Start by marking “Sailing Alone Around the Room: New and Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
Sailing Alone Around the Room: New and Selected Poems

Sailing Alone Around the Room: New and Selected Poems

Sailing Alone Around the Room, by America’s Poet Laureate, Billy Collins, contains both new poems and a generous gathering from his earlier collections The Apple That Astonished Paris, Questions About Angels, The Art of Drowning, and Picnic, Lightning. These poems show Collins at his best, performing the kinds of distinctive poetic maneuvers that have delighted and fascina ...more
Published September 17th 2002 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Sailing Alone Around the Room, please sign up.
Cory Carwile "On Turning Ten"

"On Turning Ten"

I fills me with nostalgia for my youth, and also reminds that the bitterness of growing older is relative -- a matter of perspective. It makes me smile and feel sad at the same time.(less)

Arah-Lynda
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Arah-Lynda by: s.penkevich
Age vitam plenissime

Take a walk in the park
perhaps of an evening,
moonlight dancing lightly
through the swaying branches of the willow,
reflected off the water,
where the heron feeds,
Illuminating our path.

There is a slight breeze
a welcome silence
later we will have a fire
and listen to the music of the night.

I am humbled to remember that poetry is after all everywhere. It envelopes us. It is in the words we read and those we speak to each other.
It is in the very air I breathe, deep and slow.

I love
s.penkevich
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to s.penkevich by: Stephen M
Shelves: poetry, poet_laureate
I want the scissors to be sharp
and the table perfectly level
when you cut me out of my life
and paste me in the book you always carry.

Billy Collins, the American Poet Laureate from 2001-2003, is a poet whom you really always keep with you. The man is a pure shot of brilliance; his serene and seemingly effortless prose will seduce your intellect and make sweet, playful love to your soul. This particular collection serves as an early ‘best of’ and would make a perfect introduction to Collins. If y
D. Pow
Feb 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
I am a book addict. I own thousands of them. They fill most rooms of my house, many closets, my garage. They are stacked high by my bedside, on the hamper in the upstairs bathroom, in the backseat of my car. I take a book with me most places I go. I buy books all the time but I have gotten a little less self-indulgent in my buying habits; I almost never buy hardback and I never ever buy full-price. Probably the next lesson I should learn in my book buying habits is never buy while partially or f ...more
Stephen M
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've already begun posting Billy Collins' poetry around my apartment.

In front of my bed:

description

On the refrigerator:

description

The book has inspired a couple poems.

Voice

After spending upward of a few hours
reading the poetry of Billy Collins,
his soft, monotone voice has begun
narrating my life.

When I walk to the bathroom,
his voice murmurs behind the splash in the toilet:

"I think of how many times I've risen
to use the bathroom and how the
noise of urine hitting the bowl of water
sounds like a strange symphony of busy
vo
7jane
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
A quick read, read in two days, yet I tried my best to rush it, because this was good. A collection of poems from earlier collections with new batch added at the end, this book has poems of various moods, some of which may appear in the same poem, changing the feeling at some point(s).

There's many with everyday-life feel in them, yet some go beyond and turn things around deliciously. They're often funny too; I didn't find anything too-heavy within.

The author doesn't write his poems too heavily-l
Ted
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Walking Across the Atlantic

I wait for the holiday crowd to clear the beach
before stepping onto the first wave.

Soon I am walking across the Atlantic
thinking about Spain,
checking for whales, waterspouts.

I feel the water holding up my shifting weight.
Tonight I will sleep on its rocking surface.

But for now I try to imagine what
this must look like to the fish below,
the bottoms of my feet appearing, disappearing.

Collins in 2015

Billy Collins was born in Manhattan in 1941, received a BA degree from Holy
Steve
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I don’t think Billy gives a rat’s ass that I’m a philistine; that I’m unschooled in the appreciation of fine arts; that I can’t even fake knowing jack about poetry. He writes for guys like me, too. In fact, it might be kind of his thing. (My friend Scott, who does know poetry, commented just today that Collins has a reputation for being less serious. Evidently, the hegemons of verse took exception when he was named Poet Laureate and called for their own choice.) But he won me over on the very fi ...more
Megan Baxter
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I know nothing about poetry. A bad experience in my first-year World Literature class sent me running screaming from the English Department. This doesn't mean I don't like poetry, just that I know little about it, or how to find good poetry.

