Start by marking “Don't Panic: Douglas Adams & The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy” as Want to Read:
Don't Panic: Douglas Adams & The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Don't Panic: Douglas Adams & The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  19,626 Ratings  ·  176 Reviews
"It's all devastatingly true — except the bits that are lies..." — Douglas Adams

NOW COMPLETELY UPDATED

Don't Panic celebrates the life and work of an ape-descended human named Douglas Adams who, in a field in Innsbruck in 1971, had an idea - an idea that became The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Acclaimed author Neil Gaiman covers all of Adams' work, including Doctor Who
Paperback, new and updated edition, 275 pages
Published September 15th 2009 by Titan Books (first published 1987)

Cathy
Feb 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable for Douglas Adams fans. A bit dated at this point (written in '88) but the history on Adams' life and works is still relevant. Plus having one of my faves write about another is just too fun. I miss Douglas, his death in 2001 at age 49 was just a huge loss.
Ashley
Full disclosure on this one: my library system did not have this book so I had to inter-library loan it, and the copy they came up with for me is a first edition. They've since published an updated version of the book, re-titled Don't Panic: Douglas Adams & The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which was published about four years after Adams's death in 2001. It probably has all sorts of extra chapters about the seventeen years of Adams' writing and fan activity since 1988, and of course, hi ...more
Andrew
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
first off it is misleading to say this is a guide to Hitchhikers Guide... it is a lot more. It is part celebration of Douglas Adams - a short biography and introduction to his body of work. Its part review of his publications with details on yes the Hitchhikers Guide books but also his Dirk Gently books and other books, and finally it is a guide to the series itself with a closer look at characters places and events - all in the style you would come to expect from Douglas Adams, although it is w ...more
Melda
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bana bu kitabın ne dedirttiğini yazayım:

DOUGLAS, KEŞKE HAYATTA OLSAYDIN.

"Bütün hayatım boyunca yazar olma fikrinin büyüsüne kapıldım, ama bütün yazarlar gibi yazmaktan, yazılı olandan hoşlandığım kadar hoşlanmadım."
Paul
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was first broadcast at 22.30 on a Wednesday evening in 1978 where the BBC almost hoped that no one would hear it. Radio programmes in those days almost never got reviews either, so there was a collective dropping of jaws when it turned out that there were two in the papers that weekend praising the show. Word of mouth recommendations meant that this obscure comedy sci-fi series grew to have a cult following very soon and it was to permeate the national cultur ...more
BookitoCat
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-library
An amazing book from an amazing author for an amazing author. It was hilarious, Interesting and easy to read.

description
Rabid Readers Reviews
Written much in the style and humor of the author it honors, Neil Gaiman’s "Don’t Panic: Douglas Adams & The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy" is a wonderful treat for fans of “The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy” and its author. The book contains supporting material from Douglas Adams himself, as well as his own words as compiled from Gaiman’s interviews with him, as well as a tireless search of the media.

Adams early aspirations were toward the stage. He saw John Cleese perform while at Cam
Chris Ziesler
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have ever stood in a field staring up at the myriad stars in the night sky and wondering just how it came to be that the humanoid life-form known as Douglas Adams managed to dream up such infinitely improbable adventures, or if you have ever stood in front of a vending machine that has just provided you with a plastic cup filled with a liquid that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea, then in all likelihood you will enjoy this book.

