Start by marking “Perspective Made Easy” as Want to Read:
Perspective Made Easy

Perspective Made Easy

Perspective, the author tells us, is easy; yet surprisingly few artists are aware of the simple rules that make it so. This easy-to-follow book — the first devoted entirely to clarifying the laws of perspective — remedies the situation. In it, the author uses over 250 simple line drawings to illustrate the concepts involved.
Beginning with clear, concise, immediately applic
Published January 19th 1999 by Dover Publications (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Perspective Made Easy, please sign up.
Amen I think practical and theoretical exercises are both equally important, you need both of them in order to understand this complicated concept.

Start your review of Perspective Made Easy
Jim
If you had told me I'd read a 200+ page book on perspective drawing, I would have told you you've been drinking too much, but Norling's book was actually entertaining while covering what can be a very dry topic for artists and art students.

Originally published in 1939, this Dover Book reprint has faithfully reproduced the original illustrations and the text is clear and easy to read. As a technique book, Norling covers each topic in simple steps with clear illustrations of each idea. If you're a
Patrick Sherriff
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
Sure, this was first published in 1939, but that only makes the book all that much better. The rules of perspective haven't changed and it's cool to see everything illustrated with steam locomotives and men wearing trilbies. And, yes, Ernest did make understanding perspective, horizons, vanishing points and drawing shadows and people in the right size in different parts of a perspective sketch easy.

Download my starter library for free here - http://eepurl.com/bFkt0X - and receive my monthly new
Jessica Courter
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
The title is not deceiving! This will teach you all the essentials about perspective in a easy to read and fully illustrated manner. Well worth my time. I borrowed this from a friend, but if I ever start drawing more frequently, I might add this to my shelf as a quick reference book.
Lily
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Perspective is a funny thing. We're all aware of it, because it's an integral part of how we understand information from our eyes, and we can usually sense that something is strange when a piece of art doesn't follow the "rules". And yet, it's a subject that often seems to be perceived as complicated and intimidating. It certainly does lend itself to complexity - but its basis is actually delightfully logical. This book does a good job of introducing the basics and then building up to more advan ...more
Kalin
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have been reading a lot of books on the subject of perspective drawing recently and this book is one that is highly recommended by a lot of artists. I'm not quite sure why though because when comparing it to the other books I have read, I find it incredibly lacking. It goes about explaining things in round about ways with chunks of information here and there that would make it difficult for someone with no prior knowledge of 1, 2 and 3 point perspective to ever fully figure out the proper setu ...more
Osvaldo Gonzalez
Oct 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very good book to read when you're starting your path in any kind of art (traditional or digital).

The book deconstructs one of the fundamentals of art. It explains the concepts of perspective one by one, in simple language, and allows you to evaluate your own understanding of the concepts with practical problems in each chapter.

The whole book takes around 15-20 hours to read, while performing the exercises as well.
Sjors
Jun 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Delivers what it says on the tin. Simple explanation of how to apply perspective for artists. Many clear illustrations. Had a few “aha” moments. Author provides simplified perspective rules and this might lead to noticeable inaccuracies in case of drawing “upright cylinders”. But ok overall.
Cindy Buckshon
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very useful

There are so many practical techniques for using perspective correctly in this book. I bought the kindle version but might buy a print book to have on hand when working on site.
Diane Schaefer
The title says it all. The author explains perspective and gives useful examples. Great for any aspiring artists
DarIO
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book primarily covers one and two point perspective. It also addresses special cases and uses of perspective such as sizing objects in a 3D scene and drawing reflections. I have been doing a free online course called Draw A Box for the better part of 6 months to learn how to draw. The Draw A Box course focuses heavily on drawing perspective from imagination, but some of the instructions had either gone over my head, or simply not been covered. This book was a great read for piecing together ...more
Rae
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I found this book through a recommendation from ‘Figure Drawing, For All It’s Worth’ by Andrew Loomis. As someone who did not have the best education on drawing perspective, I figured it was worth a shot, and I am so glad I did. It’s a relatively quick read, includes excellent diagrams, and explains the concepts in easy language. It’s very well written, well paced, and taught me more about perspective than all my art teachers combined. The concepts can be deceptively simple, and Norling guides t ...more
Eric
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Necessary stop on the path to becoming a decent artist. Norling’s instruction is both incredibly practical and really easy to apply yourself after a read-through.

