Start by marking “Too Big to Miss (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Too Big to Miss (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #1)

Too Big to Miss (An Odelia Grey Mystery #1)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  1,614 Ratings  ·  206 Reviews
Too big to miss--that's Odelia Grey. A never-married, middle-aged, plus-sized woman who makes no excuses for her weight, she's not super woman just a mere mortal standing on the precipice of menopause, trying to cruise in an ill-fitting bra. She struggles with her relationships, her crazy family, and her crazier boss. And then there''s her knack for being in close proximit ...more
Published September 27th 2006 by Hard Shell Word Factory (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Too Big to Miss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Big to Miss

Marfita
Jun 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fat, middle-aged paralegals
Shelves: mysteries
Disclaimer: I'm fat, middle-aged, and a former paralegal.
I devoured this in one day. Most of the ickier bits (the death is a gritty one that's revisited through retrieved screen captures) I skimmed over. Jaffarian has created some interesting characters, many of them plus-sized which is nice to see. The mystery was a good one and there is a spot of romance, where Jaffarian falls into the fatal blunder of making the sex "the best [Odelia] ever had." Writing like that makes me want to bang my hea
Rajan
Very ironic and funny:

"From the first time Adam noticed shrinkage and explained it to Eve, men have been trying to tell women that size didn't matter when it came to their manhood. Small penis. Big penis. Made no difference. Both were good. The same men have been telling women that size does matter when it comes to breasts, butts and hips. To add to the confusion, big and small could also be good and bad at the same time. Big smile good. Big ass bad. Small waist good. Small tits bad.
     It was
Olivia
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So, this one is quite difficult to review... I really liked the premise - larger, middle-aged woman who was comfortable in her own skin investigating the mysterious death of her good friend.

But it just wasn't terribly enjoyable. I wanted to get to the end so that it would be over! I couldn't just put it down without knowing the conclusion... but getting there was painful.

There was just too much extraneous description. So much fluffing wasn't necessary - I really don't need to know EVERY small de
Morgan
I'm usually not too big on the whole cozy mystery thing, but something about this one just hit the right buttons and had enough in the way of humor to get me through. A cool dog and grumpy cat didn't hurt things either.

Odelia is overweight, middle-aged, and happily single and all of those things seem to be pretty rare in a lot of books. Now, there is some romance in the series, but Odelia isn't absolutely dying for companionship. She has her best friend, her bestie's husband and kids who all tre
Lauren
Apr 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining read. Read the books out of order and it may have increased my liking this book. I like our intrepid protagonist - Odelia is plus-sized paralegal who stumbles upon a suicide that turns into a murder. Some of the outside plot details are a little outrageous. I like the sweet love story, the friendship, and the description. Our author is a fan of the details. Not bogging you down details but little throw aways that make the read enjoyable.

Not the tightest of tales but entertaining.
Betsy
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great start to the Odelia Grey series! The book had me right from the start. A perfectly written character who is thoroughly entertaining. I cannot wait to read more in the series. 4 stars
Ellen
A gifted author-Bravo, October 9, 2011
By Ellen Rappaport
This review is from: Too Big to Miss (The Odelia Grey Mysteries) (Paperback)
I've previously read 2 of Jaffarians other series and loved them. This was my first book in her Ophelia Grey series and Jaffarian does it again. This author included all the characters most writers wouldn't dare to include. Thank-you Sue Ann for your consideration of all of us.
This story opened up more of each character with each passing page. I became one of t
Judy
Oct 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh yes, Odelia Grey is large--like 5'1" and 215 pounds. She is also middle aged and the way she looks at it, if you don't like it, you can kiss her big you-know-what. Odelia is comfortable in her own skin, however, she would like to be able to stand up for herself more. In her professional life, Odelia is a corporate paralegal who is highly regarded within her law firm--which leads to her being assigned to an attorney she can't stand. She also has relationship issues, a family that is beyond dys ...more
Elaine
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this one. And that says a lot.

Instead of the svelte beauties typical of murder investigations in this genre, we have an overweight perhaps average-looking woman in Odelia trying to piece together an apparent suicide of her close friend Sophie.

Not only is inspirational and successful Sophie one of the last persons one would expect to commit suicide, there are other details about her that only come to surface after her death, throwing Odelia into a tailspin.

There’s much suspense i
Sandy
This book was a free kindle download and I had never heard of it, so I didn't come into it with any particular expectations. But I like mysteries, so why not?

