Start by marking “The Coven (Sweep, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Coven (Sweep, #2)

The Coven (Wicca #2)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  12,954 Ratings  ·  457 Reviews
I am not who I thought I was. I am not a regular sixteen-year-old girl. I am a witch. A real, ancestral witch. My parents are not my biological parents. My sister and I share no blood.

Even in the coven, I am too powerful now, too different to belong.

I am alone except for Cal. Cal tells me he loves me, and I need to believe him.
Published March 22nd 2007 by Speak (first published January 29th 2001)

This was an enjoyable story, and I liked finding out more about Morgan and who her ancestors were. Bree continued to be awful, and Morgan had to deal with quite a bit of jealousy. It did end on a bit of a cliff-hanger though.

6.5 out of 10
Abbie
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Morgan was an okay character in this, but most of the other characters annoyed me.

This was an alright read, but there were points where I felt quite bored. The length of the book stopped it from dragging too much though, thankfully.
Sanne
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Oooh book 3, gimme gimme
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5/5
I am in love with this series! This book was so great and I sped through it! The action picked up right where BOS ended and it got crazy and I love where the plot and character development is going.
Claire (bookscoffeeandrepeat)
I don't feel like reviewing this one.
I'll probably do a review from books 1-3 in my book blog.
Wren [t(he)y]
This review can also be found at http://fortheloveofbooksreviews.blogs...

Morgan is a blood witch with strong magickal powers and a personal tie to witchcraft. After Samhain, she and Cal become a couple and, as a result, she finds herself targeted by her former friend, Bree. Aside from all the drama between current and former coven members, Morgan has to deal with a startling revelation, a revelation that may change her life forever: she's adopted. But who were her biological parents? And are the
Whitney
Morgan gets deeper into the world of Wicca and begins to discover more about herself. With a shocking revelation about her family, Morgan's life is headed for a quick change.

Plot

There’s a tiny, little, itty-bitty making of an actual story in The Coven. Basically, Morgan’s found out some stuff about her family. Around eighty percent of the book is her angsting and generally being a giant brat to her parents. Eighteen percent is about more regurgitated, and probably false, information about Wicca.
Greta is Erikasbuddy
ZOMG WHAT A FREAKING AWESOME ENDING!!

I can't believe it ended like that! It makes me want to squee, sceam, and gasp!

Can I get at "tre' awesome" in the house?

"COVEN" picks up where "Book of Shadows" left off.

Morgan passed out, Cal picks her up, smoochy boochy, you're a blood witch.

But how is Morgan a blood witch? And what is a blood witch?

A blood witch is a person who is born with witch parents.

But Morgan's parents are like Dagwood and Blondie. Totally not very witchy. There is totally no Samant
Wendy
Jun 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book was a clear improvement over the first one. In this, Morgan confronts her parents about her status as a blood witch, or a genetic witch, and quickly finds out that she was adopted. Her search for information on her birth mother becomes an obsession just as her relationship with Cal is heating up. She is also feeling very conflicted about what happened with Bree but when she finds out that Bree and Raven are asking another witch for a "withering of love" spell, hse is shocked to find th ...more
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
So Cal finally kissed Morgan, his intentions and those of his mother are obviously not pure especially that we learn that Morgan is adopted, a Blood Witch and is descended from a very powerful clan.

Bree and Raven and many other girls hate Morgan who they view as less than them and wonder how she caught Cal, Morgan wonders about that as well, but her emotions blind her judgment.

The spell she worked on Robbie turns out to be amazing and her magick too powerful; her family doesn't accept that and d
Katrina
Jul 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-copies
Amber
Apr 28, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was not as good as the first book. I had a few problems with it, but i still enjoyed reading it.

The thing that I didn't like were the beginning of each chapter which all start with a part of the book of shadow from Morgans mother. I didn't find the little part interesting and most of them didn't really add much too the story.
I also didn't like the relationship between Cal and Morgan it just didn't feel real. They barely knew each other but they already started talking about being each
Lydia Wednesday
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: twilight fans
Pretty much all the same criticism as I gave for the Book of Shadows.

The only thing that makes this book at all interesting is the magic stuff. The Bree/Morgan feud is still extremely annoying. Mary Sue...I mean Morgan is still the the walking embodiment of the plain girl who becomes beautiful AFTER she takes off her glasses.

At least Cal listened to her when she said stop this time. Good job on character growth, Cal. Still think you're probably going to end up a bad guy, but we'll see.

Again,
Heartlessqueen
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Charlotte Phillips
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Aghhh, I can tell these short books are really going to have me gripped that I am already wondering how I will get some sleep because I find myself becoming addicted to the series. I don't think that this book was as good as the first one because the drama was missing, BUT the cliffhanger that it held and contained just meant that you got to the end of the novel and wanted to move instantly to the next one. I loved the fact that you seemed to see the evil sides of Bree and Raven in this book. In ...more
Natalia Paez
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
My rating for this Book is 4.3 stars.

La emoción existe por todos estos libros, bueno, en los dos únicos libros que he leído de Cate Tiernan u la saga de Sweep.

La historia de Morgan tiene muchos secretos ahora se sabe quien su madre biológica, al igual que su padre. Irlanda. El país donde toco comenzó y New York la ciudad donde todo termino. Creo que la intriga es lo que me mantiene fiel al libro y la historia. La intriga sobre lo que realmente están haciendo Raven y Bree ahora que han decidido d
TJ Day
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The character Bree is the reason I don't miss high school. I didn't like her from the beginning of Sweep number one, and I especially don't like her after reading this one. And I know she doesn't get better until later (and I still don't like her later either). I wish Morgan would see that she's better off without her like most readers can.