Neil Gaiman has taken time off writing his own
Sanja_Sanjalica
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
A true fan book, concerning every form of the HGTTG, from radio series, books and many different adaptations, as well as the author's other work. It was a bit tiresome sometimes, especially regarding the visual adaptations, since I haven't seen any, but still quite entertaining and informative. Love the appendix part.
Aries
Jan 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: biografie
Mi sto rendendo conto di avere qualche problema con le biografie, soprattutto quando si tratta di autori o attori o comunque personaggi che amo od ho amato.
Il problema è che, volenti o nolenti, siamo tutti pronti a mitizzare un personaggio che amiamo, a vederne il genio artistico e poi a rimanere un po' delusi quando ne scopriamo dei lati che, in qualche modo, non ci piacciono: poi ci sono i fan "talebani", che qualunque cosa faccia il loro mito diranno che è perfetta, ma questo è un altro disco
Tracey
Sep 05, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any Douglas Adams fan who knows where his/her towel is
I received Don't Panic: Douglas Adams & the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as a birthday present & eagerly devoured it this week. Equally a biography and an examination of Adams' body of work, the original version of Don't Panic was written in 1987 by Neil Gaiman, with additional chapters added by David K. Dickson in 1993 and an overhaul with final chapter in 2003 by MJ Simpson. It is a credit to all three of these writers that the voice of the work is consistent throughout - and sound ...more
Sherlockb
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had to choose a book to read for a school assignment involving non fiction books. I chose Don't Panic, and never regretted the decision once. Written by Neil Gaiman, and added onto by others over the years, Don't Panic uses humor to assist in giving the information that is required to call a Biography a Biography. I found this book easy to get into, and rather enjoyable to do so. The book uses excerpts from Adams' works, and includes interviews with Adams himself, amongst others who we're impo ...more
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was, oddly, the very first Neil Gaiman book I read. It was in the Hazen High School Library and it said “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” on the cover, and that was good enough for me.

The connection between H2G2 and Doctor Who is no surprise, and yet it’s really quite surprising. The third book in the five part trilogy? Had its genesis as a Doctor Who script. (95). The actress who played Trillian in the television show was married to “Peter Davison, the fifth and blandest Dr Who. He playe
Ed Erwin
Although I loved Hitch-hikers guide when I read it, and still do, I would have never picked-up this book if it had been written by anyone else. I really wouldn't think I'd care about all the trivia about the different versions that have appeared over the years - radio shows, TV, books, film. But I like Gaiman's style. He keeps it interesting.

It turns out that it was somewhat interesting to see the creative process at work. The first two books were better than the next two because it was fresh a
Trish
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very good insight on Douglas Adams' process of creating The Hitchhiker's universe as well as his other works (such as his contribution to Doctor Who, Last Chance to See etc), everything that encompasses that, but also on DA's own character, work process and relation to other significant people (that some readers might have heard of through other books/movies/radio programs/TV shows but weren't aware of any connection). Moreover, there are some great excerpts from the books/radio programs and s ...more
Mark
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My only quibble is that the letters of the title on the cover are not large and friendly enough.
Nicole
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, nonfiction
I'm so glad I finally got a copy of this book (thanks, Mom!). I love h2g2, and this book is a great look at how all its various incarnations came to be. It also gives a good glimpse of Douglas Adams as a person and an author, which I appreciate since I'll never get a chance to meet him.

And Gaiman's writing is excellent--a perfect blend of reverent and realistic. It's clear Gaiman appreciates Adams' work as an author, but the book doesn't shy away from pointing out how he was probably frustrating
Ally Craig
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Kim
Nov 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: biography-memoir
I am a huge fan of books "Hitchhikers" and they are me go to re-read books as I can pick up one and read it from the bookmark I left in it six months ago and jump right into the story. I was so excited to see a bio about Doug and how the series came about. Well, this is the newest version of this book with other author contributors and I found it tedious,dull,and possibly worse than Vogon poetry. Maybe I needed a Babel fish to understand the way this was done, but Belgium! I expected better that ...more
Bryan
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is actually one of my favorite things that Gaiman has done. It feels more authentic than most of his prose. His enthusiasm for Adams is palpable, and I've always suspected that Gaiman is an avid reader and a fan of writers, and he worked hard to become a writer in order to accommodate those two passions. If that's the case, then this is about as close as we can get to "true Gaiman."
Dany
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was lovely to learn about all the process that The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (one of my favorite books) entailed in all its varied and multiple forms. Getting to know more about Douglas Adams in the fantastic way Neil Gaiman wrote this was a very nice experience. Four stars!
Phrodrick
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neil Gaiman's Don't Panic succeeds in so far as the author manages to capture the humor of the late Douglas Adams. It lacks depth as a biography but more than blankets the various aspects and versions of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (H2 G2 ) as well as the five book trilogy. It is correctly described in one of the other reviews as the hyper-extended bonus feature that was too long to include on any of the CDs or DVD versions of the radio broadcasts, televisions shows and unfortunately th ...more
Max Ostrovsky
Mostly boring.
I glanced and saw it had so many positive reviews and, for Pete's sake, Neil Gaiman wrote it, it talks about Doctor Who and obviously, the HGTHG, how could I not like it?
I didn't.
Parts were kinda sorta occasionally rarely interesting. But it read like research report, without the fancy graphs and complete with long dry quotations.
Gaiman has such a knack for story telling, he could have easily collected all the information and then retold the stories in his own voice.