I was quite pleasantly surprised - this was a fun read. I liked the characters, I thought the plot was interesting, and the whole background - the relationship of overweight women to society - was so true!

Another thing I enjoyed was the relationship between the amateur detectives and the police. The primary police officer on the case was sm
Linda
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever since I read two of the later books in this series I've been eager to find earlier titles. This is book #1. In it we meet Odelia Grey, a 40 something single paralegal who is a plus-sized sassy woman. In this first story Odelia gets involved in the whys of the suicide of her good friend, Sophie London, a large beautiful woman who is the advocate for overweight women everywhere. But something doesn't seem right that confident Sophie would kill herself, even though she did so on camera in fron ...more
Shawn Elisabeth
I enjoyed this murder mystery. Odelia Grey is a great character. I loved that she is plus sized. I felt that Sue Ann Jaffarian had the insecurities of a plus size woman down pat. Even though I figured out who down it halfway into the book; I still was not sure until the end. There are alot of suspects that I was left wondering to the end. I loved this positive role model for women of any size and of any age. I have the next book in this series on order at the libray and I can't wait to get.
Jan
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting start to a series. I just saw it at the library and decided to try it on a whim.

Odelia Grey is a large lady, a paralegal whose best friend has just committed suicide. Odelia doesn't think he friends would have done that and so starts digging into her friend's background. She uncovers a large can of worms - adult websites, sleezy businesses and practices, prostitution - and finally sorts out what happened.

The characters were very good, and there was quite a bit of humor
Diane
Sep 12, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was at a BBW Bash, and happened to meet the author. In fact, after I bought a copy of her book and had her sign it for me, I won another during a lecture she was giving. Luckily for me, the copy that was later stolen was NOT the signed one!

I haven't gotten to read her other books yet, but they are on my list of books to get soon!

–--------------------------------------

Since I wrote this review in 2007, I've read each "Odelia" and "Granny Apples" books as they came out. I still love them, and wi
Jan 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, Was I surprised by this book! This is the first of a series of 4 by author-Sue Ann Jaffarian and boy was I on end trying to discover "who dun it", in fact I even tried reading the end of the book and the answer wasn't at the end but mixed-up or mixed with the "near end?"
Anyhow...I was impressed!
Maria
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paralysis-sci
A really good read. I liked the main and secondary characters - many seem the kind of people you usually meet -, the humour, the focus on a variety of feelings and emotions that surpasses the romantic couple.
The heroine and the hero, both physically not according to the canon, are witty and heartwarming and very interesting from the human point of view.
Sue Ross
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good I had to read the second one....Bet you can't read just one.
Rachel
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this mystery series. Odelia makes me giggle :)
Moondance
My weekend was D.O.A....dead on arrival.

Odelia Grey is a single, middle-aged, plus-sized paralegal who learns that a close friend has committed suicide. Sophie London was a larger than life advocate for plus size women who had a secret life. Odelia is stunned by Sophie's death and begins investigating the twists and turns that led to the suicide.

Good grief! I don't know why it took me so long to start this series. I love Odelia! She is smart and funny with just enough snark. She is a true and lo
Rosana Adler
Tres estrellas.

De 0 a 10: 6,5

Opinión:

Protagonista y circunstancias poco convencionales, ligero toque de humor, misterio bien llevado, quizá el final es demasiado convencional, con algunas cosas previsibles, sobre todo al llegar a cierto punto, aunque la autora intenta desviar la atención hacia un personaje concreto.

El romance entre Odile y uno de los hombres de la novela (todos guapos, qué suerte) tiene detalles poco habituales, tanto como que la protagonista sea una mujer gorda de 45 años.

La es
dOnnabud lewis
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The plot is thick with humor and intrigue, with an unlikely pair of sleuths solving a series of mysteries. It's a fun read.

Favorite passages (2009 paperback edition):
"Stunned, I sat in the leather conference room chair like a piece of petrified wood." (page 19)

"It was a gob of grief, sitting just over my heart; a big, solid wad of pain and emotions that would have to come out sooner or later, like a hairball." (page 43)

LVLMLeah
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery, mature
I really liked this book. Odelia is a character I could get into. She's a reluctant detective but finding out what happened to her friend pushes her into a world she never expected.

Liked she's a big girl and comfortable in her skin.

It was a good mystery. Flowed well. I actually wanted to get the next book when this was done. Unfortunately none of the next are in audio so I haven't.

