Start by marking “Deathtrap Dungeon (Fighting Fantasy, #6)” as Want to Read:
Deathtrap Dungeon (Fighting Fantasy, #6)

Deathtrap Dungeon

(Fighting Fantasy #6)

Down in the twisting labyrinth of Fang, unknown horrors await you. Countless adventurers before you have takes up the challenge of the Trial of Champions, but not one has survived. Devised by the devilish mind of Baron Sukumvit, the labyrinth is riddled with fiendish traps and hideous creatures of darkness to trick and test you almost beyond the limits of endurance!

Two
Paperback
Published March 29th 1984 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Deathtrap Dungeon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deathtrap Dungeon

Start your review of Deathtrap Dungeon (Fighting Fantasy, #6)
Graham
DEATHTRAP DUNGEON is, put simply, the granddaddy of all FIGHTING FANTASY gamebooks. It comes second only to THE WARLOCK OF FIRETOP MOUNTAIN in terms of popularity, I think, but it actually improves on that first outing in terms of the amount of atmosphere and spine-tingling suspense that this one holds. There's a saying that simplicity always wins out over complication and that's certainly the case here: you're an adventurer, thrown into a dungeon and asked to get out the other side alive. ...more
Paul Christensen
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Faces laugh in beams of light;
Acid drips from stalactites;

Eat the fungus - you'll be swell;
If grubs don't get you, troglodytes will.

The Bloodbeast pulls you into a vat
Of corrosive slime and bubbling fat.

In Sukumvit's maze you must be clever,
And find the right gems, or be trapped forever.

David Sarkies
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Gamer Geeks wanting an interesting to me
Recommended to David by: Initially, my primary school - year 5 I think
Shelves: gamebook
A deadly competition in a deadly dungeon
18 June 2012

One of the things I like doing with roleplaying games is looking at how morally ambiguous many of them are. In a lot of cases they treat the universe with a very black and white mentality and force people into these categories without actually looking at the bigger picture. I guess this is the product of the 80s where the political spectrum was very black and white, with the communists being bad and the capitalists being good. My position is
Gianfranco Mancini
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, game-books

Far harder than most famous "Warlock of the Firetop Mountain" dungeon-bash Fighting Fantasy game-book and far better than I used to remember.

Some traps are just sadistic ones! Pick the wrong gem-eye from the idol? Die! Drink wrong potion? Die! Ouch.

Loved the demi-oriental setting, the Dungeons & Dragons vibe and the characters cast: the ninja is a badass son of bitch and Throm's fate was just really sad.

Bloodbeast! Pit Fiend! Giant Scorpion! Some opponents are so strong that if you roll low
Jaki
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: _owned
I died within 12 minutes. An emerald eye released a noxious gas and I fell to the floor in agony. It was a beautiful thing. I started the game/reading knowing that I would most likely die within the first few choices. I had a really high luck and stamina so any battles I entered into I came out relatively unscathed. I also had a habit of eating and drinking absolutely everything in my path - which surprisingly turned out really well. Something I'd probably already know if I had ever been a ...more
Bobatastic
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was only 9 years old when I got this book. And that was in the year 2010. I know this book is from the 80's and it's a different style to me. And I love it. I have never liked those adventure video games like skyrim and stuff. But this was amazing. The fighting system is genius and the story is awesome. I had a day of fun with this book. I finished it on the 3rd try, but it was the probably one of the best games I have ever played. 11/10
Ant
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Raises a glass to fallen comrades, you are missed Throm.
Cimuchowski
Oct 11, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I have read this time and again and never "won." Is it even possible?

P.S. Great art too.
Michael Kelly
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
By most people's reckoning, this was the best of all the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks. I'm not absolutely sure I agree with that (I always liked 'Midnight Rogue' best, having a passion for fantasy thievery), but it's a viewpoint I fully understand and respect.

The book is uniformly excellent. It lives up to its name, with a great many traps, some instantly lethal and others debilitating. Note taking and mapping is mandatory to finally win through.

There's no clever plot: it's simply a lethal dungeon
Neville Ridley-smith
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, gamebook, fantasy
Classic Livingstone.

Quite good flavour in this one. Decent background story and events that go along with it - ie seeing evidence of the other contestants and encountering some of them later.

Very Livingstone structure - ie main path with side events - eg a room with about 10 sections and then back to the main path. Some branching that then coalesces.

In terms of difficulty, it lives up to its name - the chances of getting through this on your first go are practically non-existent. That's probably
George
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Deathtrap dungeon was one of the early tools of escapism for anyone who preferred to charge a field yielding a sword rather than go to work. I decided to revisit it after many years and I still found its simplistic, straight to the point style very attractive.

Waves of nostalgia hit me when all my childhood heroes and nightmares jumped out of the book's pages to greet me once again. This is a definite 'must' for all romantics and a mini bible for role playing initiates of all ages. Just beware
Chris Whitty
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was obsessed with these fighting fantasy books as a kid. This would've been the best of the lot, but they were all good from what I remember. They're choose-your-own-adventure books with fighting involved as well.
I won't rate the other books in the series that I read, otherwise I'll be here all day.
Rupert Dreyfus
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is almost as old as me and I haven't read it in years. This series was responsible for getting me into reading. I read a lot from this series, however, Deathtrap Dungeon was probably my favourite.

