Start by marking “In Jupiter's Shadow” as Want to Read:
In Jupiter's Shadow

In Jupiter's Shadow

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  22 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Searching for self-truth, a religious, teenage "detective" confronts Heaven and Hell as he struggles to solve the mysteries of sexuality and faith within a family full of secrets.
Published August 7th 2009 by Infinity Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about In Jupiter's Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Jupiter's Shadow

Jen Knox
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
In Jupiter's Shadow is a memoir that interweaves stories from childhood and young adulthood as Greg Gerard searches to understand his own desires and develop a clear sense of identity.
The scenes recaptured from Gerard's coming-of-age tale are vivid and well-written. The reader is introduced to an imaginative young boy, who craves adventures like those he reads about in mystery stories and feels a sort of disconnect from a dynamic cast of family members. Gerard recounts his desire to belong and
Sonja Livingston
Dec 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I blurbed this book--here's what I had to say: "Greg Gerard delights and entertains as he energetically and systematically tackles the mysteries of God, family, and later, sexuality. Making use of all the clues (in pop culture, relationships, and religion), Greg takes readers along on a colorful quest to solve the ultimate mystery; to discover a sense of self."
Grady
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
'I couldn't solve the mystery of my sexuality.'

One of the literary pleasures of this year is the discovery of a gifted new writer by the name of Gregory Gerard. Though IN JUPITER'S SHADOW is his first venture into the world of the novel, Gerard gives notice of a writer of great skill and a mind capable of understanding and relating the manner of thinking and coping with the world that faces the developing young people of today. This is a story rich in content, in conveying the parameters of life
Rose
Jun 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to Rose by: Greg Gerard
Gregory Gerard's memoir "In Jupiter's Shadow" is a coming of age story that pulls no punches in its portrayal. Told in a series of entries spanning across the years from his boyhood up until his years in college, it creates an interesting dynamic with the author's fascination with heroes in the mystery genre, including the title's namesake, taken from Detective Jupiter Jones from "The Three Investigators."

I received this as an offer to read electronically from the author himself (Thanks Greg), a
Tamara
Jun 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Stephanie
Feb 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

This book is written as a "memoir/mystery" of the author's life. It is the story of a boy growing up in a devout Catholic family, trying to understand himself.

I found the book very readable, but especially, very real. Gerard obviously has a good memory for the thoughts and feelings he had as a boy, and the whole novel rang very true. The mystery aspect dovetailed nicely with the memoir aspect, and I think it worked so well due to the au
Rochelle
Feb 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I received this book through Goodreads.

This was such an extremely well written book that it left me wanting to read the "rest" of the story about what happened after.
A boy's coming of age story and of struggling with his sexual orientation, mixed with his devotion to his church and God made this struggle and final acceptance seem very real.
His large family was so well delineated that I felt I would know some of them if I met them. I especially found his father a fascinating character as the auth
Suzanne
Jul 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a well written memoir of a young boy becoming a young man and learning about his sexuality in a world hostile to that view. I learned a great deal about the personal struggle of this young man who recognized that his feelings were not the norm in his family or his world. There is nothing brave or significant that draws the story out. The significance is that this is a truth for this young man and in his world that truth is not welcome.
Overall a lesson about the difficult decision this y
Carrie
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a great book. It is interesting to see a young boy become a detective while experiencing the changes of life.
I have to say I would have not picked this book up to read it if I saw it sitting on a shelf. I am so thrilled I had a chance to read it. It is the coming of age and the trials that we have to endure and sort through in life. The feelings of a young boy coming to terms with who he is.......WONDERFUL!!! Thank you Greagory Gerard you did a fantastic job. Thank you for the opportuni
Michael Potter
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Michael by: Gregory Gerard
I had the distinct pleasure of working on an early draft of this book after meeting the author at a literary conference in New Orleans. Alison Smith’s assessment of this memoir as “generous” and “big hearted” are spot on and I’d add “intimate,” “inventive,” and “essential” to the list of celebratory adjectives, as well, because this is a book for anyone who has ever felt like an outsider.

In Jupiter's Shadow is compelling nonfiction about coming of age in Upstate New York.
Shannon
May 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I know at the base this book was about a guy coming to terms with being gay but really I think deep down it is just about being true to yourself an doing what is right for you. I liked that normal childhood events happened and slowly the realization took place not some big drama. Also this book was funny all the other "characters" the family and friends and even the Opes were funny! Wonderful book and so glad I read it!
Vika
Feb 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
I couldnt read the book, sorry. :( This is only the 2nd book i haven't been able to finish. I only read part one, i'm not into homosexuality, and i certainly wouldn't want to read about it.
I think the author should include that in the description, that this book is about growing up as a gay catholic, or whatever (i skimmed through the book, so i know he had at least one relationship with a guy..)Just an opinion.
I got this book for free through Goodreads First Reads giveaway.
Brenda
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Great premise for a book, a topic that is hard to talk about but important. Needs refining. Details felt forced and juvenile (like middle school locker room talk),many could have been left out without compromising the core message. Would feel much better to sense the feelings, the struggle, the desires without the graphics. Would love to see it written less like a young teens diary and more of a process of growing and self-acceptance.
Tracy
Jul 09, 2010 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Recommended to Tracy by: won
This was a book that I got from goodreads as a free giveaway. It was a pretty good book. I read it in one weekend and found it to be very thought provoking and honest. I am giving this book to a friend and hope she will find it as good as I did. It is a book about finding yourself. It is a memoir and it is one mans jounrey to find his own truth. Very good book.
Baron Frosti
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moving memoir of growing up gay in the 80s.
Belay_on
Mar 01, 2010 rated it liked it
I won this book on goodreads (yeah!), and even though I don't really relate to the story, I still enjoyed reading it.
Eric Wilder
Diane Vinesett
Judith Musick
Kim
Feb 25, 2010
Gregory Gerard's work has been published by Tiny Lights, Lake Affect, and Jonathan. He teaches writing part-time at Writers & Books, Rochesters adult literary center, and has been a guest instructor at the University of Rochester's Scholars Creative Writing Program.

His memoir, IN JUPITER'S SHADOW, chronicles a religious boy's struggle with forbidden attraction. His serial fiction, THE MARTINI