Start by marking “Borrowed Light” as Want to Read:
Borrowed Light

Borrowed Light

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  417 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Sixteen-year-old Callisto May feels a deep connection to astronomy, but feels completely alone on planet Earth. Now that she's pregnant, her loneliness is acute. She can't turn to her mother, her father, or even her surfer boyfriend. Only Callisto's little brother loves her unfailingly, but she can't be there for him right now. She's got to make a huge decision--and that m ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published February 12th 2002 by Laurel Leaf (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Borrowed Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Borrowed Light

Rima BH
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. It was kind of good. It had some funny moments. At the end I didn't know if she was going to go through with it or not.. but it was a bit boring..
My favorite character was Jeremy ..
Anna Motteler
Mar 10, 2010 rated it liked it
I don't know why, I just didn't really like this book. I thought as I was reading it that it was going to get a lot better, but it never did. Seemed to get worse.
Sara
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
«Ho cominciato a dividere la razza umana in stelle e lune fin da quando ho cominciato a leggere il cielo. Io sono una luna. Se anche voi siete una luna come me, non produrrete mai una luce tutta vostra. La prenderete in prestito. Farete un sacco di gesti compiacenti, come sorridere troppo e scodinzolare. Ed è stato proprio il fatto di vivere di riflesso che mi ha messo in questo guaio.»

Di luce riflessa è la storia di Callisto May, una ragazzina che ha ereditato dalla nonna Ruth una grande pa
Kaitlyn
Dec 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
I really loved this book. The ending was what got me. I personally love books with minimal plot and alot of character development and that's exactly what this book had. There are some seriously brilliant points but there are some seriously dumb parts too. It wasn't amazing but I really did love it and I would recommend it
ALPHAreader
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, cover-love
Anna Fienberg’s 'Borrowed Light' is one of the most heartbreakingly beautiful books about teen pregnancy I’ve ever read.
Nomes
Jun 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Arminzerella
Jun 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: astronomy
Callisto divides everyone into stars and moons. Stars are people who shine brightly and give off light, while moons are more reclusive and borrow light. She’s sixteen and in trouble. Her boyfriend, Tim, has gotten her pregnant and she’s not sure what to do about the baby. Her mother and father are both distant and more involved in their activities outside of the family then they are with their children. Callisto spends much of her time caring for her younger brother. Her high school years are so ...more
Mary Klinkowsky
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
I truly wish Goodreads let you used half stars I would bump this book up to ⭐⭐1/2 stars. It wasn't a bad book, the writing was good but there was so much talk about the moon, stars and constellations. I understand it's all used as an analogy but there were paragraphs and pages I only spot read because the author (in my opinion) went on ad nauseum. When it's Cally and another person having dialogue it's great. The other bit that was annoying is 90% of it is told in the first person by Cally but e ...more
Nisha-Anne
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rereading this after more than ten years. I was rather shocked at how dark and depressing it is for a really really long time. I didn't remember that at all, I remembered it reflecting me exactly then. Which just goes to show, I suppose, my mental health then and now. Or at least what I craved from reading then and what I want from reading now. But for all the unrelenting misery and pretty upsetting gender dynamics, this novel resolves with such strength and ferocity and hope that it lifts you r ...more
D. E. Kerr
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
I read this book years ago, and it has stuck with me so much for reasons I cannot explain. Perhaps it's her brother, and (view spoiler) that has always stuck with me, that image is always stuck in my mind because it is such a haunting thing to think about, with a kid that young. But I found this book realistic in it's portrayal of teen pregnancy, and the stars and moons metaphors were beautiful, I remember thinking very much in Callisto' ...more
Charmaine Clancy
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aussie
A refreshing read with a lyrical voice. Sweet and sometimes sad, this was a very truthful portrayal of teenage conflict. This girl could be any 16yr old girl, balancing on that precarious see-saw of identity and peer pressure. Wonderful and believable portrayal of family and the struggles that come from such strong ties.

