Start by marking “Fidel e Che - Uma amizade revolucionária ” as Want to Read:
Fidel e Che - Uma amizade revolucionária

Fidel e Che - Uma amizade revolucionária

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  405 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
A história de uma amizade cujos segredos guardam a chave para se compreender alguns dos acontecimentos mais significativos do século XX.
O livro segue Fidel e Che desde a sua dramática jornada política no México, à guerra nas montanhas cubanas, até ao ponto alto da Guerra Fria. O autor baseia-se em pesquisas de arquivos em Havana, Washington, Moscovo, Miami, Princeton, Bost
Published February 2009 by Casa das Letras (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Fidel e Che - Uma amizade revolucionária, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fidel e Che - Uma amizade revolucionária

Jul 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
A biography of the friendship from two very different revolutionaries from very different backgrounds. Ultimately, modestly successful on their own in their respective fields, to use a socialist phrase to describe their relationship, it is when they are both united that they become better than the sum of its parts.

A great book if you want to find out about the friendship, values and views on what the plans were for continent-wide revolution that sadly never came to fruition after Che left Fidel'
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it is the story of a remarkable friendship between to iconic figures while both in exile in Mexico City. Guevara, the Argentine doctor had reached the end of his travels on his motorcycle had had begun many years before. Castro the peasant's son, scholar & rebel had just fled Cuba fearing for his life. until Guevara's death in 1967 their journey together was as interesting, exciting & sometimes as dangerous as their friendship....
This is a superb double-biography of both Che and Fidel which breaks new ground in having their
friendship as its central theme and focus; especially the revelations that, unlike what was previously thought, the decision for Che to leave Cuba was fully backed by Fidel and the latter was intimately involved in Che's guerilla tactics in the Congo and then in Bolivia. It was a part of the two friends' strategy of internationalising their revolution without antagonising the USSR upon whose economic s
Mar 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! Admittedly, I have a morbid fascination with Fidel Castro. Before starting this book however, I was not deeply familiar with Che Guevara. As a historical book, this was a page turner. Mr. Read-Henry does an outstanding job of painting the picture of how these men were shaped by the events of their early life and how their friendship was then borne out of mutual respect and benefit. I would recommend this highly to anyone interested in either of these individuals, in the history of the C ...more
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It has to be the best book I've read on South America, Cuban Revolution, Fidel Castro, Camilo and Che Guevara by million miles. As I was flipping the pages of this book, a fear tended to grow inside me thinking will I get to read a better book than this? Absolutely one of my favourite book.
Viva Che
Viva Fidel.
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew a little about these 2 historical figures but this book simply blew me away! I thought it was fantasticly written by an author who has definitely gone above and beyond in his research.

It had me hooked from the start and I found it very difficult to put it down. For someone like myself who knows a little about Che, Fidel and the Cold War, but really would like to know more without been overloaded then this is the perfect book.

Also it is important to know that the book mainly revolves aro
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deeply moving, beautiful and desperately important.

"Patria o Muerte!" ... and I thoroughly agree.
Paul Kearney
Individually both partook in the solemnity of vivacious reading. In Class both were top of educationally, middle of socially. Strategy and ideology formed in adolescence, Willing to take up arms and make the ultimate sacrifice for a cause.
While Fidel enjoyed the limelight of leader, Che the rigid discipline of ideological rebellion. Daring in battle both were lucky gamblers fighting against the odds.
While Fidel understood warfare was just one weapon in the arsenal of rebellion. Che strove for
May 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: americana, capitalism
A very thorough history of Fidel and Che's time working together. Although the title concerns friendship, I'm not entirely sure the dynamic of their relationship is exemplified enough through all the historical detail. The author has obviously done extensive research and has articulated the key points of their history together, gives a few cues here and there, but does leave some of it up to the reader to figure out on their own. Plus, since one guy's long dead and the other not really accessibl ...more
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biografier
Den kubanska revolutionen inleddes med att Fidel Castro, Che Guevara och 80 ytterligare revolutionärer landsteg på Kuba den 2 december 1956. Tre dagar senare överfölls de av den kubanska armen som dödade över 60 av dem. Drygt tre år senare marscherade Castro och Che in som segrare i Havanna. Vilken jävla historia.

