Start by marking “Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine

Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine

The perfect balance between the latest research and age-old wisdom
This completely revised and expanded second edition of the classic reference work arms you with the latest information on the extraordinary healing powers of natural medicine. Michael Murray and Joseph Pizzorno, two of the most trusted naturopathic doctors in the world, have teamed up once again to bring you
Paperback, Revised Second Edition, 960 pages
Published December 29th 1997 by Harmony (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine

Ginger
Feb 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in natural healing
The introductory chapters of this book make it worth the price. Additionally, I find it a very thorough diagnostic tool. However, there are differences in philosophy as to treatment. They advocate a lot of glandular extracts and supplements, which I don't agree. The body can heal itself with proper diet, including proper herbal foods. However, I agree with much more of this book than I disagree. Everyone interested in natural healing should read it.
Apr 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wanted a basic natural healing book to have in the house. I perused it last night and think it'll be a great reference. Though they recommend to eat leafy greens for most ailments. Guess I should just do that anyway.
Harold Cameron
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE AND PRACTICAL GUIDE AVAILABLE TO THE EXTRAORDINARY HEALING POWERS OF NATURAL MEDICINE

“From the world-renowned naturopathic doctors and bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods comes the authoritative third edition of the classic reference work, revised and expanded to include the latest cutting-edge natural therapies for the most common ailments. Michael Murray and Joseph Pizzorno focus on promoting health and treating disease with nontoxic, natural therap
Amy
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect reference book. Its very thorough, simple, scientific, interesting and covers nearly every disease and every natural cure. Each dx such as PMS has a description of causes, therapuetic cures, diet needs, other tx such as exercise, nutrient supplements and botanical medications. Its over 1, 000 pgs! Dr murray is the top resource on this subject. Dr pizzorno teaches at the first accredited natural medication school in the U.S.. A must have for every home
Tara
Jul 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
This book is wonderful! Because of it, I have learned how to treat many common ailments on my own. I haven't seen a doctor for anything other than a physical in about two years, and have become quite adept at reading and understanding my body's signals and learning what herbs/natural remedies to take when things do come up.
rita
Apr 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Everyone should have this book on thier shelves. Common ailments and what to eat/not to eat and what supplements/herbs to take.
Suzy
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you would like a natural reference book, as opposed to pharma options, this is a good one.
Stephanie
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my go to book for everything health related. Common sense with supporting science. I use it as a reference book.
Jenny
Jun 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Such a great reference! I'm reading it to figure out an approach to jump start a "healthy life plan".
Ronda  Tutt
Nov 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great book/information to have on your shelves especially if you have children who are allergic to many medicines.
MJ
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sticking the word "natural" before anything makes people want to believe in its wholesomeness and value.

Yet this book is a valuable resource for ailments that can be avoided using medicines you can grow or pick yourself. The effects of mustard and honey, for instance, have been known for a very long time.

In all, a good resource and it certainly knows its ailments.
Lavender
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, non-fiction, fall2017
I've had this on my shelf forever. It was given to me by a friend who was moving. Some of the information in it is now outdated (like nutrition recommendations from the 1980s), but a lot of it is still relevant. It's a good starting point to find out about some common ailments and more natural treatments. Additional info can be gotten from your doctor or more recent medical articles.
Carly
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great reference to have on hand for natural cures!
Mishele
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I would love to have this book on my home library shelf. I love the idea that illness isn't all about the pathogen, but about the terrain. I find holistic health to be very interesting and this had great insight and direction. It is an encyclopedia, so after the introduction to the principals of natural medicine in the beginning it is broken into chapters based on illnesses.
Zoe
Apr 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is information overload, on any number of illnesses or conditions or disorders. The boundaries between traditional clinical medicine and natural health blur in this well researched, well written text.
Felecia Whitaker
Joan
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of course, I did not read this encyclopedia from cover to cover. My rating reflects its usefulness to me in my research.
Evans Quaidoo
Apr 09, 2014 added it
Shelves: evans
ahh
Jenn
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A great book for the home library. Very diverse and easy to follow.
Celea
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read it when I need info from it.
Use this more as a reference book.
Marian
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well-written and accessible. Some of the science seems a bit outdated, but his take on natural medicine and why it's needed is not. A handy reference.
Akash Reza
  • Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine
  • A Modern Herbal, Vol. I
  • Prescription for Natural Cures
  • Rocket Mass Heaters: Superefficient Woodstoves You Can Build
  • The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies
  • Encyclopedia of Essential Oils: The complete guide to the use of aromatic oils in aromatherapy, herbalism, health and well-being
  • The Earthwise Herbal: A Complete Guide to Old World Medicinal Plants
  • Organic Body Care Recipes
  • Planetary Herbology
  • Culpeper's Complete Herbal
  • The Doctor's Book of Home Remedies: Thousands of Tips and Techniques Anyone Can Use to Heal Everyday Health Problems
  • Herbal Healing for Women
  • Advanced Aromatherapy: The Science of Essential Oil Therapy
  • The New Create an Oasis with Greywater: Choosing, Building, and Using Greywater Systems, Includes Branched Drains
  • Not Just a Pretty Face: The Ugly Side of the Beauty Industry
  • Back To Eden
  • Adaptogens: Herbs for Strength, Stamina, and Stress Relief
Dr. Murray is one of the world’s leading authorities on natural medicine. He has published over 30 books featuring natural approaches to health. His research into the health benefits of proper nutrition is the foundation for a best-selling line of dietary supplements from Natural Factors, where he is Director of Product Development. He is a graduate, former faculty member, and serves on the Board ...more