Start by marking “The Christmas Magic” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Magic

The Christmas Magic

Far, far North, when the nights are longest and the stars shine brightest, Santa begins to prepare for his big night of giving. He gathers his reindeer, feeds them parsnips and berries, and polishes his bells and his sled. Then lovingly, he chooses toys for every child in the world. For Santa loves them all, and he knows what each child at heart wants most. Then, with the
Published September 1st 2009 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Magic

Calista
I feel the artwork is beautiful and amazing in this little book. The artwork conveys a sense of waiting and wonder and a knowing something special is coming. It has a fuzzy dreamlike quality to it.

The story is about Santa and how he feels the magic of Christmas is coming as he is getting ready. It's a good story, it's simply not the most original story.

The kids both enjoyed this story. The nephew gave it 4 stars while the niece gave it 3 stars. They did wonder where the elves where. He seems so
Abigail
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jon Muth Fans / Readers Who Love Magical Santa Claus Stories
When Santa feels that special tingling in his whiskers, one starry night, he knows that the Christmas Magic is on its way, and he begins to prepare for that extraordinary night, when he visits the children of the world. Calling in the reindeer from the snowy fields, and grooming their coats; polishing his bright red sleigh, and the jingly bells on his harness; darning his warmest socks, and trimming his beard and mustache; and finally, most importantly of all, ascending to the highest room in th ...more
Lisa Vegan
Dec 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christmas reading for kids who are flexible about their perceptions about Santa Claus
Magical!

I read this book because it’s illustrated by Jon J. Muth, and the pictures are wondrous. Santa does not look like most Santas, except for the white beard, and there are no elves, etc. But I loved the illustrations here. I particularly loved the reindeer, especially the young indoor one, and love that Santa has a cat, and loved the huge sack of toys, etc.

The story is loving and gentle, and should enchant children, as long as they can disregard some of their preconceptions about Santa Clau
Kathryn
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! From the gentle Santa, who seems like just a kindly old man working in his home in the woods, to the beautiful transformation on Christmas. I love that Christmas is what brings the magic! The text, the illustrations, all pitch-perfect. One of my favorite Christmas picture books this season.
Heather
Dec 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
Andrea
Dec 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
babyhippoface
As Christmas Eve draws near, Santa gathers the reindeer, polishes the big red sleigh, bags up the toys, trims his mustache, and waits for the magic to come. Jon Muth's illustrations offer a Santa with a different look: there is no round belly, he wears bunny slippers, and he's dressed in blue. There are no elves and no workshop; Santa lives alone and keeps a room full of toys to deliver. Despite the rather lonely feel, the language is occasionally lovely, and the sentimental story will appeal to ...more
Denise みか Hutchins
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I spotted The Christmas Magic at a local used book store, seemingly (living up to its title) by magic: despite it being stored on the bottom shelf, halfway behind another tome, the beautiful cover caught my eye. I have a small collection of Christmas books and I love illustrated children's books (I still have many from my own childhood) so I couldn't resist this pretty specimen. After reading it two times, it became clear that the artwork is really what makes this book special. The writing is de ...more
Jackie
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In our truest heart-of-hearts, this is how we all envision Santa...a simple man who loves all children. From his fuzzy bunny slippers, to his unruly moustache and beard, and his cozy cottage nestled in the pure Northern snow, this Santa waits until the magic has come. Reindeer fly, the sack is packed, and off they travel into Christmas Eve night to delight children everywhere.

I can just picture mom, dad, grandma, or grandpa in a big chair with a special child on their lap reading The Christmas
Meredith
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, christmas
This is a lovely book. It tells the story of Santa as he quietly prepares for Christmas. He isn't a jolly old elf, ho-ho-ho-type of Santa, but more of a solitary (very...there's no Mrs. Claus present in the story. Santa darns his own wool socks. Only the reindeer keep him company.), subdued, contemplative, European wizard. In fact, I think I liked this book all the more for this reason. The upstairs room in his house where he keeps the toys is quite spare, yet there is a single, special, thought ...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This book is such a delight and I'm sure one that will be treasured for years to come. It has beautiful illustrations as the book takes us on a journey of how Santa Claus goes about getting ready for Christmas. He starts to prepare on a chilly northern night when he feels the magic of Christmas will be arriving soon. He calls the reindeer home and gets them ready. He prepares his big, red sleigh, and double checks the names in his name book. He gathers the toys and loads in them in the sleigh. O ...more
Stacy Renee  (LazyDayLit)
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a nice little story about how Santa prepares for Christmas; from gathering his reindeer, darning his socks, and filling his sack with toys. I thought it was nice that it seemed to show Santa as a normal human being doing mostly normal things. Except he can FEEL the stir of magic in the air that will make his reindeer fly so he can deliver toys. It was nice to see him as a pretty normal guy rather than some magical wizard or something. The painted illustrations are also pretty nice.
Ryan
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some holiday books are filled with fun, or filled with heart, this one is filled with magic. It’s a slow build as Santa prepares for the magic to come his way. He shines the shed, readies the presents, and finally he feels the magic tingle, and away he files in the night to share that magic with the world. A simple and wonderful story for the holidays.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Dec 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Loved Santa in his bunny slippers. Illustrations are gorgeous.
Andréa
Beautiful illustrations.
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Short enough for storytime, large enough to be seen by the kids in the back, nice pictures.
Katie Lewis theriault
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very sweet, quiet way to write the Christmas eve story of Santa.
Kat
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Meh. Nothing special. While I liked the idea the writing lacked the eloquence or beauty or poetic feel needed to make a great story.
Teri
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked the story and LOVE the illustrations. It is illustrated by Jon J Muth who also illustrated my favorite poetry book for children "A Family of Poems" by Caroline Kennedy. A story of Santa Claus and the magic of Christmas.
Kirsten Murphy
Beautiful illustrations and poetically descriptive text are absolutely captivating.

