Start by marking “Punisher: Dark Reign” as Want to Read:
Punisher: Dark Reign

Punisher: Dark Reign

(The Punisher (2009) #1-5)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  390 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The fight against the Dark Reign begins as the duty of chronicling Frank Castle's war journal is passed to the new regular team of writer Rick Remender (End League, Fear Agent) and Jerome Opeña (Wolverine, Fear Agent).
One man with one bullet, in the right place, at the right time, can change the world. That's why the Punisher is perched atop a building on the Jersey shore
Published September 2nd 2009 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Punisher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Punisher

James DeSantis
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
So odd coming from Max to this. It's like all the grit and blood and "fucks" are gone...Well I mean they are but yeah...okay anyway...

So first issue starts off with a bang. No really. Frank tries to snipe Osborn as he becomes president of the united states. Sentry stops it and then chases Frank down. This leads to some epic shit which eventually leads to Osborn hiring The Hood (people really loved this guy around this time) to hunt down the Punisher. This is basically a cat and mouse game throug
Scott S.
Adequate time killer about the rough-and-tough killer, seen here squaring off with some super-powered foes (?) in the dark streets of NYC as well as joining with a new 'guy in the chair' ally named Henry. While it's usually entertaining to read about the Timex wristwatch ("it takes a licking and keeps on ticking") of vigilantes, this story had little to recommend other than a few good scenes and Castle's thought boxes, which referenced everything from the Revolutionary War to Sun Tzu.
Jedhua
Aug 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Book Info: This collection contains Punisher issues #1-5.

ABSOLUTE RATING: {3+/5 stars}

STANDARDIZED RATING: <3/5 stars>

"In war, there are no rules. Two hundred years ago, the British army learned this fact the hard way. Courtesy of a bunch of guys who picked up their guns, ran into a bush, and spanked their pale, tea-sipping asses. That's where the caped crowd always misses the point. Some enemies you charge head-on. Others you shoot through the head with a high-powered Skrull sniper rifl
Gavin
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5+ stars.

Rick Remender and Jerome Opena! One of my fave teams, like Brubaker and Philips.

Frank begins the book aiming to assassinate Norman Osborn, only to have the bullet from his Skrull sniper rifle snatched away millimetres from Normie by Sentry.

Cue Frank getting his ass handed to him. This led to his running into help from a new Ally, Henry, a young hacker.

They take down Osborn's interests publicly, changing public perception against Normie. Osborn lets the Hood loose against him, but he's
Fugo Feedback
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rebootistas perennes
Recommended to Fugo by: Que estaba a mano
Creo que de nuevo le estoy tomando idea a los comics de superhéroes "comerciales y cumplidores", que son adjetivos que perfectamente se le pueden aplicar a este tomo. Leyendo este nuevo re-re-relanzamiento de Punisher (personaje que si existiera en el mundo real me parecería nefasto pero que en los comics le encuentro cierta gracia), sentí que no la pasé mal cuando me metí en sus páginas, pero me molestó ir previendo cómo iban a darse las cosas, y que quieran hacerme creer que ahora sí que está ...more
Zack! Empire
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: marvel-comics
I'm usually a big fan of Rick Remender. I've enjoyed his X-Force work, his Captain America stuff, and I loved the Uncanny Avengers series. But this just didn't do it for me. Maybe it's because I'm just not a huge fan of the Punisher. As a kid who grew up reading comics in the 90's I can't help but know who he is. And maybe I even feel some nostalgia for him because of that. But this was all just so blah, blah, blah. It's all just surface and no depth.
The covers all being Homages to classic Puni
Mike
May 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Remender writes a fast-paced, man-of-few-words Punisher story like I've come to expect from the best like Ennis and Fraction. Great, dark and action-friendly art. The only drawback to this Dark Reign story is, as with the rest of these stories from the grand crossover, the meta storyline (Osborn as world ruler) doesn't move an inch forward. As part of the new dark Marvel universe tho, this is an instant classic.
Martin
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is another book I can read over and over. It's witty, full of cool action set-pieces, and it doesn't let up for five full issues. It's a great start to Remender's run on the title with eye-popping art (and explosions!). Great escapist fun.
Sonic
Apr 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really wanted this book when I first saw it, but the cover was so lame I just couldn't do it. Then I saw it at Half-Price-Books and so I had to get it. And it was much fun! And the artist inside is much better than the artist they used for the covers.
Christopher
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Punisher: Dark Reign is a graphic novel that collects issues 1-5 of the 2008 Punisher series written by Rick Remender and with art by Jerome Opeña (with colors done by Dan Brown, probably not to be confused with the author of The Da Vinci Code). The story centers on Frank Castle (also known as the eponymous Punisher) trying to take down the corrupt Norman Osborne and, in the process, finding himself the target of the merciless supervillain the Hood. He also finds an ally in a young man named Hen ...more
Jimbo
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Nothing special about this story, but it is entertaining enough for a low 3 start rating.

