Start by marking “The Evil Within (Possessions, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Evil Within (Possessions, #2)

The Evil Within

(Possessions #2)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  607 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
WARNING: SOMETIMES EVIL IS CLOSER THAN IT APPEARS.

possessions: me
-one full-blown obsession with floppy-haired, gorgeous, perfect Troy (still).
-nightmares, endless, terrifying nightmares, oh god someone help me.

possessions: them
-everything I've ever wanted.
-killer instincts.

Lindsay thought she left Marlwood Academy behind for good. The girls there aren't just mean, they're
Published June 10th 2010 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about The Evil Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Evil Within

Erin
May 26, 2017 marked it as put-on-hold
Yeah I didn't realize this was a second book so I have not read the first one yet so I'm currently waiting to get a hold of the first one through my library
Cynthia (A Blog about Nothing)
Jun 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
The Evil Within starts off right where Possessions ended. Lindsay is back at home for the Holidays and is hoping of never going back to Marlwood. She soon realizes that the spirit of Celia is still inside her and the only way she can think of getting rid of her is by going back to the school.

The Evil Within had me hooked from the very beginning, I couldn't put it down and I found myself with goosebumps several times. Nancy Holder did a great job in describing all the little details and made it s
Liv (Оља)
Aug 07, 2014 rated it liked it
While reading this I was constantly thinking about what rating I will give it on goodreads. It started with four, went to three, and I even thought of giving it five stars because of the ending.
The ending. OH MY GOD, THE ENDING. Not all of it, but THE ENDING. AAAAAAAAAAAAH
I was just left with my jaw on the ground, staring into a wall and just thinking how blind I was for something that obvious. Nancy Holder impressed me with this one. Really.
Was I really so blind? I honestly hope that I wasn't
Jasmina Vulovic
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OHH MY GOD I NEED THE THIRD BOOK 😱😱😱
Arya
Apr 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Evil Within A Possessions Novel by Nancy Holder 5 of 5 stars.
To be released June 10, 2010

When Lindsay returns to eerie Marlwood Academy she is haunted by the past, literally. The ghosts of those done wrong in the time when Marlwood was a reformatory for willful girls are breathing down her neck. Those that are very real to her seem just as malevolent as the spirits who haunt them, but when Celia, the girl now possessing Lindsay, tells her what she must do to extricate herself and the others
Kate
Jun 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010

The Evil Within follows Lindsay once again as she returns to the dreaded Marlwood Academy. Since I had recently finished the first novel in this series, I found it really easy to get back into the flow of Holder's writing. Holder provides a minimal amount of back story, which I found to be refreshing. Personally, I want a little bit of a refresher course when starting a new novel in a series, but do not like to be bogged down by countless amounts of the previous story being retold. And this is e
Monster
The Evil Within is the second book in the Possessions series, of which I have not read the first; however, after completing this one, I’ll be picking up the first book and all that follow it. Nancy Holder has created an incredibly spooky tale full of scorned lovers, murders, attempted murders, ghosts, and of course, possessions. Holder writes a vividly terrifying tale that overflows with ancient superstitions and mythologies that span the globe.

After a brief holiday break, Lindsay has reluctant
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Kira M for TeensReadToo.com

After defeating the evil at Marlwood Academy, Lindsey finds herself the victim of an unwanted possession by one of the school's ghosts.

Forced to head back to the school to which she swore she'd never return, Lindsey will fight for her life and her sanity. To be victorious, she will need to discover deep, hidden secrets within the school that many want to keep buried - including the evil within.