But when I read s.penkevich's great review of Sailing Alone Around the Room, the poems he posted as part of that caught my attention right away, and I ordered the book from the library.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the changes in Goo
 amapola
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
31 dicembre 2016, a letto con 38 di febbre, bevendo un brodino caldo in compagnia di Billy Collins

Billy Collins, americano, è un poeta che divide: amato dalla gente, anche da chi non frequenta assiduamente la poesia, ma giudicato dalla critica accademica un poeta banale, irrispettoso della tradizione, leggero, privo di spessore.
Io l’ho scoperto grazie alle recensioni di due amici anobiani e mi ha sorpreso: semplice, coinvolgente, fresco.
A me è piaciuta tanto questa:

COMPIENDO DIECI ANNI
L’idea ste
rahul
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to rahul by: Nidhi Singh
Shelves: favorites, poetry
last night my soul woke up
Thirsty, I call it
looking for something that I had
Missed, so I have named my memories

a memory came from the past
and led me forward
giving shore to my lost
soul,within the pages of...
Sailing Alone Around the Room

A couple of poems I drank then.
Savored another before breakfast.
One awaits me once
I am done with this review.

Meanwhile, for better use of words.
Please relish this.

Winter Syntax

A sentence starts out like a lone traveler
heading into a blizzard at midnight,
tilting i
Joseph
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
The two-time poet laureate of the Untied States is perhaps on of the most readable poets today. He has a unique knack for taking the mundane and making it interesting. I have read several of his collections and have enjoyed them all.

"Bar Time" is an interesting reflection. Clocks in bars are set fifteen minutes ahead of the current time to prevent violating the law of serving after hours. Collins take a different view of the time difference. He sees the bar as a time machine putting him fifteen
Amy (Other Amy)
We locate an adjective for the weather.
We announce that we are having a wonderful time.
We express the wish that you were here

and hide the wish that we were where you are,
walking back from the mailbox, your head lowered
as you read and turn the thin message in your hands.

A slice of this place, a length of white beach,
a piazza or carved spires of a cathedral
will pierce the familiar place where you remain,

and you will toss on the table this reversible display:
a few square inches of where we have str
Cheryl
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
”I walk through the house reciting it and leave its letters falling through the air of every room.”

Whenever I read Billy Collins’ poems, I want to hand them out to people nearby, as if they are small gifts, from him to all of us. They so perfectly exist within their words that they seem almost self-formed, and Billy Collins is merely their handler who has unwrapped them or undressed them and showed us their essence.
Forgetfulness
The name of the author is the first to go
followed obediently by th
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jenny (Reading Envy) by: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56Iq3P...
Shelves: read2017, poetry
I have heard the poet Billy Collins read his own work frequently enough that when I read his poems now, I hear them in his voice. This collection takes some poems from previous collections (some I had read already, and one I had read the same day from a collection of various poets - The Poetry of Impermanence, Mindfulness, and Joy) and sprinkles in a few new poems.

I was surprised by how many of the poems were about the writing and teaching of poetry itself, but perhaps that is an indication of
Nidhi Singh
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one the best books I have ever read. Almost every poem in this collection is wonderful. A book I would want to read again and again. This might not be the best poem from this collection but it has that ability to persist in my memory which is not very good with poetry.

Introduction to Poetry

I ask them to take a poem
and hold it up to the light
like a color slide

or press an ear against its hive.

I say drop a mouse into a poem
and watch him probe his way out,

or walk inside the poem's room
and fe
Anne
May 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
I just really enjoy Billy Collins'dry wit and way with words. But here is my favorite Billy Collins poem (not, alas, included in this book, but it will give you a nice taste of his work).

the lanyard

The other day as I was ricocheting slowly
off the blue walls of this room
bouncing from typewriter to piano
from bookshelf to an envelope lying on the floor,
I found myself in the "L" section of the dictionary
where my eyes fell upon the word, Lanyard.
No cookie nibbled by a French novelist
could send
Jean
Aug 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
I gave this book three separate sittings and though I did enjoy reading it, I could not shake the feeling that Collins is a bit too straightforward. I understand his widespread appeal - he makes poetry manageable, accessible, easy - but I think he does so at some expense. Critics quoted in the front of the book described his "irresistable charm" - but I think that a great deal of that charm is not so much the sublimeness of his poems, but the fact that nearly every person on earth - secretly, de ...more
Stacy Bender
the lanyard

The other day as I was ricocheting slowly
off the blue walls of this room
bouncing from typewriter to piano
from bookshelf to an envelope lying on the floor,
I found myself in the "L" section of the dictionary
where my eyes fell upon the word, Lanyard.
No cookie nibbled by a French novelist
could send one more suddenly into the past.
A past where I sat at a workbench
at a camp by a deep Adirondack lake
learning how to braid thin plastic strips into a lanyard.
A gift for my mother.
I
Northpapers
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
"I am wondering what became of all those tall abstractions
that used to pose, robed and statuesque, in paintings
and parade about on the pages of the Renaissance
displaying their capital letters like license plates."

