Start by marking “Dancing Backwards in High Heels” as Want to Read:
Dancing Backwards in High Heels

Dancing Backwards in High Heels

At 42, Madeleine Hutchinson is in a rut. Newly arrived in Australia from America, she is struggling to cope with 2 children, a flagging marriage and an overwhelming sense of invisibility. One winter evening while trying to get her sick son to a GP, she glimpses couples dancing, touching and laughing in a warmly lit studio. Attracted to this new world and reminded of her yo ...more
Published 2008 by Hachette Australia

To ask other readers questions about Dancing Backwards in High Heels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing Backwards in High Heels

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aussie-author
I was thrilled to be offered the chance to review Dancing Backwards In High Heels for the AWW Challenge, as it’s premise particularly appealed to me. The protagonist, Madeleine Hutchinson, is near my age and struggling with a recent move, a faltering marriage and adolescent children. Desperate to take control of her life, she takes up Latin Ballroom dancing.

For Maddy, dancing proves to be a catalyst for change, reawakening her identity as an individual, and as a woman, distinct from being simply
Olivia
Maddy is a forty-two year old housewife who has lost her way. Transplanted from her native USA to Melbourne, she is struggling to cope with a life that seems to put everybody before her. Then one night when she’s out looking for a doctor to take her sick son to, she notices a dance studio and it strikes a chord. Something inside her comes alive again when she decides to start taking dancing lessons. However the rest of her family aren’t so happy and Maddy has to face up to a whole new set of cha ...more
Suzie
Jan 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Many women would be able to relate to Maddy's feelings of loss of self and just going through the motions of her life (while her husband and kids are sailing along thanks to her support and encouragement). What makes it harder for her is being in a foreign country. Once again her husband and kids are fine as they have school and work to build a new social network, but she feels like she is on the fringes and will probably never settle in Melbourne. Then, by chance, she comes across a dance studi ...more
Helen McKenna
Maddy is 42 years old and in a rut. A newcomer to Australia, she is struggling to find her feet while her two kids and husband seem to have settled in well at work and school. Desperate for a new outlet but just not sure what she wants, Maddy finds her answer one night as she searches for a doctors surgery for her ill son. A dancing studio catches her eye and on a whim, Maddy signs up for lessons - having no clue just what an impact it will have on her life.

Many women would be able to relate to
Monica
Dec 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
I really enjoyed this book. It's about finding time to do the things that bring you joy, despite mundane demands, and ultimately about making choices about the life you want to lead. Not too taxing a read, but with enough 'meat' on it to satisfy.
Prue
Sep 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Adult females
Recommended to Prue by: I found it in the library
Lovely read, firm characterisation. Enticing 40 plus year olds that they too can pick up their feet and dance. It is by turns poignant, dangerous, funny and in the end, utterly satisfying. I loved it.
Nicola Marsh
Oct 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The characterisation in this book makes it a standout.

Loved the 'real' feelings of the heroine, which any woman with kids could probably identify with.

Poignant, evocative, a winner!
Kristina
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm a ballroom dancer and I relate to this book in lots of ways! Awesome writing and from the heart. I'd reccomend this book to ANYONE even if they aren't a dancer!
Elizabeth
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I had so many OMG that's my life moments while reading it.
Naomi
Aug 25, 2009 added it
Very light quick read. Great for reading when you're not in the mood to have to really think about what you're reading. However the characters are certainly relatable to most women.
Faye