Perfect for picture walk and sharing beautifully crafted text.
Patricia (Patricia's Particularity)
Santa Clause patiently awaits for the Christmas Magic to arrive. From the moment he feels a little tingle in his whiskers, he prepares. Santa Clause cleans his red sleigh until it shines, brushes and feeds his reindeer, checks on the toys and finds joy in reading all the names of the boys and girls, knowing what each one wants the most for Christmas. And of course, Santa Clause fills his bag with all the toys, until he can barely close it.

Jon Muth's watercolor images are absolutely gorgeous, and
Patricia Mckelvy

Jon Muth’s watercolor images are absolutely gorgeous, and
John
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiday, 2011
Teachers are famous for visiting the library on the first Monday of December to check out holiday and winter books. The first-grade teachers will check out books about St. Lucia's Day, Kwanzaa, Christmas, and Hanukkah. I display holiday books and book talk from the holiday displays, but my students tend not to check out holiday books. I'm not sure why. Well, the first teacher or student who looks at the holiday display tomorrow morning will hear about Lauren Thompson's The Christmas Magic. We wi ...more
Melissa
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Times 100!

Oh, how I love this wonderful Christmas book! If you are looking for a bright red, mall Santa, red-nosed reindeer, comical elves, "Ho-ho-ho!" kind of Christmas tale - this is not it. Thank goodness!

In this lovely book, Santa is preparing for the night the Christmas magic comes, in a calm, quiet, very practical day-to-day way. The watercolor illustrations are incredible! They are the perfect accompaniment to the story's subtle prose. In a worl
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it
I picked up this book because of the Jon J Muth illustrations. For some reason this story didn't shine as much as his others I've read. The story had a sweet message, but seemed a little unrealistic in parts. Maybe I'm just supposed to assume that Santa has magic like Mary Poppins or something, but I was expecting to see an over-abundance of toys/stuff and most of the illustrations were really subdued. Kids will probably still enjoy the premise, I just won't be reading again though.

*Taken from m
Katieb (MundieMoms)
Heather
Dec 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
“Every year, just when the nights are longest and the stars shine brightest, Santa feels a tingling in his whiskers. Then he knows that the Christmas magic will soon be here.” Quietly, Santa prepares for the magic by brushing and feeding his reindeer, dusting off his big red sleigh, polishing his boots, darning his socks, and of course, combing his curly white beard. The quiet domesticity of this gentle Santa is poignantly illustrated by Muth’s soft watercolors. The whimsical pictures depict the ...more
Rebecca
This could easily become my favorite Christmas picture book. Jon J Muth's watercolors are luminous, with compositions and angles reminiscent of Lisbeth Zwerger's fairy tales. Lauren Thompson's poetic view of Santa Claus will touch your heart (especially if your heart cringes at mall Santas and Tim Allen movies).
Jana
Beautiful watercolor illustrations really help tell this magical account of how Santa and his reindeer prepare for Christmas when they first begin to feel “the magic.” This would be a fun one to compare to Marla Frazee’s book, Santa Claus the World’s Number One Toy Expert.
Kristine Hansen
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There is a certain austere loneliness to this version of Santa Claus. But the beauty and joy of the story comes through in such magnificent illustration that I can't help but be moved. This is one of my favorite Christmas books of the year.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Santa Claus the World's Number One Toy Expert
  • Great Joy
  • Little Santa
  • A Christmas Tree for Pyn
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas
  • Song of the Stars: A Christmas Story
  • Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
  • Peter Spier's Christmas!
  • Night Tree