Start by marking “Dragonfire (Dragonfire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dragonfire (Dragonfire, #1)

Dragonfire (Dragonfire #1)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  31 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Known and loved by readers for her adventure stories wrapped around some of history's most fascinating and turbulent times, Karleen Bradford has this time written a rich and multi-layered fantasy.On one level, Dragonfire is the action-packed story of Dahl, a stable boy who must conquer the evil Usurper to regain his kingdom. At another level, Dragonfire represents a boy's ...more
Published September 14th 1998 by HarperTrophy (first published September 4th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Dragonfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragonfire

Me
May 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Predictable.

Clichés are one thing, and they are fine. However this book was nothing but predictable.

I knew the 'big reveal'. It didn't require any brain power on my part to figure it out. This 'big reveal' has happened so many times before. Plus we were given the tell-take signs that everyone uses. Done correctly this can actually be an interesting cliché. This wasn't done correctly.

When there's such a story like this that has been done a million times before characters are important. I didn'
Jay
I read this because as a junior high teacher, I'm more and more intrigued by young adult literature. What really drove me to pick this book was the fact that I had read it in my own grade 8 class. I had forgotten much of the plot but I remembered a few things (a boy and girl, a dragon, and some celtic-y style font on the cover). After meeting with friends from junior high, I was inspired to find this book again. Luckily, they remembered. Of the three of us, I remember liking it, one doesn't reme ...more
Katy
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who enjoy a good vs. evil fantasy story
Recommended to Katy by: JKS Communications
A unnamed stable boy, and his friend Catryn, a servant girl, are swept through a portal and back to the boy’s home world – Taun. The boy’s name is Dahl, and he is the rightful king of Taun, hidden away on Earth until he was discovered by the emissary of the Usurper. Now Dahl, along with his Protector – a shape-shifting wizard – and Catryn must find a way to defeat the Usurper and take back his kingdom, freeing his people from the bonds of evil and slavery.

This is a highly entertaining book, writ
Suzy Kennedy
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 3.5

A very enjoyable story about a boy finding his strength to take back his crown.

I found the paradigm that (view spoiler)

It was predictable in places, moved slow and took a while to ge
Mandiann
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is one I really enjoyed as a child.

While the main characters are aged 17, I feel this book is written for and better suited to a 12 year old. It was an enjoyable adventure but the reading level was fairly low, the book was a bit predictable and it left me with unanswered questions. That being said, it has a very positive message about accepting yourself (faults and all) and if it were possible to obtain books two and three, I would continue the series.
Allegra S
I am not usually one for fantasy novels, but this was on my school's reading list. This is a fantasy novel anyone can enjoy because the characters and their struggles are so relatable even though they are on an amazing other-world adventure. The writing is well-paced and keeps you turning the pages.
Katie Beetham
Jun 05, 2014
Paige
Jul 07, 2010
Jane
rated it did not like it
Jan 28, 2013
Apr 22, 2011
Helena
Dec 11, 2016

Dragonfire (3 books)
  • Whisperings of Magic (Dragonfire, #2)
  • Dragonmaster (Dragonfire, #3)