If I remember rightly this book had the best artwork out of the entire series.
Urabe
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Liked this fighting fantasy. Combats where good and great artwork! (2002 version)
Munchausen_Trilemma
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
RPGeek cult-collectable. This is #6 of 59 in the series. I picked it up for $1.49 at half.com for my oldest, but last nite I got hooked. Surprisingly addictive retro-lofi-fun.

spoiler alert!!!

Absolutely DON'T try to remove the emerald eye from the Buddha statue and if you get to choose between fighting the Minotaur or the Scorpion, definitely go with minotaur! ;)
Jimbo
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Paul Gibbons
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book. You know its probably a bad idea to open the doors but you know your gonna lol - You really do start to understand why curiosity killed the cat in this one. I don't think you'll get that far if you don't open any doors. Anybody tried that ? lol - :-/ x Don't forget to stab the Blood Beast in the japs eye !
Biserka
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fighting-fantasy
This is the third Fighting Fantasy book I have read and I loved it. I even drew a map and everything.
If I'm comparing this book to The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, I think that this one was quite a bit harder, took me longer to finish, had more death endings and more traps or maybe it just seemed that way to me. In any case, I liked it and will be reading more of these.
Jeffrey
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gamebooks
I recently went back to this after not having read/played it for a number of years and I still really enjoy it. It annoys me trying to remember where all the traps were and what the easiest path to success is. But it's still thrilling to imagine oneself crawling the paths of a labyrinth.
Cupof Tea
Jul 10, 2012 rated it liked it
We played through a few times at the lake, and although we did make it to the final trials the Gnome put us through and defeated the monsters and fighters, then we needed gemstones we did not possess (for future reference, Emerald - Diamond - Sapphire) so we gave up :(
Aischa
Aug 20, 2015 marked it as to-read
It took me a lot of digging, and searching google images to find the title of this book. I read it back in the 80s, probably much too young. I died many times. The story stuck with me and do did the interior illustrations. Do not judge a book by its cover.
Miss Jools
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another failure! After some successful exploration and getting a hold of some goodies, I met my end after being a bit greedy...trying to steal a gem stone eye from a statue, which then released poisoned gas and killed me. Oh well!
Another good one, keen for another crack at it :)
Who
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
with one answer and dozens of failed choices you'll never know about until it's far too late, you'll be spending a long time on this one
Eddy
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tough, very old-school gamebook. I only cheated a little near the end, since I was so close!
Nick
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I laughed, I cried, I died multiple times.
D.
Deathtrap Dungeon (Fighting Fantasy) by Ian Livingstone (2002)
Magdolna Kilian
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
There was a time, when I liked this kind of fantasy and game together, so I read this, it was exciting to get to the end.
Hibburt Glenn
Mar 23, 2016 rated it liked it
It was a very, very long time ago.
Mael
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Part story, part game, this Is a book with a difference, one in which YOU become the hero!
Mark Bonello
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First book I ever owned.

• Flight from the Dark (Lone Wolf, #1)
  • The Shamutanti Hills (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #1)
  • Kharé - Cityport of Traps (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery! #2)
  • Icefire (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • The Fire Within (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #1)
  • The Akhenaten Adventure (Children of the Lamp, #1)
  • Fire on the Water (Lone Wolf, #2)
  • The Art of Conversation: How to Communicate Effectively by Refining Your Social Skills
  • Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success
  • Get Started in Writing Young Adult Fiction
  • The Light Hunters
  • The Bestseller Code: Anatomy of a Blockbuster Novel
  • Sky Thieves
  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1
  • Lord Valentine's Castle (Lord Valentine, #1)
  • Heart of Ice (Critical IF gamebooks)
  • NDN Coping Mechanisms: Notes from the Field
  • Amor de Perdição
Ian Livingstone has been in the interactive games industry for over 25 years. In the 1970s, he co-founded Games Workshop and launched Dungeons & Dragons in Europe, later editing White Dwarf magazine. In 1982, with Steve Jackson, he wrote the first of the Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks which eventually sold over 15 million copies in 23 languages. In 1995 he led the merger of computer games company ...more

Fighting Fantasy (1 - 10 of 64 books)
  • The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Fighting Fantasy: Reissues 1, #1)
  • The Citadel of Chaos (Fighting Fantasy, #2)
  • Forest of Doom (Fighting Fantasy: Reissues 1, #8)
  • Starship Traveller (Fighting Fantasy, Reissues 1, #4)
  • City of Thieves (Fighting Fantasy, #5)
  • Island of the Lizard King (Fighting Fantasy, #7)
  • Scorpion Swamp (Fighting Fantasy, #8)
  • Caverns of the Snow Witch (Fighting Fantasy, #9)
  • House of Hell (Fighting Fantasy, #10)
  • Talisman of Death (Fighting Fantasy: Reissues 1, #24)