Can Lindsey save her school, the students, and most of all herse
Cindy
Jul 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.
i actually thought this was the
first book in the series and altho i found
out by chapter 2 that it wasn't, i was already
hooked. intense, scary and sexy, i really
enjoyed this novel and cannot wait for the
next installment. they say the second novel
in a series is always "slumpy", not so with this
one. and i was not lost starting here wo reading
the first.
Andrea
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
great book! i couldnt stop reading!
well developed characters!
good plot and story!
recommended to everyone
Gatu Cha
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Evil Within written by Nancy Holder is the sequel to Possessions. Lindsay Cavenaugh is the main character. Although I have not read the first book, the Evil Within starts off introducing possessed Lindsay. At the beginning of the book, Lindsay talks about why she left to Marlwood Academy, a private boarding school. She was not at Marlwood Academy but the things she did and she saw reminded her of the things that happened back at Marlwood. She began seeing spirits and she was getting haunted ...more
Candice Azalea Greene
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I went into this book not knowing it was the second in a series, but I had no problem staying up-to-date with the current--and past--events. The author expertly weaves the back story throughout the entire book so I never felt like I was missing something. However, I would like to go back and read the first one because it sounds so interesting. The pacing was great, the characters were believable, the world was intriguing. I found it strange how obsessed with people's clothing the narrator was. E ...more
CJ
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
scary good!
Judy
May 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, read-in-2012, ya
This was both terrible and wonderful all at the same time. I could not put it down.

I am truly sick of Lindsay in this book. In the last book it felt like she was in the process of growing up, of dealing with mother's death, of standing up for herself against mean girls and getting over the trauma of her experience with Jane/Riley. She was a character I liked and someone who was rational and protective of her friends.

In this book, all of that deteriorated. As Celia's grip on Lindsay tightened,
Brittany
Caroline
Sep 17, 2011 rated it liked it
I read the first book a little less than two years ago, but I love it and I couldn't wait to read book two. The first book was the perfect read for Halloween. It was super creepy, it was set in a boarding school, which is something I love, and it had that eerie fall setting that I found to be perfect. However, it's sequel did not exactly have that creep factor that I loved about book one.

Lindsay is much more reluctant to dig into Marlwood's history and go gallivanting about it's abandoned buildi
Natalie
Oct 12, 2009 rated it liked it
The Evil Within started where Book 1, Possessions, left off. For those of you who've read Possessions, you'll know what I'm talking about when I say that Book 1 ended with one heck of a cliffhanger. As such, I had a lot of unanswered questions. Because of this (and because The Evil Within was the second book in the series), I was able to get into the plot rather quickly, which resolved one of the problems I had with Possessions.

The only issue I could really mention is that I wanted the minor cha
CrystalBookSnob
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, horror, reviewd
I decided to write a mini review of The Evil Within for multiple reasons. 1. Everything that I said about Possessions (the first book in the series), I'm saying about it's sequel. Super scary, amazing, and it was almost impossible for me to sleep at night! If you haven't read my review of Possessions, you can find it here. 2. I can't really say much else without giving away spoilers and I hate to give spoilers. When I read spoilers on other blogs, it deters me from reading the book. 3. If you're ...more
Jodie
Dec 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
If you want a great ghost story, look no further! Nancy Holder has written a nightmare of a tale! Full of hauntings and mystery, you won't know what's coming next, or who to believe.

Second in the series, coming back from Christmas break and picking up where Possessions left off, Lindsay can tell as soon as she walks back into the doors of Marlwood that nobody expected her to show her face there again. Even though she didn't have all the money and material things the other girls did, Lindsay did
Alexis
Oct 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Scary, Great, Addictive!

A greatly paced read, i would recommend this along with the first novel, Possessions. Definitely Worth a look, the description doesn't do the story justice.

The author Nancy Holder has a genuine gift for writing style and pacing. Holder's writing style is simple yet very affective which is rather hard to pull off. It takes a good deal of effort to write in that style, if done wrong it can come across rather messy and lazy.
But you can clearly see she has done wright and h
CatcherR
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Gmr
Jun 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young adult and paranormal fans
Recommended to Gmr by: author
Lindsay has finally gotten away from all the crazy that was Marlwood and it's school for girls. It's summer break! No more teachers, no more books, no more ghosties dirty looks....oh, wait a second. Nope that last one is still lingering. It seems that this summer, Lindsay is not making a clean break from all that has been, nor will she escape it for the immediate future. She still carries the ghost of a former patient by the name of Celia and she has unfinished business that requires Lindsay's i ...more
Brandi Pitts
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
summary

After Lindsay left Marlwood Academy she thought she could leave it in the past. Yet Marlwood Academy has a horrific history and contains many secrets. The girls at Marlwood are possesed by other Marlwood Academy girls from the past that have unfinished buisness. Lindsay finding out that she is indeed possessed too must return to Marlwood Academy and find how to free herself and the other girls before its too late.

