Start by marking “Broke Is Beautiful: Living and Loving the Cash-Strapped Life” as Want to Read:
Broke Is Beautiful: Living and Loving the Cash-Strapped Life

Broke Is Beautiful: Living and Loving the Cash-Strapped Life

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The economic downturn has forced nearly everyone into a life of limited means, but author Laura Lee was broke before it was cool. She won't tell anyone to clip coupons or forego their morning latte—in fact, she won't give any guidance on how to be saved from a dark financial destiny. Instead she provides readers with a psychological how-to full of fun tidbits. Broke is Bea ...more
Published April 13th 2010 by Running Press (first published October 13th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Broke Is Beautiful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broke Is Beautiful

Jody
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: grownups
I want to give it 2.5 stars. I just can't justify giving it 3.

This isn't a book with concrete tips on how to be frugal, but more a feel-good kind of scattered collection of essays about being broke. Or, realizing that you're not so broke. Or, redefining what broke means. It kind of meanders. It raises some points that are worth thinking about and might make you feel a little more grateful for your Top Ramen, but it's going to flit from one topic to another without really settling on a theme or d
Jeff
Apr 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
The title makes it sound like a self-help book or guide to readjusting your financial priorities, but "Broke Is Beautiful" is more -- it's an examination of the idea that, in Lee's words, not having money is more normal than being wealthy. I don't know how to describe it any better than that, but I will say that 50 pages in, I wanted to buy a copy for everyone I know -- and at under $10, I just might end up doing that.
Jasmine
Dec 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I waited for this for a while on the library wait list with great anticipation because of all the good reviews it has received. I was disappointed. This book wasn't coherent at all and just seemed to be all over the place to me. It offered very few new thoughts for those of us that are frugal already.

Had great potential but fizzled. Too bad.
Crystal
May 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Laura does a great job of delivering serious information with a humorous touch. Food for thought served with laughter.
Tracy
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I didn't need another list of the same old tips so I really enjoyed this book. It gave me things to ponder and more than one chuckle.
Sorina
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Some good ideas, and talked a lot about changing your perspective to minimize material wants.
Linda Robinson
Jun 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
A breezy, charming book that occasionally reaches too hard for cute. It's too long for the subject - once we know that being broke is something to accept and then get over, we need to move along. I would have liked Old Is Beautiful, Depressed Is Beautiful: a little diversity would have spiced up the midrange to the end.
Cindy
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a light, easy to read book that refers to moments in history when the weather had a significant impact on how events turned out. The writing is straight forward and to the point and the information is interesting. I thought the stories were told a bit to simply and that with no connections it felt disjointed.
Debby
May 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book for those facing some downsizing in the current economy, although she didn't convince me that "flat broke" could be beautiful. There are good tips here for adjusting both budget and attitude. Sometimes "simpler" does have a silver lining.
Kimberly
Apr 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I have never felt so beautiful in my life! With chapters like, "If you like it should you really put a ring on it?", how could it be anything but a fun read. Laura Lee has written a phenomenal book about the cash-strapped life and given me mucho information about thrifts history.
Sep 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: can-t-finish
I found the book amusing at the beginning but by the end was tired of her antidotes. I gave up around the chapter on dumpster diving.
Michelle Burns
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not impressed, not enough real world advice to help a fellow "broker". My time is better spent trying to earn or save money, not read someone else ramblings about the reasons they don't have any.
May 03, 2011
Jan 04, 2013
Asha
rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2013
Laura Lee is the author of 20 books. She is best known for humorous reference such as The Pocket Encyclopedia of Aggravation, The Elvis Impersonation Kit, Blame it on the Rain, Broke is Beautiful, 100 Most Dangerous Things in Everyday Life and What You Can Do About Them, Don't Screw It Up!, Savior Faire and the forthcoming Around the World in 80 Cliches.

The San Francisco Chronicle has said of her