It has a lot of super heroes and super powers. That took away from the story because there is no reason The Punisher would not have been easily killed by one of the super villains. So that made it kind of annoying for me. But otherwise, if you can handle an ex-Marine beating Superman in a fight, then the story is pretty decent.
Eric Mikols
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: punisher
If ever there was time the Punisher would feel needed, it's during the Dark Reign era of Marvel. Though, there's a surprising lack of the Dark Avengers. Instead, there's a lot of the Hood and this is the only time he's ever interested me as a character. Such a step-up from the previous, Civil War-centered series, both is writing and art.
Darkcharade
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A solid interesting story that showcases action and the characters' personality well. The big negatives would be that there really isn't a conclusion or even a culminating show off between the antagonists and Frank.
Roger Royer
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books in the Dark Reign collections that I have read so far. It has all the details that could make it a classic Punisher story in one place and it does it while making the reader uncomfortable and happy with the story at the same time. Just awesome work.
Joey
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first issue of this volume features the Punisher facing the Sentry, and it's one of my favorite single issues. Total thrill-ride!
Nathan
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Do you hate that pr*ck Norman Osborn? Well, so does the Punisher! If you were looking for a comic book packed with action yet still retains some cerebral qualities then this is the story line for you. It features a lot of action with some very smart writing (Thanks Rick!) and great artwork (Thanks Jerome!). I like the idea of the Punisher going toe-to-toe with super-heroes but it never made sense in the past, he just ran around shooting and blowing stuff up. This time he goes up against the Sent ...more
Sean
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75 really
Silas
Jan 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I haven't really read any Punisher comics before. I more or less know his origin, and he has shown up here and there, but I have never been all that keen on picking up his stories. I had these in my library, and there is a big sale on Punisher stuff at the moment on comixology, so I figured I'd see if I was interested enough to pick up more. I liked how this story tied in to the Dark Reign event, and had him interacting with some characters that I recognized, and the story is concise and has a l ...more
Craig
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Some excellent artwork on display in this volume. I also like the idea of the Punisher as a fallible human being, rather than the emotionless super-killer that Garth Ennis developed him into. Here, he welcomes the assistance of a computer hacker who gets him out of tight corners, etc. The story might have used a bit more focus--the villain was supposed to be Norman Osborn, but he's out of the way very quickly and then the Hood takes center stage. Still, this was enjoyable, especially the tricky ...more
Matt
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me just start by saying that Opena's art is gorgeous. So that's out of the way. Remender does a great job with this comic, amping up the pace and the beginning and never letting it slacken. Frank's war against Osborn and the Hood is great fun to read, and it really takes off when he starts using other MU-specific weapons (especially his Ant-Man helmet with the skull painted on it). Just awesome stuff.
Martin
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Remenderův Punisher je vynikající. Chytrý, vtipný, násilný a má ambice. Začíná duelem s Bohem. Hned v úvodu má Frank v hledáčku Normana Osborna, ale ... ale Sentry. Následná honička patří k tomu nejlepšímu co v rámci série vyšlo a Marvelovský ekvivalent Supermana vymáčkne z Punishera maximum. Zbytek knihy se veze ve znamení kydání hnoje na Osborna a konfrontace s Hoodem. Tenhle kousek obsahuje i památnou scénu s pizzou, ze které vyleze Ant-Punisher. Paráda.
Shannon Appelcline
Mar 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
Seeing the Punisher continuing to interact with the Marvel universe is definitely enjoyable, but this volume has several flaws, including: several middle issues that are just long fights, the general understanding that the Punisher won’t be able to do anything against these major figures in the Marvel universe, and a plotline that just stops dead.
Mark Desrosiers
Nov 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Frank Castle stumbles upon a new volunteer Microchip, this time a Henry Rollins fanatic of some sort. Which means he has principles too, right? Great action, and I love Dan Brown's imaginative approach to colors here.
Dmitry Yakovenko
Feb 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Довольно интересная история, серьезная и мрачная, как раз такая, какой и должна быть история о Карателе. Немного огорчают неровности в сюжете и среднее качество рисунка, но плюсов все же больше чем минусов. Поэтому почитать стоит, но ничего сверхъестественного ожидать не стоит.
Timo
Mar 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Nice gritty but realistic art that carried this thing forward. I just do not care to see Punisher in the Marvel Universe, clowning around with superhumans, using futuristic gun superhuman accessories. He is not the Punisher I love.
But still, Remender writes nice fast paced superhero story.
Davy
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Dark Reign tie-in continues from the (very dissapointing) Secret Invasion tie-in: the Punisher is aiming his Skrull-gun to Norman Osborn. But Osborn has a lot of protection, so soon Frank get's the Sentry and the Hood after him. A hard battle to fight !
Karl
Feb 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: to-sell
Interesting take on the Punisher, assumes prior knowledge of Dark Reign storyline. Hardcover Premiere Edition. Great condition. $5.
Devin Bruce
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Last read: June 8, 2012.
Matthew Ledrew
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel
Was a solid 4 star all the way until issues #6, when the storytelling art took a nose-dive and then ended on a to be continued. Brings it down to a 3 at least.
Maximus
  • Daredevil, Volume 15: The Devil, Inside and Out, Volume 2
  • The Punisher MAX, Vol. 11: Girls in White Dresses
  • Incredible Hulk, Volume 1: Son of Banner
  • The Thanos Imperative
Rick Remender is an American comic book writer and artist who resides in Los Angeles, California. He is the writer/co-creator of many independent comic books like Black Science, Deadly Class, LOW, Fear Agent and Seven to Eternity. Previously, he wrote The Punisher, Uncanny X-Force, Captain America and Uncanny Avengers for Marvel Comics.

The Punisher (2009) (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Punisher (2009-2010) #1