My only problem with this story was that the flooding of mixed metaphors that started out quirky and original, began to become tiresome by the second half of the book. Perhaps if
Meaghan
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I first read this I was too young to understand its and at the time simply dismissed it. After keeping it at the back of my bookshelf for a couple of months I gave it away to a library swap.

A decision I regretted a few years later when I realised that the story/themes had become relevant, interesting and unconventional. But I could not for the life of me remember the name or author.

Now finally by chance I have come across it and am looking to re-read it hopefully with a mature analytical
Theresa
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Finally, a YA book about teen pregnancy that isn't stupid. This book was wonderful, and I'm thrilled to finally read about a teen who deals with the issue of abortion in a way that isn't awful. It's sad that my standards are that low. But I loved Callisto, and Jeremy times a million. I love that their family deals with hard things in a way that isn't wrapped up so easily, but doesn't leave you aching. Four and a half stars.
Sarah Tilatitsky
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book will never get tired. Yet, this is not a fictional help-book. This book is for everything. This isn't really for enjoyment, but this is for...learning about walking in somebody's shoes for a while, and to find out the "other side." If one would want to call it that. Just read this book. And maybe enjoy. ☺
TheLibraryOfSarah
Absolutely phenomenal! I have never encountered more human and 3-dimensional characters. I loved to death all of the symbolism and metaphors about people and stars and planets and the universe. The only downside to this story is that there was so much effort put into the characters that the main plot was severely neglected... but I don't mind that, I loved it anyways.
Kim
Jul 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-and-youth
The story tells of a teen whose mother is so wrapped in her own life that she must arrange an abortion on her own. It's an interesting twist on the teen pregnancy storyline, although the overdone astronomy content turns teens off.
Rachael
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
a book i hold close to my heart.

Maddalenah
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australian
Un libro molto intenso, a tratti persino un po' soffocante, fa parte di una collana interessante (Contrasti) che purtroppo temo sia ormai sparita...
Kristina
Sep 26, 2010 rated it liked it
i loved every minute of it. What did annoy me was how it doesnt tell you how it ends. .
Naomi Nolet
This was one of my favourites as a teenager. Not only does it deal with issues like sex and teen pregnancy which at that age you just lap up, it is bursting with quirky metaphors.
Sarah Gunn
Such a beautiful story. I was given this book when I was about 14, and still love it.
Cassie
Feb 02, 2011 added it
This book was one of the most boring and confusing books ever
Brielle
Dec 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Interesting book about teenage pregnancy.
Carli Crocker
Jun 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
If there was a status for the books called "wish I didn't waste my time reading this book." I would have chose that.
Naomi Herring
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very good book for young adults.
Melissa
May 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
I had a hard time with this book. It focuses a lot on character development and not very much on story line. It meanders a lot as it's basically you listening in on her thoughts.
Rachel
  • Raincheck on Timbuktu
  • Leaving Jetty Road
  • The Good Daughter
  • After Summer
  • The Life and Times of Gracie Faltrain (Gracie Faltrain, #1)
  • When You Wake and Find Me Gone
  • All This Could End
  • Saltwater Moons
  • Pan's Whisper
  • Diary of a Jetsetting Call Girl (Nancy Chan, #3)
  • The Whole of My World
  • Notes from the Teenage Underground
  • Alaska
  • Slice
  • All in the Blue Unclouded Weather (The Melling Sisters, #1)
  • Five Parts Dead
  • Losing It
Anna Fienberg grew up in a house filled with books. Her mother was a teacher librarian who relished stories as much as chocolates. 'On Sunday mornings we'd all lie in bed with our books, lost in magical wardrobes, witches’ spells, genies’ magic… What we were going to read next was just as important in our family as what was for lunch!' says Anna.

Anna started writing stories when she was eight, but
More about Anna Fienberg...

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • Bad Boy
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99