This book gets a 5 star rating from me for the fact that ANYONE, no matter their ability level, can leave this book able to draw a lot of cool looking things that they couldn’t have done before. From an urban jungle to a complex natural landscape, this book really makes the impossible possible, if you just understand the concepts lai
Alexander
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love this book because of its gradual dep to the topic. It provides a lot of practical exercises where you need to pick up your ass and do a real-life drawing by observing the environment, fold-up books one on another to see how the whole picture changes in perspective, observe the horizon and a lot of other things... The most important is not being lazy while moving between chapters and do a real-life drawing.
Ancestra
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: art-drawing
Well-written explanations so far, highly recommended for beginners in perspective.

But, I would more recommend to watch a video if you want to study perspective or other "how to draw" things, since it more easy to understand. There's a lot of it.

Perspective is one of the most essential skills that every artist should master.

Nicholas Ball
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-inspiration
Simply written, natural progression in topics and exercises, a fully accomplished, cheap, one-step shop for anyone interested in trying to get their head around perspective in construction and art. Dropping $10 on this to comprehensively approach a consistently understudied aspect for art beginners is a solid investment.
Mischa
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: drawing
This book is great for quickly getting a grasp on the concept of perspective in drawing. As it's an old book, the PDF is available online for free and you can work through it in a day or two.

Especially recommended if you found Scott Robertson's book How To Draw a bit daunting. Just read this and then get back to Robertson's holy book.
Thuys
Jul 28, 2019 added it
Way too "easy" to have truly understanding of perspective. The ellipse part is quite useful while the part of irregular spacing is totally wrong. How exciting it is to learn something from many sources, so by comparing what you learn from one source with that of others and with your own experience, you find the truth. ...more
Daniel Macgregor
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
As an amateur artist, this was a great book. Some chapters were more useful than others, the last chapter lost me totally, but it shines light on an drawing topic that many artist (my self included) overlook in the beginning, so if you need to stop your tables looking like diamonds instead of squares, pick up this book.
Vinayak Thube
Dec 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow, Ernest Ralph Norling explains 'perspective' with so simple examples that you can easily apply in real life. This book clears very basic topics like vanishing point, relationship of eye level to perspective, 1& 2 point perspective, shadows, interiors etc. Actually their are many advance books on this topic but for beginners and artists, has to read this atleast once. ...more
Saxie5
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although this book was a little dry, it is full of good information and tips for drawing perspective. The chapter summaries and drawing exercises are helpful.
Tautvydas Rasimka
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great intro to perspective, less mechanical. Great book before Scott Robertson
Themightybat
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Probbaly the best book on perspective, packaged in a concise and entertaining format. A good book to keep close when drawing.
Wayan Adhi
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-design
Great book for beginner who want to try study perspective.
Chris Carithers
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
A great introduction that covers a range of techniques for using linear perspective. Some descriptions are hard to follow without some background knowledge or supplemental material.
Michielle Nadeem
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Will continue to reference this book in the future to take it into practice. Perfect for beginners to perspective, such as myself.
Sam
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Accurate, clear and to the point.
Mark perry
Jun 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Intriguing but also written in a place of confusion
Rowan
Jan 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
I didn't realize how old this was when I ordered it, but it taught me a hell of a lot more about perspective than the art classes i paid for and for far less money so if it ain't broke am i right ...more
Mephistopheles
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Really clear, simple explanations, with easy to follow diagrams. Recommended for artists.
Julia
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to this book I can now take my questionable Sonic fan art to a whole new level.

• Framed Ink: Drawing and Composition for Visual Storytellers
  • Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter
  • How to Draw: Drawing and Sketching Objects and Environments from Your Imagination
  • Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (How to draw and paint)
  • Keys to Drawing
  • Fun with a Pencil
  • Drawing the Head and Hands
  • Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators
  • Drawing the Head and Figure
  • The Practice and Science of Drawing
  • Imaginative Realism: How to Paint What Doesn't Exist
  • Figure Drawing: Design and Invention
  • Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters: 100 Great Drawings Analyzed, Figure Drawing Fundamentals Defined
  • How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way