who sent the telling dart to her. Ariel and Scarl set out on their quest and two companions join their mission: Sienna Flame-Mage and Nace Kincaller. Each person in their company uses their skills to help Ariel reach her destination. Ariel finds ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Joan Stradling for TeensReadToo.com

The moon calls to Ariel Farwalker and urges her to embark on a quest.

Leaving her best friend, Zeke, behind, Ariel and her guardian journey to new friends and distant lands. Ariel hopes to find the sender of the telling darts, if she lives long enough.

I fell in love with this world and characters in THE FARWALKER'S QUEST. I thrilled at the prospect of reading the sequel, but I did have some nagging concerns. Because the first one blew me away, I fear
Missy
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved it.

This part sticks with me:
(Ariel talking to Scarl about the idea of losing him and others she loves)"How can you stand it?" she asked, not thinking of anyone in particular, just desperately needing the adult in her life to have an answer."
He rested his chin on her head. "You can't," he whispered into her hair. "You can't stand it, Ariel. You pretend, that's all."
"But why?"
"Because others are pretending, too, I suppose. You do it for them."
As she opened her mouth to question, he unsnarled
Aerin
I have had trouble deciding how to think of the Farwalker trilogy, but then I read a jacket quote from Karen Cushman. Sensel's writing has that same feel, of a protagonist struggling to grow up authentically. This book is far more obvious as dystopia than the first, which I considered almost pure fantasy.

My 4-star rating is merely a reflection of my own mindset. For the first time since I can remember, I am bored with the "will I kiss him" story line. I would TOTALLY recommend this to my middle
Cindy
Feb 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved Farwalker's Quest so my expectations for this book were really really high. I am very proud to say that this book is just as good if not better then FQ. There are new characters that are introduced which allow for a fresh voice to the story, yet the older characters are still there and growing which is great.

Another great thing about this book is that all the questions that came up in FQ are answered. The people's callings are explored further and readers get to learn more about what be
Rita Webb
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
So much to love about this book. The characters are rich and their relationships feel so real. Especially between Scarl & Ariel.

Ariel is a 14-year-old on a mission to save the world. She's the only farwalker left in the world, and her feet and the moon and her nightmares are calling her across the world to stop everything she accomplished last year from unraveling.

Scarl is Ariel's adopted father. She chose him, and he begrudgeonly fulfills the role. Yet he loves her like a real father would.
Connie
Aug 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Joni Sensel strikes again with a worthy sequel to The Farwalker's Quest. I absolutely love her characters and am so happy to have stumbled across this fantasy/sci fi series. Yes, series. I get the feeling that we'll see more of Arial Farwalker which pleases me greatly! (To show my devotion...I even put off starting Mockingjay until I'd finished this one.) One word of warning....Read The Farwalker's Quest first. Although,
Sensel does refer to events in the past book, they are so integral to the s
Beth O'Connell
Dec 21, 2010 rated it liked it
I received some advance readers copies (thank you Bookworm Central of Manassas, VA!) and pulled this out of the pile because I was in the middle of enjoying The Humming of Numbers. This one's a dystopian fantasy, like many books I've read in the past year, but it still stands out from the pack. At first the primitive society feels like the distant past, but clues like the Vault lead the reader to understand that it's actually the distant future. I was able to understand the story without having ...more
Kathryn Mueller
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In this sequel, Ariel discovers that there was something left undone on her previous journey. And, being a year later, if she doesn't finish it soon, everything that happened will become undone. Between the moon speaking to her and almost driving her loony, and a confusing map that they aren't even sure is a map, Ariel once again takes to the countryside following the direction her feet set...