- from "The Death of Allegory"

Billy Collins is the master jazz flute player of poetry. His touch is so exquisitely light, his sound so modest and calm, that you can miss the depth of what he's doing.

My friend Adam Fites sent this collection to me for Christmas. I had read Nine Horses in
shanghao
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book is a gift that keeps on giving. Billy Collins' observations and musings sound like they come from Dumbledore, complete with the twinkle in his eye. I read these aloud, by the way, the rhythms make it impossible not to.
Anna
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very different from 'The Rain In Portugal' but I was an active reader this time, highlighting and drinking it in. Truly enjoyed this one though, will definitely be reading more by Billy Collins in the future.
Brendan
Dec 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
My philosophically minded friends and I have a debate about Billy Collins' poetry. They insist that the attempt to chronicle the everyday in a meaningful way can be done in a deeper, more profound manner. They find Collins lacking in this way. This is probably true, but not Collins' main point, I think.
Still, I think, after rereading this book, that Collins becomes more profound with time. I am still unsure if this is my projection into the poem because I *want* these poems to be more profound o
Trish
Sep 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who don't like poetry
Billy Collins is the perfect poet for people who don't really care for poetry. He writes little stories in free verse that are accessible and often very funny. This is a collection of, as the title says, new and old poems. Some of my favorites are: Marginalia where the poet ponders the kinship he feels with people who write in the margin of books; Another Reason Why I Don't Keep a Gun in the House where the poet struggles with his ire at the neighbor's barking dog, and Passengers, his observatio ...more
Ashley
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading two collections of Collins's poetry prior to this, I thought I had read the best poems. This collection showed me that I was wrong, not only by being even better than the collections I'd read, but also by being the cleverest, wittiest and sublimest poetry collection ever. The poems within cover a wide range of themes with numerous poetic forms, genres, styles and concepts employed. Truly amazing and worth a read! Highly recommended to each and every poetry enthusiasts.
Melody
Nov 19, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I have to say that I glaze over at most poetry. I always feel that I need to "tie the poem to a chair with rope and torture a confession out of it". But perhaps this book helped me "walk inside the poem's room and feel the walls for a light switch". Although I'll still do that with the hose for beating behind my back.
Colin
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Billy Collins has always been one of my favourite poets for his minimalist style, clever turns of wit, and thoughtful concepts. And so, I'm happy to report that this collection has not failed to succeed the others in making me laugh, think, and cry.
Josiphine/Tessa
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, beautiful
Amazing. Billy Collins's poetry is such a delight to read. His style is almost irreverent--you can tell that he doesn't take himself too seriously. I don't usually read volumes of poetry straight through, but this one was an exception.
Ashley Kjos
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well, I’ve skipped books on poetry for 30+ years and this book made me feel like a fool for doing so
Krzysztof
Oct 27, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry, worst, 2009, reviewed
I was just going through old books to donate and came across this. I thought, "Oh, this turd's definitely getting itself donated." I remembered Collins as being proudly dull, writing almost exclusively about writing poems, and trying to trick you into thinking that every rudimentary action was a profound moment.

As I flipped through the soon-to-be-donated book, hoping to find a lost hundred, a girl's phone number, or something as good/forgotten as the poetry was bad/forgotten, I found a series o
Aad
Aug 31, 2012 added it

---The History Teacher---

Trying to protect his students’ innocence
he told them the Ice Age was really just
the Chilly Age, a period of a million years
when everyone had to wear sweaters.

And the Stone Age became the Gravel Age,
named after the long driveways of the time.

The Spanish Inquisition was nothing more
than an outbreak of questions such as
“How far is it from here to Madrid?”
“What do you call the matador’s hat?”

The War of the Roses took place in a garden,
and the Enola Gay dropped one tiny atom
Madison Mega-Mara...: #17 Sailing Around the Room (New and Selected Poems) 1 3 Feb 28, 2015 11:23AM
  • Delights and Shadows
  • Good Poems
  • The Best of It: New and Selected Poems
  • Given Sugar, Given Salt
  • Different Hours
William A. ("Billy") Collins is an American poet. He served two terms as the Poet Laureate of the United States from 2001 to 2003. In his home state, Collins has been recognized as a Literary Lion of the New York Public Library (1992) and selected as the New York State Poet for 2004.
“Vade Mecum

I want the scissors to be sharp
and the table perfectly level
when you cut me out of my life
and paste me in that book you always carry.”
93 likes
“But some nights, I must tell you,
I go down there after everyone has fallen asleep.
I swim back and forth in the echoing blackness.
I sing a love song as well as I can,
lost for a while in the home of the rain. ”
85 likes