I love how Morgan feels hatred towards Skye and Hunter when she first meets them. It just sets up the next couple books perfectly. I love how she eludes to pe
Annette M Guerriero Nishimoto
Today's review is on The Coven by: Cate Tiernan

The Coven is the second book in the sweep series, and though I enjoyed reading it it was not as good as the first book, Book of Shadows.

The book begins each chapter with entries in the Book of Shadows of Morgan's mother then goes into the main story.

After finding out that she is a Blood Witch, Morgan gets the courage to confront her parents and find out why they have been keeping the fact that they are witches from her and her sister. In doing this
Gina's Library
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
I'm really enjoying this series.

In this book we find out the truth about Morgan's parents. She demands the truth from her adoptive parents and rightfully so. However it takes them a while to tell her the truth.

After finding out the truth she can now start to heal her broken relationship with her parents. I think they will end up being closer now.

We also see how far Bree with go with revenge. Cal is the first boy to ever reject Bree. It's very obvious she doesn't know how to deal with rejection
Cinthia
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ รђ๏รђคภคђ
So I picked up this book this afternoon, around 3. Took a 2 hour nap from 4-6. Picked it back up again and just finished it at 8pm. Yes, I am a fast reader, and it's a fairly short book, but that's not the point... I could NOT put this book down! Which is really odd because I had a very lukewarm reaction to the first Sweep book. This one was definitely much better and I definitely will be reading the rest.

In this book the story becomes much more interest8ing and the main character much more tol
Grits Helme
There's a little more tension, a little more drama, in this second volume of the series. Morgan finds out that she is adopted, and spends much of her time either obsessively tracking down information about her birth mother or being angry at her perfectly loving parents for "lying" to her for sixteen years.

Some mysterious characters appear—ones who may wish to do Morgan harm. We also begin to learn about Morgan's birth mother and her coven, the Belwicket coven, which was mysteriously wiped out so
Suzie
Just as I had anticipated, these books are being spread out into little novellas where they could easily and better served, to have been set up as one or two novels. But such is the curse of young adult fiction and the attention span of their target readers.

I am also finding that the plot is really thinning out substantially to be a witchy version of Twilight, and getting annoyed with Cal's preachy, constant "let me explain the wicky teachings of that" blah blah blah.

I will try just one more vol
Jan
These are my new favorite lunch books. In this second book, Morgan is learning more about her family and about her powers. She is a little pissy through a lot of the book, but she is going through a lot of issues so I cut her some slack for this book. Hopefully she will have her big girl panties on for the rest of the series. This is turning out to be quite a fun series. I expect much angst and drama in my future. Can't wait!
Jennifer Girard
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was a reread. I still love it. I think it's even better than the first book. I love to see Morgan learning how to deal with her new life. I can't wait to continue on !

C'était une relecture. Je l'aime toujours. Je crois que c'était même mieux que le premier tome. J'aime voir comment Morgan gère sa nouvelle vie. Je ne peux pas attendre pour continuer.
mai
Jul 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
this book was much better than book 2, and i read through it very quickly (a couple hours) and started book 3 immediately. there are some things i find annoying about the main character (why does she not tell people about things she sees and experiences?!), but i'm clearly hooked.
Ariane
Jan 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Irgendwie habe ich das Gefühl in diesem Teil ist kaum etwas passiert...
Wahrscheinlich hatte ich deshalb auch eine ganze Weile keine Lust weiterzulesen. Mal sehen, ob und wann ich mit der Reihe weitermache...
Tosha
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just love how cute and fast paced these are.
Stefanie
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It was awesome! I enjoyed it so much! It made me curious and I wanted to know what happened next. It is defenetly a pageturner!!!!
Book Discussions ...: * The Coven 1 3 Mar 12, 2013 02:15PM
  • Written in the Stars (Circle of Three, #12)
  • Witch Ball (The Seer, #3)
  • The Secret Scroll (Daughters of the Moon, #4)
  • Witches' Night of Fear
"was born in New Orleans, LA, in 1961. New Orleans is one of the most interesting American cities, and it has an incredibly rich and exotic culture that had a profound influence on me. Kids in other cities have lemonade stands; we sold voodoo gris-gris and made wax dolls in the likenesses of our enemies. It's a very beautiful city, and the constant heat and humidity make gardens grow out of contro ...more
More about Cate Tiernan

Wicca (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Book of Shadows (Sweep, #1)
  • Blood Witch (Sweep, #3)
  • Dark Magick (Sweep, #4)
  • Awakening (Sweep, #5)
  • Spellbound (Sweep, #6)
  • The Calling (Sweep, #7)
  • Changeling (Sweep, #8)
  • Strife (Sweep, #9)
  • Seeker (Sweep, #10)
  • Origins (Sweep, #11)

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
  • Uprooted
  • This Is Where It Ends
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
    $9.99 $1.99
“Sorry." he said, rubbing his temples. "Do you have any Tylenol?"
"Nope, sorry. Your doctor's appointment is today right?"
"Yeah."
"Here take this." Jenna rummaged in her purse and took out two tablets.
Robbie squinted at them, then tossed them down with the rest of his soda. "What was that?"
"Cyanide." said Sharon, and we laughed.
"Actually, it was Midol." Jenna said.
Matt whooped with laughter as Robbie gaped at her in dismay.
"It'll really help." Jenna insisted. "It's what I take for my headaches."
"Oh man." Robbie shook his head. I was almost doubled over with laughter.
"Look at it this way," said Cal brightly. "You won't get that awful bloated feeling."
"You'll feel pretty all day." suggested Matt, laughing so hard, he had to wipe his eyes.”
22 likes