For a more complete review along with a glimpse of book 1 (The Farwalker's Quest) see my blog: http://sk
Michelle
Jun 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
A great series to begin any young fantasy reader. Perfect for pre-teens.
This book was even better than the first. It seems like the series ends with this one but there might be a spin-off.
The story was creative and delightful. The characters were perfect. Story was well crafted and purposeful. The ending got a little philosophical and mushy but it didn't ruin it. The story does deal with death quite a bit but age appropriate.
I would highly recommend this series for anyone interested in J Fant
melissa1lbr
Feb 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Beautiful, well-written, old fashioned fantasy novel for kids. I love the details, the story, the characters, pretty much everything about Sensel's books. This one didn't quite grab me as much as The Farwalker's Quest, but I was still wrapped up in the loveliness of the details. Highly recommended for fantasy fans. Full review at One Librarian's Book Reviews.
Gloria Mccracken
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the second in a (so-far) wonderful trilogy featuring a young girl who is drawn to reconnect the isolated communities of her post-apocolyptic world. Don't start with this one; start with "The Farwalker's Quest". This one will make little sense to you otherwise. The writing is great; the characters are well-drawn and complex; the plot surprises with many unexpected events. Read it. (After you read the first one, of course).
Kirby
Mar 30, 2010 rated it liked it
I hate being the only non-fantasy fan in the entire world! I love Ariel Farwalker and her complex friend, Scarl (I like Zeke, too, but he's virtually absent in this book). I liked the story . . . but here is my bias. I think if Joni Sensel goes back to historical fiction, her next book will be a grand slam home run. She is an evocative, smart and funny writer but I was longing for a story like Ariel's to take place in the "real" world.

Laurie Thompson
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, even better than the first one in the series (Farwalker's Quest)! The character relationships were multi-faceted and realistic, which made them interesting and believable. I really got a great sense of setting throughout (love the swamp!). And the suspense and pacing were spot-on--I couldn't put it down!
Sue
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Mitch Albom and this book was no exception. I listened to it on CD and the narrator had a british accent so that added to the charm. Very interesting take on how we are obsessed with time and caught in the moment and forget to look at the big picture. It's very short and easy to read/listen to.(maybe too short??) Highly recommend.
Anastasia Bolinder
Sep 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: good-books
I loved the farwalkers quest and once again I thought this book was good as well but I have one problem with this book. There is a part in the book about PMS and I just don't think it needed to be in the book so that threw me a bit but other than that I enjoyed this book and still love the great characters that you fall in love with. all and all good read and great story. ^.^
Doris
May 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
The story itself was well written, with a good theme and basis, but I was disappointed in the reasoning that led to the finale.

I enjoyed that the moon talked to our heroine, but at the same time, felt that the trades were crossing over into something closer to a sort of sorcery.
Jenny Banker
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very imaginative book/series about how the human race seeks to recover its lost knowledge after an apocalypse-type war eradicates all of the learned human beings on earth. This book is a neat combination of left-over bits of technology and ancient knowledge about nature.
Carol Caldwell
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I jumped into the middle of a series, but the author handled that well. She added enough back story to fill in glaring gaps, but still left the hook to make me want to start with the first book. It's well written and entertaining.
Zoe
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you read the first one (Farwalker trilogy), you're going to read this one, just to find out what could possibly happen next! More than just an adventure, it's a coming of age story. Buy it to share with a daughter or granddaughter. Adventure, danger, and a girl coming into her own.
Angel
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
It's not bad, but it definitely doesn't compare to the first book. *internal sigh* Another case of sequel disappointment. The new characters don't have as much dynamic as the originals, and I find the addition of a love interest distracting. But some people might like it. Give it a try.
Lula McCuela
May 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
I wouldn't recommend that any girls read this book unless they are at least 12. I just didn't enjoy this book much, it might just be me, but I thought it was too bland.
Naomi
May 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Great follow up to the first book. Loved the time-shift element. Well done. Also the puzzle of the map symbols and the fail-safe concept. I can't wait for more from this writer.
Melissa
Mar 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
A very worthy sequel to Farwalker's Quest.... engrossing, suspenseful, and, in spite of a sort-of confusing ending, very satisfying.
Rebecca
Apr 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
While I didn't love this one as much as the first in the series, the fantasy and characters still pulled me in.

• The Celestial Globe (The Kronos Chronicles, #2)
  • Auriel Rising
  • Kid vs. Squid
  • The Pyramid of Souls (Magickeepers, #2)
  • The Prince of Fenway Park
  • The Changer’s Key (A Riddle in Ruby, #2)
  • The Inquisitor’s Apprentice (Inquisitor's Apprentice #1)
  • The Hunt for Zero Point: Inside the Classified World of Antigravity Technology
  • The Battle Of The Sun
  • The Society of Unrelenting Vigilance (Candle Man, #1)
  • The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle
  • Eighth-Grade Superzero
  • The Temple of Man: Apet of the South at Luxor
  • The Forbidden Universe: The Occult Origins of Science and the Search for the Mind of God
  • The Riddle of Prague (The QuickSilver Legacy Series) (Volume 1)
  • The Laura Line
  • Leaving the Bellweathers
  • The Iron Maiden (Dragonslayer, #2)

The Farwalker Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Farwalker’s Quest