Start by marking “The Easy Way to Stop Drinking” as Want to Read:
The Easy Way to Stop Drinking

The Easy Way to Stop Drinking

Carr offers a startling new view of why we drink and how we can escape the addiction. Step by step, with devastating clarity and simplicity, he applies the Easyway method, dispelling all the illusions that surround the subject of drinking and that can make it almost impossible to imagine a life without alcohol. Only when we step away from all these supposed pleasures and ...more
Published December 25th 2005 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about The Easy Way to Stop Drinking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Easy Way to Stop Drinking

Start your review of The Easy Way to Stop Drinking
Markus
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Knew I had quit the days before picking it up, now I am an ex-alcoholic. Freedom at last.
Derek Smith
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
I first came across this book on Amazon when I was looking for books to assist a relative to give up alcohol. It had rave reviews. And few detractors. Well I am afraid I am one. The book is very repetitious and rambling. It has shouting words and phrases in capital letters which made me feel he was bonking me on the head with a mallet. And so preachy a style; everyone it seems is wrong except the author. Quite a few times Allen Carr says you don't need willpower to give up alcohol - but never ...more
Emily
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
A lot more compelling than I expected. It was obvious from the start that I wasn't the target audience, so I can't say how well the method works for someone trying to quit alcohol (at times I didn't feel like I would have been convinced), but the Amazon testimonials had me intrigued.

Carr's writing style is very didactic, but his method is straightforward and he seems to me to take a much more reasonable approach to addiction and substance abuse than most. Though I don't know much about AA, it
C
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Well, we will see, I suppose.

Years ago, I read the Easy Way to Stop Smoking and, magically, it worked. Immediately and absolutely. Haven't had a cigarette since.

So I figured... Why not?

It took me a lot longer to read this one as I didn't really want to finish it - guess I thought on some level that it was working.

The problem is, I just didn't find it as convincing as the smoking book. Maybe that problem is me as, apparently, I am a very different drinker than Mr. Carr was.

Still, there were
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am very impressed with the easyway method. It has been very helpful to me this year when I made a resolution to quit drinking and smoking. I would suggest the most important thing is to have an open mind when reading this book. If you truly want to improve your life and health follow the instructions and it will be easy.
Nancy Dardarian
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I started reading this book after I had already stopped drinking, having decided to take a break for a month. Now, after reading it I'm not sure I'll start back up again. The book was a bit of an odd read but it makes a lot of sense and sure helped me cement my position... he also wrote a stop smoking book that gets excellent reviews.
Lori
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
The content was excellent but sometimes the writing style bugged me. The questions, the all caps, etc. could get to be a bit much. That being said, loads of really good, thought-provoking information. And a whole new perspective on drinking & how/why to stop.
Mike
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Repetitive, basic, and not written very well. Probably won't help someone in need but who knows, his book on smoking is pretty highly regarded and this is essentially the same thing, only for drinking. It's heart is in the right place, but it's a pass.
Deana Young
Mar 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
Great book to help people who want to stop drinking.
Dan Lurie
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Could definitely have been half the length and equally persuasive. Glad I read it. We'll see if it works for me.
Chuck Denison
Aug 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Trite
Lily
Jun 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I have ever read on drinking. Do not let the name make you think it is not an important book. It is a life changer.
Gr777
Aug 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Very Buddhist
Saunoa I
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This works for me!

Quitting drinking alcohol without will power was key for me. I've tried to quit/cut back drinking many times before but always felt deprived of good times. This book helps you change your mindset to realize you aren't missing out and are gaining health, money and are no longer in a trap. Thank you!
Michael Castile
Apr 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
I found this book a drag. Too long and drawn out. Not clear, nor concise. I could only manage to read the first few pages, before I felt like having a drink out of frustration. It was like wading through a very dense forest, and not getting anywhere.
Their are many other books, on this subject, that are way more helpful.
Brian Merryman
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good book. Reframing alcohol as a poison essentially. I agree with most of his points and generally see alcohol as a scourge for me personally. It's highly addictive nature snuck up on me. I am implementing his strategies now. It has also inspired me to find similar books, like The Naked Mind
John
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is not particularly well written, but I did not read it for its literary prose. However, it is extraordinarily helpful.
Brendan Egan
Yeah, I drink too much and read self-help books. Don't judge me.
Austin  Hill
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I haven’t drank in over two and a half. Didn’t have a major negative event but just came across it on amazon one day. I’ve never done AA, or anything like it besides reading this book. It is an objective look at alcohol that has stuck with me. Worth a read to anyone on the fence, or that has woken up hungover a few too many times. I’ve never regretted not drinking.
liana terry
Kimberly Fournier
Oct 24, 2019
E.P.
Sep 08, 2018

• This Naked Mind: Control Alcohol: Find Freedom, Discover Happiness & Change Your Life
  • Kick the Drink....Easily!
  • The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober
  • The Sober Diaries: How one woman stopped drinking and started living
  • Unwasted: My Lush Sobriety
  • The Alcohol Experiment: A 30-Day, Alcohol-Free Challenge to Interrupt Your Habits and Help You Take Control
  • The Caped Crusade: Batman and the Rise of Nerd Culture
  • Hardcore Zen: Punk Rock, Monster Movies and the Truth about Reality
  • Peek-a-Boo
  • 500 Greatest-Ever Vegetarian Recipes: A Cook's Guide to the Sensational World of Vegetarian Cooking
  • Each Peach Pear Plum
  • Good Food: Veggie dishes
  • Kipper
  • Zog
  • Where's Spot?
  • Hairy Maclary's Showbusiness
  • Scarface Claw, Hold Tight
  • Room on the Broom
Allen Carr was an author of books about quitting smoking and other psychological dependencies including alcohol addiction. He quit smoking after 33 years as a hundred-a-day chain smoker.