Start by marking “Getting Bi: Voices of Bisexuals Around the World” as Want to Read:
Getting Bi: Voices of Bisexuals Around the World

Getting Bi: Voices of Bisexuals Around the World

Getting Bi: Voices of Bisexuals Around the World, Second Edition, edited by Robyn Ochs and Sarah Rowley, is the broadest single collection of bisexual literature available today. Getting Bi collects 220 essays from around the world that explore bisexual identity. Topics include coming out, relationships, politics, community, and more. The book also addresses the intersecti ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 273 pages
Published October 1st 2009 by Bisexual Rescoures Ctr (first published May 31st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Bi, please sign up.
Beth (fuelled by fiction) It's a harmful myth and stereotype. You don't owe anyone a response. If it's someone you love, point them toward some credible sources about biphobia…moreIt's a harmful myth and stereotype. You don't owe anyone a response. If it's someone you love, point them toward some credible sources about biphobia and bi-erasure. Books like this are a good place to start.(less)

Tobi
Jan 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The book came out in 2005, but I wrote my piece in it in 2003. As you can imagine, my thoughts on sexuality have shifted over the years. But I'm still happy that I got the chance to put forth questions of internalized biphobia, wanting to call myself queer instead of bi, and just not liking or fitting a sexual orientation binary.

The book itself has over 100 contributors from 32 different countries and deals with many many different perspectives and experiences of being bi.
Jan
Oct 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the first edition of this book (which I was not in), but (naturally) I enjoyed the second edition of it (which I am in) even more. I was particularly interested by the large number of new personal narratives from bisexual people in countries other than the U.S., Canada and Britain, where the majority of the original pieces came from. Most of these people aren't writers, but their stories are still illuminating. If you're bisexual, have a bisexual friend or family member you want to und ...more
Wonderful collection of short autobiographical essays on bisexual issues. It gives a wonderful worldwide perspective that challenges the predominant Western and American biases in our movement. Also comes with a wonderful resource guide.
Robyn Ochs
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I'm one of the two editors, and I'm still in love with this project.
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It was fascinating to read the different perspectives of bisexuals around the world. I would highly recommend it to anyone.
kris
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Definitely a book better suited for those unfamiliar with bisexuality than those who are. For those who are, there may be very little to find within its pages.
Anna
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: anthology, gay
The quality of the entries in this series varies greatly. There are some gems. I particularly enjoyed some of the pieces by authors from countries besides the US. But there's also a lot I didn't enjoy about this anthology:
- Poor editing in some of the pieces.
- Whining about "monosexism" and how the mean lesbians won't sleep with bisexual women. NO ONE IS OBLIGATED TO SLEEP WITH YOU.
- Too much sensitivity about language, like throwing a tantrum when someone sees a man and a woman making out and c
Haleigh
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqia
I really admire the editors' dedication to showcasing diverse voices in this anthology. They have collected essays from 42 countries, with contributors of different ages, religions, educational backgrounds (etc.), who come from all across the gender spectrum, and their stories reflect this huge variety of experience. Robyn Ochs and Sarah Rowley have created a sort of quilt that captures the immense diversity within the bisexual experience while also highlighting some of the common threads, like ...more
Shane
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: queerio, abandoned
This book involved a lot of different voices on various topics which is good in theory but in practice it was such small snippets of people’s experiences that they ended up being very similar. There was never enough meat to really connect with. Also it felt more like a book to explain bisexuality to people than a book for bisexuals.
Stefanie
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great place to start to learn about bisexuality - especially if you like to learn via people's personal stories and hear it told in their voices. There's also a great few essays and list of resources at the end, including a guide for parents of young people who come out as bisexual and a list of fiction with bisexual characters.

Granted, this book is a bit dated now (originally 2005; even the update is 2009) so lots has changed, at least within the US. At this point it's a window on a certain
Kati Giblin
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Inspiring! I used to be so ashamed of my sexuality, and still am at some level. However, the different essays in this book show the diversity in bisexuality, which was somehow more comforting than confusing. Instead of trying to hide my sexuality by saying "it's just this one part of me," I now realize that it inherently goes down to my bones. However, I have also come to realize that I can be held down by no stereotype whatsoever. I think those realizations were partially found through this boo ...more
Kate
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer, 2016
A great anthology of bi voices from around the world. I found some sections a little drier than others, and the downside to an anthology is that the writing pieces are all shorter than I traditionally like. On the flipside, this was a great book to read on my fifteen minute coffee breaks at work (which is why it took me almost two months to read it). Some entries had me nodding along with every word, but other entries had me angry, or going "what?! seriously?" But that is the varied scope of bis ...more
Z.
Jun 16, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was not a big fan of this book. It had some interesting personal accounts, reflections, essays, poems and stories from bisexuals. However, after the first few pages the redundancy was unbearable. There is definitely room for variety. Also, you could tell the author was struggling to get submissions. Some of the testimonials were only a few lines of stories already told.
What I did like about this book was that there were stories from bisexuals representing different countries around the world.
Highlyeccentric
as a book overall, I don't think the tiny-quotes-and-contributions format worked well; it read like a bizarrely large pamphlet. However, it was pretty nifty reading up on 90s bi... everything; slightly disappointing to think how little has changed; and the last few sections, on politics, were very interesting, especially when some of the authors had fine-tuned their ideas since 'Closer to home: Bisexuality and feminism'.
Debra

• Sexual Fluidity: Understanding Women's Love and Desire
  • Bad Dyke: Salacious Stories from a Queer Life
  • Transparent: Love, Family, and Living the T with Transgender Teenagers
  • Anything That Loves
  • The Bisexual's Guide to the Universe: Quips, Tips, and Lists for Those Who Go Both Ways
  • Breeder: Real-Life Stories from the New Generation of Mothers
  • Asexualities: Feminist and Queer Perspectives
  • The Remedy: Queer and Trans Voices on Health and Health Care
  • Beyond (Straight and Gay) Marriage: Valuing All Families under the Law
  • For Colored Boys Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Still Not Enough: Coming of Age, Coming Out, and Coming Home
  • Dear John, I Love Jane: Women Write About Leaving Men for Women
“It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not.” 4 likes
“Everyone knew that girls who admitted to liking girls stopped being whatever they were before and became a cross between a lumberjack and a punk-goth-anarchist.
- Adena Galinksy, USA (p. 38)”
4 likes