Reactions

Overall I thought that The Evil Within by Nancy Holder was a very
Kristina
Sep 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
The Cliches Evil Within was even worse than Possessions.

I have never read a sequel being so SAME(?) as the first book. Only little details are changed. We have Lindsay not wanting to come back to Marlwood Academy, drooling over Troy, lots of cliched spirit stuff, Mandy being a Mean Girl, lots of parties in the freakiest of places, Lindsay having nightmares, Lindsay running to the lake, Lindsay spending evenings in the old library, Lindsay having a run in with opposing spirits in the end of the b
Skyla
May 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I'd been enjoying the book just as much as the first (though I wanted to bitchslap the odd person the odd time, but such is the case with teen characters--even ones I've written--and I don't hold their choices against them too much 'cause they're kids). Another solid four star read...then a slam-bam ending that bumped it up to 4.5 or 5. Totally adored the final chapters, which had plot/character stuff that hit all the right notes with me.

And while it likely makes me a bad, bad person...I really
Christine
Jul 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Again - good at keeping interest, not so good at making the characters believable.
I did find Lindsay's spiral into insanity a lot more believable, but as soon as (view spoiler)
Jan 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Good brain-candy.

I think this second volume in the Possessions series is actually better than the first - the ending was pretty creative, and it gave you a lot more history about the boarding school than the first did.

Boarding school, dark secrets, ghosts, and, of course, death!!! Yes, it all makes for a good, trashy read.

If you enjoyed Pretty Little Liars, this makes a decent follow-up - rich kids doing bad things, haunting secrets, and a mystery. Not bad.

I'll definitely be reading the next in
Shannon
Didn't like this one as much as the first. How someone freshly off a breakdown could survive the wacked out world she was inhabiting on NO sleep and be any sort of functional blows my mind. It seemed she spent a lot of time crying and screaming and acting screwy, but she still seemed to attract friends and boys. Don't get it.
I did enjoy the haunting factor, and the suspense and mystery was intriguing.
Rena
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jan
Lindsay had hoped to never see Marlwood Academy again. But she is possessed by the spirit of a girl who died there and she must return to settle the unfinished business. This second book is just as creepy as the first. There is a nice mystery and the usual teenage angst amplified by the constant sense of not knowing who she can trust, even her boyfriend. There is a lovely twist at the end. Can't wait to see what happens.
  • Spirits of the Noh (The Waking, #2)
  • Nearly Departed (Weirdsville, #1)
  • Chain Letter: Two Books in One (Chain Letter, #1-2)
  • Freaksville (Freaksville, #1)
  • I'm Big!
  • Paisley Hanover Kisses and Tells
  • Mean Spirits / Young Blood (The Mediator, #3-4)
  • The Doomsday Box (Shadow Project, #2)
  • Now You See Me (Gifted, #5)
  • Rescue Bunnies
  • Where Is Tippy Toes?
  • Lucianna (The Silk Merchant's Daughters, #3)
  • Hell Week (Maggie Quinn: Girl Vs. Evil #2)
  • Lemniscate (Angel Star, #2)
  • Possessed (Rayne, #1)
  • Scaredy-Cat, Splat!
  • Dotty
  • Everything Lovely, Effortless, Safe
Nancy Holder, New York Times Bestselling author of the WICKED Series, has just published CRUSADE - the first book in a new vampire series cowritten with Debbie Viguie. The last book her her Possession series is set to release in March 2011.

Nancy was born in Los Altos, California, and her family settled for a time in Walnut Creek. Her father, who taught at Stanford, joined the navy and the family t

Possessions (3 books)
  • Possessions (Possessions, #1)
  • The Screaming Season (Possessions, #3)