Start by marking “Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 1

Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 1

(金魚屋古書店 #1)

Every bookstore has a thousand stories to tell. An art student finds inspiration. An archer hits a bull's-eye. A homemaker rediscovers romance. A teenager discovers his true self in the pages of a manga magazine. All this and more at Kingyo Used Books, a place that helps people find their dreams.
Published April 20th 2010 by VIZ Media LLC (first published December 24th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Shadowjac Art is subjective, it all depends on personal taste. I personally don't care for it, but it's not incompetent.
Shadowjac Yes, but if your asking with a child in mind you should know it's kinda of slow, not boring but slow.

Start your review of Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 1
Mir
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic, books
That was excellent! Basically a series of short stories related to a used bookstore, about books changing people's lives by reminding them of their youths, or giving them new perspective, or causing them to become friends with like-minded strangers. Good art, too.

Now to track down all the manga referenced in this book! I've read surprisingly few of them.
Anyone know if there's a masterlist somewhere? I've typing out all (I hope all)the ones mentioned here, but it was a bit of work and I don't
Seth T.
Sep 25, 2011 rated it liked it
[Review of volumes 13]

I love books and I love reading stories about books. Books are this grave mystery. There is something transcendent about holding another person's brain in your hands, about receiving crystal-clear messages from the dead (if your author is indeed passed on). And books that explore this mystery are a delectable wonder to me.

Kingyo Used Books by Seimu Yoshizaki

Half my joy in reading Carlos Ruiz Zafón's Shadow of the Wind (beyond the entrancing period and twisting plot) was the book's love affair with The Book.
Noran Miss Pumkin
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, 2011
This is a happy little store, that just sells/buys manga. Several short stories--each with a little lesson. Cute and crazy characters co-exist well within the pages. Each story refers to various manga titles/types-giving you a little history lesson along the way. But you need a magnifying glass to read the little margin notes. The last pages give you greater detail about the manga series titles/artists mentioned in each story.

The drawing of the book is well done, the cover has a built-in book
Linda
Jun 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
This manga is a series of vignettes centering on a used bookstore specializing in manga. Each vignette references a particular manga with a description in the back of the volume about the manga and the mangaku or artist as the case may be. Each story showed how manga had positively affected people--people who maybe felt too old to read manga, friends who remembered the kids they used to be through the manga they loved, women making friends by the mutual love of a particular manga.

Parts of it
Nicole Bunge
Manga about manga. How very Japanese. (I say this because it's done with such seriousness and love, and no irony.)
It really deserves 4 stars as far as quality, but I didn't, ultimately, care for it that much personally. Mainly because it's about old manga- like serialized 1970s titles - and how they affected people's lives - and that's not something I'm into. I can respect the quality, the research, and the notes (which I really appreciate, since this subject is so foreign to me) and the utter
Julia
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A perfectly cute manga about a used book store. Each chapter is a vignette (?) about a person's experience with a manga/series. In the back of the book there are notes about each series for context/information if you want to check out the series.
I knocked off half a star because the art isn't that great. I knocked off another star because the translation wasn't that good. Most of the titles of the manga weren't translated and there were some lines of dialogue that were really awkward. There were
Garylikesmanga
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've been looking for a manga about books for a while, but I prefer slice of life style stories to action or supernatural manga, so I couldn't find one. I happened across this title in an issue of OtakuUSA magazine and decided to order a copy and give it a try. The premise is about a used bookstore that specializes in manga. Various people come to the store for different reasons, be it to buy a manga or to sell their old volumes. The characters find a manga that ends up changing their life, in ...more
Ginger K
Jun 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, 2010, reviewed
A nostalgic look at the meaning of reading -- and re-reading -- manga.
Rachel
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This was so sweet, and the joy of the characters in their love of manga and how it brought them together was delightful! Ahhh, the dream, to be surrounded by comics all the time! Although it often referenced older manga, and there were notes on them, I ended up just skipping most of those notes because I didn't feel knowing the content of the manga the characters read was necessary. What they FELT about the manga was what mattered, and that came through within the actual text (and I mean both ...more
Nick
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Oddly, this is a graphic novel series ABOUT classic manga, told in short stories so that each volume is an anthology, all taking place with some connection to the used book store in the title. Got that? I think part of my enjoyment in the reading of this book came from the memories it brought back, since in my long-ago youth I worked in a store that sold new and used books, comics and manga. We weren't as obsessive as the folks at Kingyo, but there really is a culture that develops among staff, ...more
Denise
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: gnmc2018
A series for book lovers and manga lovers. Any bibliophile will be able to connect with these stories that revolve around a used manga shop. People come in to sell a collection and reconnect with an old favorite and in the process rediscover a part of themselves or a lost love. They're all testaments to the power of books and stores--regardless of the medium.

Each story features a classic manga with notes in the margins about the importance of the titles. There's more information at the end.
Donna
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
Centered around a used book store that sells manga, these are short stories about customers.

This was ok. Because it's the equivalent of short stories, I never grew connected to any of the characters. The art was not great and this sometimes contributed to confusion about who was who. I'm all for bookstores in any of their guises, but I don't feel the need to check in on this one for a second volume.
Jeanette
A slice of life anthology surrounding a used manga store. This is a gentle look at the value of reading, especially from a young age. The stories get progressively more interesting as the regular cast gets a few stories. I especially enjoyed the chapter on French comics and another on a stay-at-home mum looking for a friend. It's all fairly family friendly stuff with some excellent research and manga trivia behind it.

3 1/2 stars
Mahra
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
"a cute sienen"

1. i expected sienen with cute romance building up on the side but it was just your typical sienen manga so yeah

2. i loved billy, and i kinda related to him when he found out that his fav author died.

3. it was really a fun read but i heard it was dropped by viz media so i might continue read it online and tbh its still on hiatus.