Narrator did a great job on this book.
Kimberley Cornwell
I have picked up, started, put down this series many times. This is the first time that I read book 1 completely through. Overall, I did enjoy it, it was well written and as someone who has struggled with my weight my entire life, it is nice to read a protagonist who struggles with the same issue. I must confess that this first installment didn't leave me wanting to read the next book in the series. I am not sure why-- I will revisit but just now right away.
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best cozies I have ever read. The series is a delight and each book is laugh out loud fun. Odelia Grey is my favorite protagonist. The author has a exemplary writing style that entices the reader to not put the book down until the end ! This series is humor, fun, good mysteries and characters you want to be friends with. I am re reading the entire series its so good.
Kathy
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first of an intriguing mystery series involving Odelia Grey who is trying to come to terms with the death of a close friend, Sophie. Sophie’s death is posted on the Internet and ruled a suicide. The book introduces friends of both women and the efforts of those friends to come to terms with Sophie’s death.
Karissa
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-2017
Odelia Grey is in her mid-forties and overweight. She works as a paralegal at a law office and has pretty much given up on finding love. Odelia's world is rocked when her best friend, Sophie London commits suicide. The two women teamed together to work on a website for larger women, a group where women could get together to just talk about life instead of the latest diet fad. A group where women helped each other. After learning that Sophie ran a sex website - a site where she set up a web camer ...more
Carol
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story. I was hoping for a little more humor. I enjoy the way Odelia Gray thinks, I've always wanted to be able to think outside the box. And I love their group, Reality Check, for being a support for all women that don't fit into the accepted norm of society.
Good enough to try the second book in the series.
Jill
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was drawn in from the very first paragraph that I swear describes the intersection a block away from where I used to live in Costa Mesa. This is not a terribly profound book but it was enjoyable nonetheless and I look forward to reading more in this series.
Josefa Wann
I read a few books by this author and have found them entertaining and funny. This was the first of the series and explains how she met Greg. I had wondered about that. Enjoyable.
Stacey
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit predictable but a fun read. I think the others in the series will be even better as she develops characters and relationships.
  • Just Desserts (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #1)
  • May Day (Murder-by-Month Mystery, #1)
  • The Cold Light of Mourning (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #1)
  • Lye in Wait (Home Crafting Mystery, #1)
  • For Better, for Murder (Broken Vows, #1)
  • Dying to Be Thin (A Fat City Mystery, #1)
  • Dressed to Keel (A Darcy Cavanaugh Mystery #1)
  • Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)
  • Dead Air (Talk Radio Mystery, #1)
  • A Killer Plot (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #1)
  • Organize Your Corpses (A Charlotte Adams Mystery, #1)
  • Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #1)
  • Flowerbed of State (A White House Gardener Mystery, #1)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
  • Thistle and Twigg (Thistle & Twigg Mystery, #1)
  • Murder on the Rocks (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #1)
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
Sue Ann Jaffarian is the author of the popular Odelia Grey mystery series, the Ghost of Granny Apples mystery series and the Madison Rose vampire mysteries, as well as short stories.

Sue Ann also writes the Winnie Wilde romance novellas.

Like the character Odelia Grey, Sue Ann Jaffarian is a middle-aged, plus-sized paralegal. She lives in Los Angeles.

In addition to writing, Sue Ann is sought after a
More about Sue Ann Jaffarian

An Odelia Grey Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Curse of the Holy Pail (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #2)
  • Thugs and Kisses (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #3)
  • Booby Trap (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #4)
  • Corpse on the Cob (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #5)
  • Twice As Dead (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #6)
  • Hide & Snoop (An Odelia Grey  mystery, #7)
  • Secondhand Stiff (An Odelia Grey Mystery #8)
  • Hell on Wheels (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #9)
  • A Body to Spare (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #10)
  • Rhythm & Clues (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrongful Death (David Sloane, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
    $7.99 $1.99
“Usually when I’m stressed, I’ll eat everything not nailed down. Only small children and family pets are safe. And okra—I won’t eat okra under any circumstances.” 2 likes
“It had been a fix-up, a blind date set up by a well-meaning skinny coworker who had no clue that most men in Southern California placed overweight women in the same category as serial killers and believed them worthy of the same punishment - the death penalty. I finally had given in to her assurances that this man and I had a lot in common. Which, sadly, we did. But I saw the look of disappointment on his face when he entered the restaurant and realized that I was his date. I had seen that look before. It was unmistakable disgust encased in civility. Like a dead fish wrapped in clean white butcher paper, the covering kept your hands from being soiled but could not stop the stink.” 2 likes