Start by marking “A Byte of Python” as Want to Read:
A Byte of Python

A Byte of Python

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  263 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
An introduction to Python programming for beginners.
Published (first published March 8th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Byte of Python, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Byte of Python

Mahmoud
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
A gentle introduction to Python, Strongly recommended!
Alamin Mahamud
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
good for programming in python.
Level: Beginner
Links: are awesome
used Python2 but you will easily be able to transform it into python3
Charlotte
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Programmers, People looking to learn Python
Shelves: programming
A good overview of Python for a more-or-less beginner.
Unfortunately I was told that the web version (http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/python/) would be Python 3 but it became apparent it was Python 2. Apparently the author had translated for P3 but decided it was too confusing and translated it back to P2. However, there are still some P3 elements (some print() statements) left in which may be confusing to the reader.

I learnt good things from this book. I would have liked more real life examples
Yuriy Mashtalir
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great introduction to Python. I'm not newbie into programming(Java and C/C++ experience for last 3 years), but it was very interesting for me. Some optional comments for programmers with experience brought more understanding into how Python works comparing with Java or C/C++. Fast reading, clear explanation, good examples - exactly what's needed for introduction into programming. From now on - this book will be my first answer to question "Which book I should start learning programming with?"
Senthil Kumaran
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was one the earliest python book I had read. It's written by a person known me (from Bangalore meetups, and falling into my age group). Presents the language in a easy to understand to manner, and I have recommended this book to every python beginner that I know.
Tarun Vangani
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very concise introduction. If you want a no nonsense quick intro to Python there is not better place to look. It is packed with a lot information and can be read in a couple of days. Highly recommended along with LPTHW for a Python beginner.
Michael Sazonov
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Хорошая вводная книжка.
Abhinav
Dec 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A really nice book. Recommended for anyone who wants to learn python. Swaroop keeps it simple. This book is not a definitive guide but it can get you interested in Python :)
Ravi Malik
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best introduction to Python book I ever encountered.
AbduLlah
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Неплохая книга для ознакомления, ничего не растянуто всё по сути, хоть и есть мелкие недочеты. Для быстрого старта то что надо
Amin Alaee
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
To anyone who wants to start learning Python programming language, this book can be a great starter. You’ll become familiar with the syntax of the language through examples and it doesn’t really matter if you’re new to programming or not, you can pick Python up in a couple of days. The material used in the book and the smooth pace of the book made me love Python. The language is both simple and powerful at the same time. It’s open-source and there are tons of frameworks and libraries available f ...more
Jose Manuel
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sin llegar a profundizar demasiado, permite una visión general de Python. Este libro junto con "Learning Python the Hard Way" son una buena introducción al lenguaje, aunque lo que este logra en mantener la regularidad, lo pierde en profundidad; justo al contrario que el "Learning Python The Hard Way", que es profundo pero en cuanto llega al capitulo de OOP pierde muchísimo.

Lo que más me gusta del libro de Swaroop es que es claramente un punto de partida que sugiere muchas otras lecturas en las r
عَبدُالكَرِيمْ
Quick and dirty introduction to Python.
you will be able to learn Python in few hours with this book, assuming you have basic programming background or coming from other languages (especially Java).

Careful, this is just a "Byte" of Python and not all the language.
Try to practice and write your own scripts and you will quickly adapt and write meaningful programs after a bit of digging deeper into Python.

-- AK
Siddharth Kulshrestha
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A gentle yet rigorous introduction to the Python programming language.A brilliant book and a must read for those interested in learning about Python.Python is a brilliant language for people who have never programmed before and has enough features for advanced programmers.This book is for Python 3.X+ versions.
Saeed Mohamadi
Apr 24, 2015 rated it liked it
it's a good start for beginners like me, but i like the method of books like LEARN THE PYTHON THE HARD WAY better but in general i would recommend this books to people.
Espartaco
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very good book for anyone who wants to learn Python (the language). The examples are concrete and the main line of knowledge rise on every chapter.

I'd recomend it.
Wudongnoodles
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book for Python newbies
Waffle's Crazy Peanut
Short & crisp introduction to Python. Perfect for newbies!
Burak Dede
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
just started reading it, want to read concise tutorial book other than reference ones it seems like a fit for me
Georgi
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book if you are like me - new to python. Your first python book and it is free.
Zuzana
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So useful if you're learning Python or you want to improve your knowledges about it. So recommendable :)
Ajitabh Pandey
A very good book on learning python programming language.

Covers all the basics of the version 3 of the python core language.
Eti Mishra
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A really good introduction to Python Programming Language.Now,Python is one of my favourite language, it is both Simple and Powerful language. :)

Recommended to everyone who want to learn Python.
Alberto
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Chapters 1-10 are an excellent introduction. The later chapters are pretty useless, like the author was just rushing to finish.
Amour
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
very very nice .very helpful to python rookie
Ji
Mar 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: technical
Very well written and covered quite some fundamentals of python. It's only recommended for those who have absolutely no knowledge of python though...
Renārs Grebežs
  • Python for Informatics: Exploring Information
  • Head First Python
  • Python in a Nutshell
  • Test-Driven Web Development with Python
  • Python Essential Reference (Developer's Library)
  • Python Pocket Reference
  • Practical Django Projects
  • Mining of Massive Datasets
  • Python for Unix and Linux System Administration
  • Programming in Python 3: A Complete Introduction to the Python Language
  • Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional
  • Algorithm Design

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »