Start by marking “Invitation to Murder (A Card Making Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Invitation to Murder (A Card Making Mystery, #1)

Invitation to Murder (A Cardmaking Mystery #1)

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  242 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Jennifer Shane's brainchild of a shop, Custom Card Creations, hasn't been all glitter and tinsel. Customers are scarce and-after finally landing a client-Jennifer hears a murder over the phone. And when she receives a threatening note, it's clear someone has designs on her life, too. Now, between holding cardmaking lessons, trying to scissor her ex-fiancé out of her life, ...more
Published September 6th 2005 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Invitation to Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invitation to Murder

Julie
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kindle
Heather L
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall not a bad story, though it could have benefited from better editing. Have also never been a fan of meandering paragraphs that are a half page to 1-1/2 pages long. As a cardmaker myself, though, I did like the premise.
Elizabeth
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This is book #1 in the Card Making Mystery but I had red #2 first. I really enjoyed the 2nd book but I was a little disappointed in this one. The way Jennifer and her aunt go about finding which of their suspects had alibis just didn't seem in the realm of something that would really happen. But it was still an enjoyable book and I like the main characters. I also make cards so I enjoy reading about what goes into running a craft store.
Patty
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a fun first book in a series. This is also a first book by this author for me, although Elizabeth Bright is actually Tim Myers I haven't read any of his other books. I think he has hooked me with this one so I'll be reading others.

Jennifer has just opened her own card making shop when she receives a wrong number phone call for "Donna". While Jenn is trying to explain that the person has a wrong number the female caller lets out a blood curdling scream and the phone goes dead. Jenn calls her
Nytetyger
Nov 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009-challenge
This is, again, another start to another new cozy mystery series. The setting this time is in yet another small town, where the female protagonist owns a brand new shop devoted to the making of greeting cards, and the selling of the fancy ones she makes on her own. Her first day, sitting at the counter, she gets a wrong number that haunts her—sounds like someone is begging for help and then is murdered. She tells her brother who is (of course) the sheriff of the small town, but he dismisses it, ...more
Veronica Noechel
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a fun start to a mystery series. Not so much a nail biter, but more of a romp with a group of likeable characters I wouldn't mind hanging out with in real life. Again, I fell behind on my reviews, so I'm lacking some detail. One drawback I seem to recall was that the story plays a bit fast and loose with the protagonist's investigative techniques which I thought might be pretty easy to spot by the antagonist. There were things she did that would make her an easy mark for any nefarious kille ...more
Julie Fetcho
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fun quick cozy with a few laughs.

Jennifer Shane opens a new card making shop a couple doors down from her sister's scrapbooking store. whereas her brother, Bradford, is the sheriff of Rebel Forge, Virginia.

Customers are scarce and Jennifer jumps at a ladies request to do wedding invitations. Then she receives a phone call where she hears a women being killed. Then she starts receiving threatening notes. Between Jennifer and her aunt Lillian they hunt for clues as to who killed the woman on the
Marj
I enjoyed this book. It was a nice cozy, featuring a card making shop and its owner, Jennifer Shane. She is assisted by her Aunt Lillian, who is a little eccentric, and adds some charm to the story.

I also enjoy the interaction between Jennifer and her brother, Bradford and her sister, Sarah Lynn. The relationship between Jennifer's brother and their aunt is interesting, also.

Looking forward to the next in the series.
Mascanlon
Dec 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
This is a book by cozy writer Tim Myers. The protagonist Jennifer Shane takes a leap of faith and opens her own cardmaking shop in a small town. Her first big customer is Bridezilla herself (well actually its Bridezilla, Mother of the Bride). Who turns up dead and how Jennifer begins to build a clientele of friends and sleuths makes for a fun read. The digital edit was awful though and I certainly hope its cleaned up in the next book. I'll give them one more chance!
Barbara Tobey
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bridezillas?

Pleasant cozy mystery with a card making shop as its base location. Nice card making tips included. Light mystery and fun reading. Good family interactions and relationships. I was given a copy by the most recent publisher for review. It seemed familiar as I was reading it, but I had to continue to the end to see whodunnit.
Nadine
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jennifer is an independent young adult trying to make it on her own with a new greeting card-making shop. She hears a murder over the phone and soon realizes that it was one of the bridesmaids for which she is designing and making the wedding invitations. Then she gets threatened and the pace really picks up. I think I'll check out the next book in the series!
Chi Dubinski
May 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Jennifer Shane opens up a card making shop in the same town where her sister owns a scrapbooking store and their brother is the sheriff. Customers are few and far between, so when she overhears a possible murder on the phone, she sets out to investigate. A cozy for those readers who enjoy hobby related mysteries.
Jenn
Oct 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
I'm not a huge fan of card decorating although I have some friends who do a really great job. But I really enjoyed this mystery and getting to know the whole family. The town sounds very quaint and I'd love to visit and shop there.
Kelly
Jan 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book and will continue on with the series when I find the rest.
Diane
Nov 17, 2009 rated it liked it
cute. I will bread another one.
Marci
Apr 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: scrapbooking
Cute book for an easy reading mystery!
Kay (Brigidsmomma) Compton
This was really good! Myers is an excellent writer, and this is one more that is just an all around great read! Can't wait to see where this series takes us!
Kel
Sep 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A "cozy" mystery I downloaded for free on my ereader. The Aunt is my favorite character.
Patti Smith
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Just an OK mystery.
Cheryl
This book was okay. I'm not sure whether I will look for others in this series or not.
Rebecca
Aug 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Owner of card making store solves a murder
Erin
Jul 09, 2010 rated it liked it
I picked this up at the library because it has to do with card making, my all consuming hobby. I laughed out loud at a few spots, chuckled at the card references and skimmed most of the book.
Lori Lyn
Jul 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Another seriesthat is good for an evening of light reading
Shannon
Aug 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: card makers/crafters
Really fun book with enjoyable characters.
Audrey
Dec 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, series, adult
Plot is trite, as expected, but it's cute. The card-making theme is more fun than the actual mystery, but it's nice brain candy.
Claire Cole
eh it was just fine it wasnt great and i certainly dont want to read the rest of the series
Lisa
Oct 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Super cute card making mystery series. Not a literary masterpiece, but a cute, fun and fast read.
Feb 17, 2015
Denise Pappu
Dec 07, 2014
Hilary
rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2010
  • At Wick's End (Candlemaking Mystery #1)
  • Pasta Imperfect (Passport to Peril, #3)
  • Wreath of Deception (Craft Corner, #1)
  • Dolly Departed (Gretchen Birch, #3)
  • Murder on the Menu (A Cooking Class Mystery, #2)
  • French Polished Murder (A Daring Finds Mystery, #2)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • Murder in Miniature (Miniature Mystery, #1)
  • Getting Old Is a Disaster (Gladdy Gold, #5)
  • The Cold Light of Mourning (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #1)
  • 'Til Dice Do Us Part (Bunco Babes Mystery, #2)
  • Death Takes a Honeymoon (Carnegie Kincaid, #4)

A pseudonym used by Tim Myers

Series:
* A Card Making Mystery
More about Elizabeth Bright...

A Cardmaking Mystery (3 books)
  • Deadly Greetings (A Card Making Mystery, #2)
  • Murder and Salutations (A Card Making Mystery, #3)