Som titeln antyder ligger fokus i boken på Castros och Ches relation, vilket jag tycker var ett lyckat grepp. En annan sak jag gillade var att boken skingrade den revolutionära, mytiska
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book couldn't make up its mind whether it was for the general, interested reader or an academic audience. I guess that wasn't too bad for me, as I have a 'history' background but don't know an awful lot about this subject. However, I didn't like the fact that the end notes weren't numbered in the text; I like to find out where ideas have come from. Anyway, it is an interesting approach as its a biography of a friendship rather than of the individuals. It does start with Fidel and Che's back ...more
Neil Novesky
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly readable and intriguing. It is too bad more outside of Cuba don't know much about it but for the embargo. It is shameful that a country with a higher literacy rate than we have is so little understood. Reading this will take away some of the ignorance about Cuba and its dramatic history. This well written book elaborates on one of the greatest, and least known, collaborations in modern times. Highly recommended.
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent introduction and history into the early years of Che, Fidel and Cuba from the early fifties to Che's death in 1967, very easy to read and well paced, looks at the political machinations going on in the background as well as Che and Fidel's personalities and how they worked off each other as well as ultimately changing each other. All against the background of the Cold War and U.S. Soviet tensions it's a fascinating and worthwhile read.
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Latin American history and politics, so I was really excited to read this. Fidel Castro and Che Guevara have loomed in international affairs for decades, and in the case of Che, long after his death. And while many people know how ruthless both men were when they came into power, this book showed their path to that point and really humanized them in a way.
Oct 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great insight into one of the most famous partnerships of the 20th Century. The book gets to grips with what shaped them to become the men they did and how their differences actually worked to strengthen their friendship. Very good read, would highly recommend for anyone like me who never really knew quite what Che Guevera was all about.
Mohamed Ismail
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read completely without reading other books in between and especially in English. Best book to read. After I read this book, I started knowing more about Fidel than Che. I loved both of them.
Bruce R. Arnold
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worthwhile Rwading

Not as good as Jon Anderson's biography, but not really meant to be. This book focuses more on the interaction between Che and Fidel, and less on the historical context. Very much worth the time, just not an in-depth study.
Abraham Lee
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a unique biography of a truly unique partnership and personal friendship. Insightful and engaging, this book clears up the myths and misunderstandings that shroud the two revolutionaries' lives and consolidates greater respect both men and their friendship deserve.
Feb 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simon Reid-Henry has compiled a thoroughly readable book that covers the entirety of the relationship between Che and Fidel. The reader is given an insight into the dramatic lives that these two men lived separately and together. It is worth reading for this reason alone.
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good solid biography of these two iconic revolutionaries. But not a lot of new ground covered here.
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing new or startling. Obviously timed to cash in on 50th anniverary of revolution ... and misled romantics. Viva Fidel. Too bad Che messed everything up for you and Cuba.
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book - mostly from the fact that it reads so well instead of falling into the trap of making history boring with poor writing. The flow of the book makes it all feel exciting and current.
Ali Shahbaz
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The anatomy of cuban revolution can not be understood better than this book, because it describes the personality to a leader and a legend in the most pragmatic way. This is a beautiful book indeed.
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
Absolutely fascinating read, definitely recommended regardless of your political leanings.
Jan 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not much new under the sun here (save for Reid-Henry's analysis of the infamous meeting between Fidel and Che at the airport), but it was good to get a refresher nonetheless.
Josh Williams
  • Hugo!: The Hugo Chavez Story from Mud Hut to Perpetual Revolution
  • The Savage City: Race, Murder, and a Generation on the Edge
  • Out of Mao's Shadow: The Struggle for the Soul of a New China
  • Adiós muchachos
  • A History of the World Since 9/11: Disaster, Deception, and Destruction in the War on Terror
  • Ambling Into History: The Unlikely Odyssey of George W. Bush
  • O: The Intimate History of the Orgasm
  • The Monster: How a Gang of Predatory Lenders and Wall Street Bankers Fleeced America--and Spawned a Global Crisis
  • Berlin, Vol. 2: City of Smoke
  • Space Race: The Epic Battle Between America and the Soviet Union for Dominion of Space

Nonfiction Deals