4. the art is 9/10 i really liked it.

all in all,
please recommend me a similar manga about books manga and romance.
noctober
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A lovely book about how books can change lives and bring people together. I didn't know any of the old time manga referenced in the stories, but I still enjoyed it. Not for readers who are new to manga, as this contains many Japanese terms and honorifics that go untranslated. Fans of Mushishi will enjoy this.
ray-chel ♥
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
I liked the manga list throughout the story. That was creative, but I absolutely did not like the artwork. It seemed disproportionate?? The storyline was nice, but not enough for me to continue the series.
Sofia
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This neat little book made me want to:
1) read more books
2) work at a little used bookstore
Teetee
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-shojo
I read so many books just looking for that next great series to discover. I collected about 30 ongoing series at the highlight of my manga days and waiting between releases was painful!
Peter Parker
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this paperback.
Jessica
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I like books about books and about reading, and this is a lovely little set of episodes about reading making people happy.
Christina
Mar 11, 2017 marked it as unfinished
Shelves: manga, public-library
I had high hopes for this series, after all it's about a bookstore! But I just couldn't connect with it. Written for adults, it's a series of brief sketches that are connected by a used manga bookstore. The translation is a bit rough, and it seems to be relying on nostalgia and a familiarity with a lot of manga series I don't have. Since a new character is introduced as the protagonist, and the rscurring sales lady at the bookstore only appears briefly and isn't fleshed out, I stopped reading ...more
Shalor T.
Oct 28, 2010 rated it liked it
I have to admit, I can't quite make up my mind as to how I feel about this manga. I like it, but I don't know if I like it as much as some of the other similar "episodic slice of life" books that are out on the market right now.

The series surrounds a used book store that specializes in manga. The checkout girl is the granddaughter of the store owner & is a focus of interest for the resident manga otaku that works there. (Mostly because he knows if he marries her, he'll inherit the store.)
Julia
Oct 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-manhwa
I just have a thing for bookstores. I love reading about them. I was obsessed with 84, Charing Cross Road and Marks & Co when I was younger. So why should a series about manga bookstore be any different?

Kingyo Used Books is a slice of life series about a manga bookstore and the people that cross its path. It's not earth-shattering, plot wise, just lovely easy going stories. Through the doors, we learn about the history and culture of manga, but we also see how the stories impact the people
Leigh Anne
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
They never meta manga they didn't like.

Bookstores are often referred to as a "third place" within communities, and Kingyo Used Books is a very special third place indeed. Specializing entirely in manga, the store waits in a little out of the way spot for the readers who need to find it. When they do it, they're connected with just the right book at just the right time. What makes this especially charming is that the staff themselves aren't conscious of doing anything special: they just love
Kelly
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
For those of you who really enjoy manga--especially the part of sharing your favorite stories with friends and newbies alike--this collection of short stories really hits the spot. If you picked this up expecting a continuous string of adventure and shennanigans, just get that idea out of your head. These are short stories concentrated around one specific used book store, about the people who run it and the people who visit it. Each mini story was equally good, showing how meaningful good books ...more
Nicole
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've had this manga on my shelves for a while now, and today was finally the perfect lazy Sunday to pull it out. A really charming book - I'm glad I had already picked up volumes 2 and 3 and could keep reading. It's really a series of character stories/vignettes all tied together by the characters' love of manga/books and the stories that moved them/meant something to them at given times in their lives. And of course, the Kingyo Used book store figures prominently throughout, often as a a place ...more
Hollowspine
Jan 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I really enjoyed the first book of this series and am excited to see more volumes of this manga. Another one that if I ever decided to start a manga library would be a chosen title. (Along with Mushishi and Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service).

Each chapter highlights a different famous manga, most of which I had never heard of and many of which are unavailable here in the States. However, that did not affect my enjoyment of the various stories, which had slice-of-life charm and very universal
Alexander Case
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anime-manga
I'm a bibliophile - something that should be obvious to anyone who is using this site. Also, considering that you, too, use Goodreads, then the odds are high that you are also a bibliophile. Well, this series is basically a fan-service series for bibliophiles. Yes, they're talking about manga instead of more conventional books, but the points still stand - this is a manga about books and the people who love them, for people who love books, by someone who loves books.

The writer, Seimu Yoshizaki,
Candice M (tinylibrarian)
Sep 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
I wish I had grown up reading manga like so many of the characters in this title. I also wish I was more familiar with the old-school manga that they refer to in the series. On the one hand, it's great because it kind of motivates you to go out and find all of the series discussed in the book, but on the other hand, it's a little frustrating since it seems like many of the series are pretty old. The only one I was familiar with was Doraemon!!!
Lauren
Feb 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, adult-lit
This is a book lover's book. The plot of each small story isn't full of adventure or suspense. These are quiet stories about people who use reading to cope with their everyday lives and how reading makes their lives a little bit brighter. You don't have to read manga to enjoy these books, you just have to have lived enough to recognize the emotions and hopes that reading brings to the people in them.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • Mushishi, Vol. 1
  • Die, Vol. 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 1 (Library Wars: Love & War, #1)
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 1 (Ōoku: The Inner Chambers / 大奥, #1)
  • The Witch Boy (The Witch Boy, #1)
  • PLUTO: Naoki Urasawa x Ozamu Tezuka, Band 001
  • The Undefeated
  • BEASTARS 2 (Beastars, #2)
  • Beyoncé: Shine Your Light
  • Truth is Fragmentary: Travelogues & Diaries
  • Acceptable Risk
  • Fence #5 (Fence, #5)
  • Fence #6 (Fence, #6)
  • Radiant, Tome 1 (Radiant, #1)
  • Analog, Vol. 1
  • Roll with It

金魚屋古書店 (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 2