Really, the
Kyrie
It's more of a biography of The Hitchhiker's Guide than an actual biography, but there's a good bit about Douglas Adams in it, so I'm putting it on that shelf. It's a good attempt to tie all the various bits together - radio, tv, books, computer game.

I found the first bits of the book puzzling because I've never heard the radio version or the TV version of Hitchhiker. Also,not being British, I feel like a lot of things went over my head in the explanations.

The latter part, where he's talking wi
Anton Shanaurin
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Отличный путеводитель по путеводителю, да и вообще по творчеству Дугласа Адамса. Для меня, в частности, объясняющий параллели между вторым романом о Дирке Джентли и "Американскими богами" самого Геймана. Прочитал с удовольствием, отвлёкшись на Себастиана Бранта. Возможно, для меня некоторые подробности были и лишними, однако небезынтересными. По крайней мере теперь знаю сколько книг в трилогии, может быть когда-нибудь...
Davi
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bom para saber mais sobre Douglas Adams, o livro é um pouco maçante no começo e no final, onde são apresentadas enxurradas de fatos e pessoas que parecem muito mais um apanhado desconexo das obras de Adams e suas consequência do que uma biografia. Mas a maior parte do livro (após ler 20% e até chegar a 80%) traz uma narrativa cativante que tenta explicar o cérebro dentro de um dos melhores autores de ficção e humor de todos os tempos.
Sona
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rada bych zažila rozhovor mezi Gaimanem a Adamsem. To musel být ohňostroj sarkazmu. Díky téhle knize jsem se jen potvrdila, že je jde oba milovat i nenávidět současně. Nebudu počítat, kolikrát jsem měla potřebu knihu odložit, ale jen proto, abych si mohla přečíst nějaký díl Průvodce, o kterém se zrovna psalo.
Terrence
A look into the chaos and brilliance that became one of my all time favorites, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's a remarkable and fun read for any Douglas Adams or Neil Gaiman fan.
I would REALLY like to see Adam's unfinished/unpublished "Doctor Who and the Krikkitmen" made into an radio play starring Tom Baker.
Lizbeth Gabriel
Well written, but I wasn't really interested in the complete history of the Hitchhiker's Guide, so DNF.
Elif
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kamera arkası gibi bir kitap, çok keyifli
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 3 13 May 07, 2018 12:59PM
did this book ever come out in Audio? 1 8 Dec 19, 2013 06:09AM
  • Wish You Were Here: The Official Biography of Douglas Adams
  • The Deeper Meaning of Liff
  • Better than Life (Red Dwarf #2)
  • The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words: Volume 1
  • Backwards (Red Dwarf #4)
  • Last Chance to See: In the Footsteps of Douglas Adams
  • The Road to Mars: A Post-Modem Novel
  • Prince of Stories: The Many Worlds of Neil Gaiman
  • And Another Thing... (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #6)
  • Hanging Out with the Dream King
  • Starship Titanic
  • The Wizards of Odd
  • Last Human (Red Dwarf, #3)
  • The Sandman Companion