Start by marking “Don't Make Me Go Back, Mommy: A Child's Book about Satanic Ritual Abuse (Hurts of Childhood Series)” as Want to Read:

3.11  ·  Rating details ·  61 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Five-year-old Allison is one of a group of children who are abused and subjected to horrible rituals at a perverse day care center, but with therapy and her parents' love she begins the healing process.
Published July 1st 1990 by Multnomah

To ask other readers questions about Don't Make Me Go Back, Mommy, please sign up.

Keith Beckman During the 1980s and 1990s, there was a moral panic in the United States, where pretty much everyone believed there were daycares performing Satanic…moreDuring the 1980s and 1990s, there was a moral panic in the United States, where pretty much everyone believed there were daycares performing Satanic ritual abuse (abbreviated "SRA"). This was encouraged by dishonest psychiatric personnel (and many untrained "demon experts") suggesting false memories to vulnerable children.

None of it ever happened, but it was believed-in enough by the general public that books like this became a "reasonable" thing to publish.(less)

Brian
Jun 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
apparently, satanic cults (cleverly disguised as day-care centers) will cause your child to no longer want to eat chicken. that's a damn shame.
Hester
Satanist used to be everywhere in the late 80's to mid 90's, and they all seemed to have worked in daycare. While mom and dad toiled away at their shitty desk jobs, their children were being horrifically and ritualistically abused, what doubly sucked for them is that they were paying those same sickos at least 30% of their paycheck just to watch their little brats. Seriously daycare is expensive, or so I hear, I don't really know since I don't have children.

Anyway Mom and Dad just finished a lon
Matty Joe
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. Not because the book is good, it's not. But rather it is amazing that this book even exists. It's like some crazy relic of the past. Though its rediculous title might lead you to think otherwise, this book was written and published in 100% seriousness, and as a children's book no less. Which is confusing in its own right because it seems more directed at adults. I fail to see how a child could grasp the subtext of such a topic given the way it is presented, and if they did ...more
Emma Sea
Mar 04, 2014 marked it as wtf
What. The Actual. Fuck.
Mandyhello
Oct 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
I'm kind of obsessed with this book right now. I did some research on Satanic Ritual Abuse and it's basically a moral panic that was at its height between 1980 and 1990. There's little proof that any of the allegations of Satanic cult abuse was actually true, and maybe that's why the book doesn't make any sense. I feel like the author read a half an article on Satanism and wrote the book.. black capes? Check! Pentagrams? Check! Black cats? Ohhhh yeah! The book makes no sense in such an uncomfort ...more
Carling13
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I rea dthis book in the late 1990s and it remains on my bookshelves.

It is Sanford's best; written at a time when the nation was willing to confront the reality of satanic ritual abuse and how the satanists were practising their rituals on children in daycare centres.

Unfortunately stupid prosecutors failed to follow-through with the arrests and initial convictions and daycare ritual abuse is still a problem.

An insight into how the satanist got away can be found in Dr. Roland Summit's 'The Dark T
Nikki Glassley
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I don't know whether to give this book zero stars or five stars. It's excellent- but only because it's so horrible.

Good ol' Doris was really a trendy writer of her time, jumping on the satanic ritual abuse scare of the 1980s. Unfortunately for Good Ol' Doris, this is a really poorly written book with awful illustrations. Even if satanic ritual abuse had happened in daycares across the country (spoiler: it did not), you'd be better off reading nothing at all than reading this book.

I can't help b
Denise
Mar 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Part of me wants to give this book five stars because it is so bad that it is incredibly entertaining. I lived through the 80s/90s scare but was too young to understand what people were going on about. Now, decades later, I look back with a "huh, glad this panic didn't lead to killing a bunch of women." I think it is the satanic ritual paranoia that fed some of the "repressed" memory craze.

Anyway, the artwork isn't half bad as far as delusion based illustration is concerned.
Joan
Jun 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
What the fk?? Spawned from the Satanic Panic era, when every daycare was rumored to be run by cultists straight out of Rosemary's Baby. Part of the Hurts of Childhood series. No. Just...no. Creepy parents and children, uber creepy storyline, preschool teachers who look like 90s versions of the Manson family (one teacher is pregnant, furthering the Rosemary's Baby theme). As I said: no...no...no.
Stephen Cranney
An Amazon review echoes my sentiments exactly:

"Satanic ritual abuse put hair on my chest and made me the stalwart bulwark of self-reliance and dark sexual potency that I am today. Today's generation is much too coddled. In my day, we'd bury ourselves in the midnight embrace of the Prince of Lies, and we liked it! This book is the perfect manual for explaining this."
Anna Kļaviņa
I don't know enough of the background story to rate this book.

Satanic/sadistic ritual abuse (SRA)

Vero
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book, before... i comment god.
Brenna Sydel
Sep 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
Easily the worst and most disturbing children's book 'writer' to have ever existed.
Craig Brown
Jun 18, 2013
Sue
Jul 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Amongst Ourselves: A Self-Help Guide to Living with Dissociative Identity Disorder
  • The C.I.A. Doctors: Human Rights Violations by American Psychiatrists
  • Secret Survivors
  • Suffer the Child
  • Outgrowing the Pain: A Book for and About Adults Abused As Children
  • My Father's House
  • Allies in Healing: When the Person You Love Is a Survivor of Child Sexual Abuse
  • The Magic Daughter: A Memoir of Living with Multiple Personality Disorder
  • Groomed: An Uncle Who Went Too Far, a Mother Who Didn't Care, a Little Girl Who Waited for Justice
  • Colleen Stan: The Simple Gifts of Life: Dubbed by the Media the Girl in the Box and the Sex Slave
  • The Betrayal Bond: Breaking Free of Exploitive Relationships
  • Twenty-Two Faces
  • A FRACTURED MIND: MY LIFE WITH MULTIPLE PERSONALITY DISORDER
  • Rabbit Hole: A Satanic Ritual Abuse Survivor's Story
  • Thou Shalt Not Be Aware : Society's Betrayal of the Child
  • How to Start Your Own Country
  • Addict
  • Wise Wives Don't Run: But Sometimes They Wanna!

Hurts of Childhood Series (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • It Must Hurt a Lot: A Book about Death and Learning and Growing (Hurts of Childhood Series)
  • I Can't Talk About It: A Child's Book About Sexual Abuse (Hurts of Childhood Series)
  • Something Must Be Wrong with Me: A Boy's Book about Sexual Abuse (Hurts of Childhood Series)
  • Don't Look at Me: A Child's Book about Feeling Different (Hurts of Childhood Series)
  • My Real Family: A Child's Book about Living in a Stepfamily (Hurts of Childhood Series)
  • Please Come Home: A Child's Book about Divorce (Hurts of Childhood Series)
  • I Can Say No: A Child's Book about Drug Abuse (Hurts of Childhood Series)
  • It Won't Last Forever: Living with a Depressed Parent (Hurts of Childhood Series)
  • I Know the World's Worst Secret: A Child's Book about Living with an Alcoholic Parent (Hurts of Childhood Series)
  • For Your Own Good: A Child's Book about Living in a Foster Home (Hurts of Childhood Series)